ADVERTISEMENT

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Kwanza and Festivus

Here's not your typical Christmas song, but from a great movie in its day.
SK, had that JC Superstar on 8 Track tape way back in '71-'72. Liked the Rock/Opera film version too...... Always wondered why Jesus, the Jew from Nazareth, is portrayed as a Scandinavian looking fellow. Light colored hair with blonde streaks, fair skinned, and at times blue eyes. Even two thousand years later people of that region don't resemble that appearance. Maybe the world today would have less hate if his imagine were more accurate to those who live in that part of the world. Oh well, wishfull thinking on my part....

Yeah, I was channel surfing last night and came across the rock opera. Couldn't help but watch the whole damn thing. We did Xmas Eve last night because my middle son is a firefighter and was working today and tomorrow - so I made my three boys and their girls watch it.

I said that again last night watching it about the blue eyed Jesus, then having the brother play Judas. He makes the movie.

I think it may have been intentional to throw a racial tinge to it, given the times. A lot of social issues of the day going on in that rock opera - poverty, politics, woman's rights, an anti-Vietnam slant via the portrayal of Militarism - soldiers with spears but also MP-38 schmesiers (WWII) and Uzis (The Arab / Israeli 6-day War).

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Yeah, I was channel surfing last night and came across the rock opera. Couldn't help but watch the whole damn thing. We did Xmas Eve last night because my middle son is a firefighter and was working today and tomorrow - so I made my three boys and their girls watch it.

I said that again last night watching it about the blue eyed Jesus, then having the brother play Judas. He makes the movie.

I think it may have been intentional to throw a racial tinge to it, given the times. A lot of social issues of the day going on in that rock opera - poverty, politics, woman's rights, an anti-Vietnam slant via the portrayal of Militarism - soldiers with spears but also MP-38 schmesiers (WWII) and Uzis (The Arab / Israeli 6-day War).
Agree with your "Superstar" assessment. It was a product of the late '60's early '70's militaristic culture vs. the free love generation...Now back to the western version of Jesus's appearance. Not even Renaissance masters painted his middle eastern heritage with their predominance of dark/black flowing hair. I get the Santa-St Nick white hair, not the brown/blonde God of Galilee.

Yes, you'd have to climb a number of latitudinal lines to get into that blond hair and blue eyed region.

Then again artists were an integral part of the early development of mass marketing religion and had the job of spreading the word to their people first, before exporting it. The Germans, French and some Northern Italians could have fit that.

The difference may have been intentional to set him apart. Or, maybe he was a fisherman, in the sun all the time and something he was coating his nets with, caused a Billy Idol like bleach job.

Anyway Merry Christmas.

Yes, you'd have to climb a number of latitudinal lines to get into that blond hair and blue eyed region.

Then again artists were an integral part of the early development of mass marketing religion and had the job of spreading the word to their people first, before exporting it. The Germans, French and some Northern Italians could have fit that.

The difference may have been intentional to set him apart. Or, maybe he was a fisherman, in the sun all the time and something he was coating his nets with, caused a Billy Idol like bleach job.

Anyway Merry Christmas.
Same to you man, wish you and family the best...

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT