ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions needed

anon_00zx5879k0jmw

Oct 19, 2004
On a kick off return when a player who is receiving the ball waives one or both hands, is it or is it not a stoppage of play once the player catches the ball?

The refs were bad this past Friday on both sides of the ball and they did not STOP the play after the kick off returner waived not just one but BOTH hands/arms in the air.

Where is that ref that gets on here. What is up with these refs these days? Do they even read the book or just make their own assumption of what the rule is?

What is up with these refs these days? Do they even read the book or just make their own assumption of what the rule is?
A person from the NE corner of the state (who shall remain unnamed) has been convinced for years that all FL HS referees are alien life forms that has been sent from another planet. He claims their only mission is to screw-up the game completely and drive coaches out their minds. He also maintains that their leader has infiltrated our message board, coming here regularly to axst stupid questions usually prefaced by "What do you mean by ... ?

"

Reactions: blackpopsicle
HardeeWildcatFan, the ball is dead as soon as it caught by an R player, and if in the officials judgment, the fair catch signal was not valid, there would be a five yard penalty from the end of the kick for an invalid fair-catch signal. What else happened in the game that you thought that the officials got wrong?

Yes, that would be a fair catch signal. If the player is touched after the catch then it should be a penalty.
The good ref's were on the east coast last weekend. Thank you Jambun for sending them over. God knows we complained enough. lol

HardeeWildcatFan, the ball is dead as soon as it caught by an R player, and if in the officials judgment, the fair catch signal was not valid, there would be a five yard penalty from the end of the kick for an invalid fair-catch signal. What else happened in the game that you thought that the officials got wrong?

Too bad HardeeWildcatFan no longer volunteers as the cameraman, because he would post clips of the game so you'd know what he was talking about.

On the kickoff return, the return team player clearly waived his arm above his head, then tucked it and ran. I suppose he told the ref he was waving at his friends in the stands.

A person from the NE corner of the state (who shall remain unnamed) has been convinced for years that all FL HS referees are alien life forms that has been sent from another planet. He claims their only mission is to screw-up the game completely and drive coaches out their minds. He also maintains that their leader has infiltrated our message board, coming here regularly to axst stupid questions usually prefaced by "What do you mean by ... ?

"
What a tool that person is. But just because a dude is paranoid doesn't mean that evil is not out to get him.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
... just because a dude is paranoid doesn't mean that evil is not out to get him.

Fortunately Nu'Trelle aint never been paranoid, but he did have to quit going to football games after he seen that the players was forming into small circles an talkin about him between plays.

Hwy17, was the sun still out or were the lights very bright at the stadium? The reason that I asked is that there is a provision that allows for a receiver to shade his eyes as long as the action is not considered an invalid fair catch signal by the official, although what you and Hardee fan have described to me sure sounds like an invalid fair catch signal.

jambun82 first the player waived BOTH hands in the air. Second the refs threw their flags. Third the refs waived off the flags because they said the player was waiving BOTH his arms and hands in the air to tell his teammates that he was getting the ball. There is NO rule whatsoever allowing this so are these refs becoming like the US Supreme Court now by making their own rules as the game goes along. If a player waives one or two hands the play is dead once he catches the ball. I think these refs come from the Ridge Association, not 100% if Hardee still uses them currently.

jambun82 first the player waived BOTH hands in the air. Second the refs threw their flags. Third the refs waived off the flags because they said the player was waiving BOTH his arms and hands in the air to tell his teammates that he was getting the ball. There is NO rule whatsoever allowing this so are these refs becoming like the US Supreme Court now by making their own rules as the game goes along. If a player waives one or two hands the play is dead once he catches the ball. I think these refs come from the Ridge Association, not 100% if Hardee still uses them currently.

Pretty sure they are from the Gulf Coast Officials Association.

Yes, Hardee Fan, it definitely sound that you have a valid argument. Also, I love the Supreme Court reference. I wonder which Justices they prefer, Ginsberg, Breyer, or the Hispanic Lady who admits that she uses feelings and personal prejudices into her rulings lol. As a History Major, and as thankful and grateful I am to the Founding fathers, I always felt that one big flaw was that the Judicial Branch was too powerful, and the checks and balances favored this Branch over the Executive and Legislative Branches. I hate to see that I was right, and I think that we are all paying for it. Hardee Fan, anytime that you have a question or comment about officials in the games that you attend, I am happy to help out when I can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT