ADVERTISEMENT

More no shows then participants at Daytona referee clinic ( full contact scrimmages )

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
Mainland hosted Spruce Creek, Matanzas High, and a team of aspiring referees ( a few dozen ) in a 4hr scripted and controlled head knocker. Why Atlantic, Flagler Palm Coast, Deltona, University(Orange City), and Seabreeze backed out at the last minute is anyone's guess. Was it a money thing ? A transportation issue ? Were the teams infected with an illness ? The Zika virus ? Bad chicken wings ? Or as some were speculating, yours truly among them, lack of coaching " Backbone." A Seabreeze High coach was spotted with a note pad on the far sideline watching two district opponents, Mainland and Matanzas, smack each other around. Why his team wasn't with him is troubling to this Mainland homer. Unprepared, disorganized, embarrassed, and scared come to mind. No high school football player in America would pass up a free opportunity, and a week early, to go full contact with another football team. Coach Beach would have been there. Coach RD would have been there....enough said
Kickoff classics next week
Mainland at Lake Mary
Spruce Creek at Lake Brantley
Matanzas at Green Cove Springs (edit)

Last edited:
Did plenty of refs show? Did they all get the training needed? To me, that's the most important thing. I'm amazed that schools did not show but the weather has been bad down here for over a week.

We had transportation issues. We're not able to get over in coaches cars, lol!! Seriously, we couldn't get multiple buses so our HC cancelled. Kids were disappointed they were looking forward to coming.

5 teams back out last minute? Sounds like possibly a lack of organization.

DPHS, there was no lack of organization from the people who put the clinic together.

5 teams back out last minute? Sounds like possibly a lack of organization.
Lack of organization on the part of the five no show teams is a possibility. Sounds like University has already admitted to this. Dozens of referees were there long before the 9am scheduled start. As far as reasons for the other four not to attend read the threads original post. Pick one. Hopefully Dr Phillips won't use one in a couple months when they have the opportunity to man-up.

haha Dan I don't have a team anymore. I'm sure Dr. Phillips will show up and be ready to play. I heard they lost a stud LB. Maybe Pipe Dreams who actually roots for DP can tell us.

Maybe everyone was scared to play Mainland so they backed out. Not sure why it didn't happen at the Osceola scrimmage. Maybe Apopka, Osceola and Bishop Moore don't scare anyone.

Maybe I will see you at a game this year. I will probably make it to one Mainland game. Take care

Maybe I will see you at a game this year. I will probably make it to one Mainland game. Take care
Coach, I mixed you up again with Pipe Dreams. Didn't realize till after being a smart ass. Hope Osceola wasn't your last rodeo. Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT