ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Florida's environment needs your help. Please think about this...

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
From our long association on here, I know most of you as pretty conscientious guys. I know many of you are sportsmen, boaters, divers, surfers and fishermen. We are all Floridians.

If you live anywhere close to the Caloosahatchee or St Lucie Rivers ( in Lee and Maine counties, respectively), or anywhere along the adjacent coastline you likely have known about this problem. It has been going on for years. Because of national attention, some of you from outlying sections of the state may be learning about the disaster of Lake Okeechobee and its toxic runoff for the first time.

Its getting ready to be a public health issue. The toxic green slime can cause kidney damage, and the ever-increasing Red Tide blooms from runoff nutrients, cause respiratory issues.

While I was up in Maine sailing, fishing guide friends sent pictures to me of hundreds of dead (huge) breeder snook. They came into the beaches to spawn and got caught in the red tide. There were also dead Tarpon, sea turtles, manatee and tens of thousands of smaller fishes. This winter you could hardly oyster because of the FWC Red Tide closures. Its been building for 20 years with inaction by those who we voted into office.

The hit on the economy is going to be catastrophic-sport and commercial fishing, rentals, tourism, etc.

This is a problem our State's Politicians have allowed to occur. This includes our Senators and Congressmen; because the Army Corps of Engineers is eyeball deep in what's going on, via how they manage Lake O levels and the things they allow the money-grubbers to be pumped in. Why? Because they're beholden to Big Sugar, Disney (The Kissimmee River where their discharge flows, is 60% of the flow into Lake O), Big Ag, and Residential Developers. In addition, State politicians have been misappropriating funds for Amendment 1 passed by Florida voters in 2014 to do things to protect the Everglades like redirecting flow to historical patterns before Big Sugar began hording it and backwashing into the lake, the Corps and SWFTMD began altering it.

Please vote and get involved with this. Its one thing for Carl Haaisan to write novels about how corrupt Florida politicians are - but this shows how based in reality that is.

Gov. Scott has known about this issue from day one in office. He has done little to nothing except try and blame the Corps of Engineers. The only reason you're seeing Gov Scott and Sen. Nelson trying to out-do each other in a BS show of paper shuffling like they're coming to the rescue, is because they are running against each other for the senate. It's a problem they helped create by inaction. They have been shamed into paying attention to it by the people.

Write your politicians, VOTE and/or join one of the half dozen or so organizations like Captains for Clean Water, Save the Everglades, any of the anti-Big Sugar organizations, etc.

Last edited:
We can only thank the big corporations that is fact a huge cause of these issues. Then there’s the governments from all over the world that allows dumping. Here’s a good one a lot of ppl don’t know, after WW2 UK placed thousands of barrels of Nazi made toxic chemicals into the English Channel !!!!!!

I’m a conservative but I can’t stand big corporations that dump their crap in our waters around the word.

China is so polluted that google satellites can’t even get a clear photo of that country and they have rivers that are bright blue!!!

Arcadia is fixing to have a huge Phosphate expansion, I lived through two spills as a kid on the Peace River - newspaper estimated it killed 3 million fish and eliminated 12 sepcies from the river.

Phosphate mining is co
Arcadia is fixing to have a huge Phosphate expansion, I lived through two spills as a kid on the Peace River - newspaper estimated it killed 3 million fish and eliminated 12 sepcies from the river.

Mosaic is big money SilverKing. What they want, they get.

Yeah, understand that, the skids have already been greased, I'm sure. I freaking sick of those upper river countie politicians cutting deals. Phosphate has tourtured this river and harbor. Just found an article today from a court case that revealed in 1971, 90% of the fish in the Peace River died after that spill - and people say they needed the space and just bulldozed the clay sludge holding pit so it would fail..

Phosphate is needed but the way they are going about to get it is killing the ecosystem!!!! I’m all for growth but just look at Ft Meade if you want to see what phosphate companies leave behind!!!! That place is a ghost town and they have to go to Bartow or Wauchula just to get groceries…

Here's an article about the 1971 Spill that described Ft Meade even back then.

This was the 3rd spill we experienced (67, 68 & 71) my father, who retired to a home on the banks of the Peace River from FDNY after dreaming about fishing for decades - he put the house up for sale a week after this spill because we expereinced the 1967 spill also. He and my mom moved to the other coast, and I finsihed my last semester of HS staying with an older sister. I ended up buying a house 7 lots down on the river and still live here.

PEACE RIVER VICTIM OF POLLUTION

Sarasota Herald-Tribune (DECEMBER 8,1971)

“From its source near the moonscape wasteland of the Fort Mead mining country to its mouth at Charlotte Harbor… the Peace River has been poisoned by fish-killing phosphate pollution that has turned it the color of well creamed coffee.

The pollution entered the river Friday when a holding damn at the City Services phosphate mining plant in Fort Meade burst and released millions of gallons of sludgy residue into the river and adjacent swampy lowlands.

By Tuesday afternoon, the phosphate slime had traveled more than 60 miles to the US 41 bridge over the river at Punta Gorda and now the fear was that an outgoing-tide would send it into Charlotte Harbor, generally considered one of the cleanest in Florida."

and to think, I use to go swimming in Peace River all year long whenever I was a kid in elementary and early junior high. I haven't touched Peace River since the early 80s!!!! I sure do miss jumping off the HWY17 Bridge or a tall tree...That was so fun back then..
Today I wouldn't go in that water if I was paid a million dollars. Mosaic and the others before them has ruined the whole ecosystem from the Green Swamp all the way down to Charlotte Harbor... Then there's the west side of Polk and Hardee County where hundreds of creeks are no longer creeks, dried up wells, just too many issues they cause.

From Phosphate they create:

Phosphoric Acid which is used in sodas, canned foods and many other things to help preserve.

Sulfuric Acid, one of the deadliest acids created by man. I recall back in the 80s in Ft Meade there was a Sulfuric Acid spill at one of mines on SR HWY 630 West of Ft Meade and two men died from the spill. Actually the Sulfuric Acid spill onto them and their bodies/skin just melted right off of them. There has been incidents where the train cars are filled with Sulfur. The train cars full of sulfur has to be connected with steam to melt the sulfur into a liquid because in those train cars the sulfur hardens. Well there has been workers who have died because sulfur can release a chemical that smells like rotten eggs and its very deadly. There has been a few people who has died because they did not have the correct breathing apparatus. I use to do this and man let me tell you it was scary to think about what happened to the workers who died from that.

They also create a few types of fertilizer which is needed. In the Ohio valleys whenever the Mississippi River floods many fields gets washed out and all the nutrients are washed away. So, there are many things we do need from the Phosphate but they need to go about getting it more safely, and more stricter because they are killing the land they dig in.

Here's a Northwest Florida commentary on how Scott is in with Big Sugar. https://www.pnj.com/story/opinion/2...ick-scott-needs-sucker-vote-senate/891049002/

I have to say that all the fertilizer dumped on yards and golf courses doesn't help the water either. But, what politicians don't understand is that the Everglades filter the impurities out of the water. Of course, no one expected that many impurities. Red Tide is a serious health risk, especially for the retiree population in Florida. Something needs to be done immediately.

Nelson's had 30 years to fix it and has done little or nothing. These two politicians, just like Scott and who he ran against for governor means one o them is probably going to win. Both are bad for Florida's water which is in catastrophic mode right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT