ADVERTISEMENT

New Gator QB Commit

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
While I love a quality commitment, I just have to wonder what they will do with all those QBs. They went through this a few years ago. QBs were transferring out and excelling at other schools. I really don't want to see that again. I also have issues with an out-of-state higher ranked player coming in -and playing ahead of in-state commits. We always want to support local players first.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/matt-corral-quarterback-long-beach-poly-florida-recruiting

Its a biz Choc, and smart tactic at this point in the process. There is no loyalty other than the "W" column. In some cases it prevents a competitor in your conference from getting that Q that could hurt you. If they caught in numbers, they can always withdraw an offer from some 6'7" OT with long arms they "think" they can develop.

With the players this state produces, its more likely a higher ranked Floridian will drop in and play in front of lessor ranked players in their home states. In lower division football and Junior Colleges, they have a mandatory number of in-state athletes they have to sign.

My boys were over last night for dinner and we watched a re-run of Texas A&M vs Tennessee from last year instead of Mark Phelps racing an imaginary shark, we're so desperate for football.

Football will be back in 4 weeks. And, the best game of the first weekend will be FSU vs. Alabama!

This guys was being pursued by Georgia. I agree that it sounds like a defensive move for the Gators.

Reactions: Silver King
Fields is most likely going to FSU... have no idea why you would be critical of this commitment. Our highest ranked QB ever if he signs

Fields is most likely going to FSU... have no idea why you would be critical of this commitment. Our highest ranked QB ever if he signs
I believe it says all we need to know about the development of Franks, long term. As well as perhaps saying something about the Notre Dame transfer chances to eventually starting this season as well. Nothing defensive at all about this offer and commitment. Mac's biggest problems on offense the last 2 years started and stopped with the QB position.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: peezy28
Its a biz Choc, and smart tactic at this point in the process. There is no loyalty other than the "W" column. In some cases it prevents a competitor in your conference from getting that Q that could hurt you. If they caught in numbers, they can always withdraw an offer from some 6'7" OT with long arms they "think" they can develop.

With the players this state produces, its more likely a higher ranked Floridian will drop in and play in front of lessor ranked players in their home states. In lower division football and Junior Colleges, they have a mandatory number of in-state athletes they have to sign.

My boys were over last night for dinner and we watched a re-run of Texas A&M vs Tennessee from last year instead of Mark Phelps racing an imaginary shark, we're so desperate for football.
Silver I've watched a re-run of the 1985 Southeast Playoff game against Melbourne HS, the 1985 Manatee versus Southeast game, the 1984 Lakeland versus Jacksonville Sandalwood playoff game and Manatee's 1992 state final game against Dillard all this summer, yeah I'd say I'm ready for some football too!

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Silver King
1st post to the forum but felt compelled on this one. Full disclosure I'm a South FLA. native and a homegrown Gator fan. I've been living/coaching in Southern California for the last 6 years. Never seen Corral live just seen film and he is quite talented. However, I wouldn't put too much faith into his commitment to UF. He's already decommitted to USC and transferred from Oaks Christian to LB Poly under some fight allegations with another student.

Side note: can't wait for the STA and St. John Bosco game this year. Hope Bosco gets done in by a FLA team as a little payback from a loss we took from Bosco last year.

Reactions: peezy28
I believe it says all we need to know about the development of Franks, long term. As well as perhaps saying something about the Notre Dame transfer chances to eventually starting this season as well. Nothing defensive at all about this offer and commitment. Mac's biggest problems on offense the last 2 years started and stopped with the QB position.

Go Canes Go!

He came in as a QB Guru... I feel if he doesn't fix that this year... he could be out... Winning the SEC east is Cool but I am sure they want to see SEC Titles as well as beating your main rival. UF will win 9 games a year easily just off of defense but they need their offensive GURU to help them get over the hump.

Pezzy,
Believe your being just a bit too rigid with your expectations for this year, in as far as what it could mean for coach Mac's future tenure at Florida. The last two years, he's been lucky to field an offense with a pulse. Which can be directly attributed to the limitations at the QB position that he presented with. Folks at Florida realize that and while no one expects more the same this year, I believe the level of expectations is in line with what can be reasonably expected for the type QB situation Florida now possesses. Florida should be better offensively this year, but no one is expecting Florida to lead the SEC in every measured offensive category, or else...................

Go Canes Go!

Pezzy,
Believe your being just a bit too rigid with your expectations for this year, in as far as what it could mean for coach Mac's future tenure at Florida. The last two years, he's been lucky to field an offense with a pulse. Which can be directly attributed to the limitations at the QB position that he presented with. Folks at Florida realize that and while no one expects more the same this year, I believe the level of expectations is in line with what can be reasonably expected for the type QB situation Florida now possesses. Florida should be better offensively this year, but no one is expecting Florida to lead the SEC in every measured offensive category, or else...................

Go Canes Go!

Gman I am no Gator fan (a nole in fact) but you know I follow all the florida teams closely and to me I think UF is doing theirselves a disservice by lowering their expectations... He is an offensive minded guy and supposedly a QB Guru... He SHOULD be developing winners at the QB position... The fact he brought in Zaire tells me he may have failed in that aspect.

Gman I am no Gator fan (a nole in fact) but you know I follow all the florida teams closely and to me I think UF is doing theirselves a disservice by lowering their expectations... He is an offensive minded guy and supposedly a QB Guru... He SHOULD be developing winners at the QB position... The fact he brought in Zaire tells me he may have failed in that aspect.
Peezy,

You and I look at this a little differently, I believe his struggles stem from an inability to recruit top tier talent. He's struggled the last 2 years to really have his class firmed up until signing day. That however doesn't appear to be the case this coming year, as next years 2018 class of verbal's has already achieved a #11 rating with a 5* QB leading the way. Now you want to talk about some biting of nails, and more grey hair on the scalp.........that was going on with more than just a few Florida fans the last 2 years prior to signing day. I watch Franks during the state championship his senior year and then his 1st spring game.............I wasn't particularly impressed. Yeah I agree in one sense that Zaire showing up on the scene, means coach Mac wasn't so sure Franks was going to be his guy long term. I expect a better offense this year, just not prepared to allow myself to believe its going to be an offense that can take some pressure of the defense yet.........this defense will still be the strength of the Florida team once again.

Go Canes Go!

I agree with your take on Franks... one of the reasons he was good in high school (IMO) is because he has a 6'5 225lb WR playing against 5A and lesser comp... Keith Gavin Dominated just throw the ball in his direction and not many high school corners were going to have much luck defending him.

Much like Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans at Tex A&M... When you go back to see Johnny's passing highlights most were 50 50 jump balls won by talented WRs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT