ADVERTISEMENT

More violence during HS football game - this time in NJ

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
The teaser for this story on this morning's "Today Show" (NBC) was "Yet more violence in HS sports."

OT and DE get locked-up on line of scrimmage, DE pulls OT to the ground using face mask. OT's headgear comes off in DE's right hand. DE takes a full swing at OT, hitting him across the face with his own helmet, and opening up a gash that requires kid to be taken to the hospital for 10 stitches. Defensive team was penalized, but offending player was not ejected.

Administrative people from the injured players HS took game film to local police and asked that the DE be charged with a criminal offense.

Here's footage of the play. For best view of foul, check at about the 1:00 minute mark.

What the hell is going on in today's society? How low have we sunk?

It was inexcusable but there should not be criminal charges, in my opinion. The offender should have been thrown out of the game and out of the league. That kind of behavior does not belong on any sports field. But when you turn this into a criminal offense, you get in big trouble. Soon any kind of hit will be considered criminal by Little Johnny's mom and dad. Get rid of the offenders and play a clean game!

I was aware that the offender wasn't ejected and couldn't believe it. Can I bring my crowbar out onto the field next week?

Update: The Linden (NJ) Public Schools have suspended the offending player for 10 school days, plus he has been dismissed from the team. No word on pending criminal charges, if any.

To Choctaw_fan: If we're talking about inflicting injury during the normal course of a football play (e.g., block, tackle, shove out-of-bounds, etc), Nu'Trelle would agree with you. Pressing criminal charges would most likely put those involved on a very slippery slope.

But clearly, the offensive player was injured after being struck in the head with his own helmet. There is no play in football where you execute your assignment by first removing the opponent's helmet, then using it as a weapon to bash him in the head/face.

Consider this: You're in Wal-Mart pushing your cart through the aisles, perhaps hoping like most wimmens in SW FL, to bump into Silver King. As you roll through the Sporting Goods section, a 16-17 year old punk grabs a Riddell off the shelf, smacks you upside the head hard as he can. You need 10 stitches to close the wound and maybe additional treatment for other head injuries. Should the kid be prosecuted? Yes or no?

The important message we must impart to kids who play football is this: Wearing a football uniform `will NOT give you immunity from being prosecuted for an act so eggregious as to be deemed "aggravated assault".

Reactions: NMColtsFan06
I was aware that the offender wasn't ejected and couldn't believe it. Can I bring my crowbar out onto the field next week?
According to news sources, official(s) caught the face mask infraction, but claimed they did not see the DE swing the helmet due to the fact it was away from the play.

As for bringing your crowbar on to the field, no problem. Just don't bring it into the stands where Nu'Trelle could possibly be sitting with a few local trailer park wimmens.

It looks to me like the "above the rules" behavior by today's NFL and NCAA players has trickled down to high school. Though it's shocking to see, it's not really surprising.

According to news sources, official(s) caught the face mask infraction, but claimed they did not see the DE swing the helmet due to the fact it was away from the play.

As for bringing your crowbar on to the field, no problem. Just don't bring it into the stands where Nu'Trelle could possibly be sitting with a few local trailer park wimmens.

Arrest the officials for criminal negligence.

Number 1 was getting a roller skate ride and din't like it. Getting your butt kicked in a football game is not a valid reason for felonious assault - in hand to hand combat training, the military teaches how to use a helmet to kill someone - if that's all that's handy - just as dead as a bayonet or bullet can.

Now I can't believe how the entire officiating crew could miss that - the incident was away enough from the scrum where one of two refs in that quadrant should have seen them clearly. The white hat must have no peripheral vision; he swings the helmet less than 8 yards in front of him as he's walking forward and into the shot as the OT has his hands up - how did he miss it?

Last edited:
Even in a five man officiating crew, there is always a mechanic for the backside wing official to see action away from the point-of-attack. I am not sure what happened in this circumstance, but I wonder if there was any lead up to this incident, like there usually is when extracurricular action happens.

Arrest the officials for criminal negligence.
Although it's unlikely a D.A. would attempt to prosecute on grounds of "criminal negligence", the fact that the crew conspired to watch an act of felonious assault and take no action to aid the victim means it's entirely possible they could all be busted (ala "George, Kramer, Elaine and Jerry") for violation of the "Good Samaritan Law".

It looks to me like the "above the rules" behavior by today's NFL and NCAA players has trickled down to high school. Though it's shocking to see, it's not really surprising.
Believe it or not, Nu'Trelle can envision himself actin out like some of today's players. Probably the only reason he stayed straight was that no one in is life was preaching the idea that thug life was the answer.

Yeah, things for Nu'Trelle mghta turned out a whole lot different. What if Pat Boone had been singin songs about killing police? What if Neil Sedaka had been encouraging him to steal cars and knock off some convenience stores? What if Bobby Vinton had been ordering him to go knock some b--tches out after class?

And if that didn't seal the deal, what if Mom threw in the towel, went on meth and campaigned to convince Nu'Trelle that society was so down on him that the only answer was to forget about studyin and get busy tryin to figure out how to get over on people in order to take back what shoulda been his in the furse place.

Ooooh yeah ... that's how Nu'Trelle mighta coulda roll.

Last edited:
Although it's unlikely a D.A. would attempt to prosecute on grounds of "criminal negligence", the fact that the crew conspired to watch an act of felonious assault and take no action to aid the victim means it's entirely possible they could all be busted (ala "George, Kramer, Elaine and Jerry") for violation of the "Good Samaritan Law".

" criminal indifference" .....classic

Go to your local Jiffy store and hit someone upside the head with a football helmet. Wouldn't you go to jail?

Impersonating someone who knows what the hell they are doing? Depraved portrayal of possessing football knowledge through passing a test and hanging out with like minded a-holes that want to make the game about them?
If those aren't crimes, they damn sure ought to be.

Watch your post reply button, Jambone, I know where you hang out.

Blackpopsicle, one day maybe we can meet and "iron out our differences" and I can show you that officials are good people too. (Not that I am claiming to be an official.)

Blackpopsicle, one day maybe we can meet and "iron out our differences" and I can show you that officials are good people too. (Not that I am claiming to be an official.)
Very good post..... I like that.. You remind me of my jump master in 101st AB..

SK - Nu'Trelle have made a small bet on rock and rock music and truly need your expertise.
It's true that the classic Jimi Henricks hit "Purple Hayes" was written about Woody's daughter, right?

We HAVE differences man, but nothing that needs ironing. They're just jokes.

Now, go get confused about something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT