ADVERTISEMENT

My new task: the Orlando Citrus Bowl District

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
As some of you know I do urban analytics and design.... I got the motherload recently and we're working on doing some cool stuff (public spaces, etc) neat the Citrus Bowl (site of state championships).

I have an important question or two....

What are your unmet needs when you go to the games

What would you like to see. Name an area to base it off of

Would you stay near the stadium in a hotel if the area was improved

One thing is for sure- southern live oaks will be proposed to provide shade over tailgate areas! Cars can still park, trees in rows on grass lots

Ok, all jokes aside. In the last few years only in the NE corner of the stadium have they allowed paying customers to enter the ball park an hour before kickoff. Hundreds of us fans are milling about waiting for the gates to open. There are no fountains, benches, or anything artistically pleasing to view. Of the four corners of the stadium this one is the most jammed up ( small common area ). However the westside, with a large parking area, has a wide fairly new sidewalk along its full length (500ft). It's just a concrete slab now. But it could be a starting point, a blank canvas for a young hot shot city planner trying to make a name for himself. Before, between, and after events it could be an attractive public gathering area. Which as of now is non existent anywhere on the property. Off course until those giant oaks mature, rustic wood timbers configured for shade could help tame the setting sun on that side. Benches, sitting walls, pavers, picnic tables, fountains (drinking and others), flowers, shrubs, etc. Well... #justathought

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
What are your unmet needs when you go to the games

Hotels and restaurants withing walking distance. Also, clean up the neighborhood around the stadium. If it's here to stay, they need to do whatever is needed to increase the crowds. There are a lot of bowl games at that stadium and the crowds are usually small.

Would you stay near the stadium in a hotel if the area was improved

If they built a parking garage, people would have shade waiting to get into the games and could tailgate in a cooler environment. Do people chose to tailgate rather than go to a restaurant nearby?

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT