ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee High Def. Coordinator Hire

Interesting hire of Johnnie Jones former Booker HC as Defensive Coordinator, thoughts anyone?
That is an interesting hire. Jones did a good job for Booker before being asked to leave and to this day there are stories that are complete opposites as to why. Played at USF under Leavitt so one would assume a good hire.... anyone else?

He was the head coach of Booker and also coached at Lakewood Ranch the past couple years. I have been hearing that Manatee AD does the hiring and Booth doesn't have much say so. I'm not sure how true that it is but there have been rumblings about Jones bumping heads with other coaches.

I'm not convinced how good a job he did at Booker, Marlon Mack was kind of hard to mess up and they still went 3-8 and 7-4. Their scheme was unsound on D. Gaps unaccounted for, front side and back side didn't match up at times. Almost like the coverage was being called independent of the front. I'd be interested to see what the guys at Lakewood Ranch thought of him schematically. Now I get that if you don't have a solid staff it is hard to be sound across the board in only 2 years. I'd say he is kind of an unknown hire for what could be and has been one of the better programs in the state.

Reactions: CoachMacho
Im not getting any warm and fuzzys about this hire...........meanwhile the guy he fired before Choate help coach the defense at Saint Stephens to a off FHSAA classification state title last year............go figure?

Go Canes Go!

He was the head coach of Booker and also coached at Lakewood Ranch the past couple years. I have been hearing that Manatee AD does the hiring and Booth doesn't have much say so. I'm not sure how true that it is but there have been rumblings about Jones bumping heads with other coaches.

Wow.
Have to wonder how long will Booth put up with that.
:(

On another note, Manatee is playing Braden River this year. This game is long overdue.

Reactions: peezy28
On another note, Manatee is playing Braden River this year. This game is long overdue.

They've played before, but a tiff of some sort between the coaching staffs apparently prevented the game being played recently. Braden River would have almost assuredly had Manatee's number the last couple of years, so it will be good from a county rivalry standpoint to see the game played. Because of the new playoff qualification point system the Manatee/Southeast isn't being played this year. Manatee loaded the schedule with teams that will aid in acquiring points outside of the district games.

Manatee could be pretty darn good this year, or they could crash similar to what happen last year. The talent is going to be there regardless, it simply comes down how good this coaching staff is top to bottom to get the most it can from that talent? The only other questions on offense would be the QB situation, as it appears the Overstreet kid (a rising Soph) is being penciled in as the starter there and then if the OL can gain some real maturity and strength to dominate in the trenches.......(something they haven't had the last couple of years).

Defensively if Manatee can get much better play from its linebackers, I believe the defense has the makings of being very good!

My concern over-all is the general health of the program.....Maybe the new transfer rule allows that to become a non issue, because ultimately I just don't see Booth getting the kind of results after 3 years that would tell me this program is strong in its freshman and Soph teams.

Go Canes Go!

Defensively on the DL you have 2 kids that saw significant minutes last year Justin Lattimore at DE as soph was 6'2" 195 and soph Carter Sysak DE/DL was 6'3" 230. There was a report of a kid "soph" that is transferring into Manatee from SE high school that played DL at 6'3" 265. There were several other kids that are coming up from the JV.......I kind of like Jack Peebles 6'0" 200 maybe at the other DE position......but who knows for sure Brandon Dossey played LB as a soph was 6'0 190 and I'm really hoping they keep Josh Booker at a LB position he is 6'0" 220. As a side note Booker and Dossey are wrestling in the state tournement this weekend.

Offensively Manatee returns Josh Muldon 6'3" 230, Jerimiah Barthalow 6'2" 240 were starters, Seth Stone 5'11"230.......Stone wasn't a starter last year but I anticipate he being a starter this year. and Colton Deiser 6'2" 235 another that didn't start but I anticipate starting. There may be others and Im not aware of.........some one else might be able to elaborate more on that. It wont be a big OL but not small by any means.......

Go Canes Go!

Manatee will struggle from this point forward. 5-5 will be a good year for them. Mark my words. I heard the Fordham kid is headed to southeast. He is not happy about splitting time with anyone

Manatee will still make the playoffs by finishing in the top 2 in their district. I just don't see them being a "deep playoff run" type of team anymore. They have to solely rely on transfers at this point.

I'm not convinced how good a job he did at Booker, Marlon Mack was kind of hard to mess up and they still went 3-8 and 7-4. Their scheme was unsound on D. Gaps unaccounted for, front side and back side didn't match up at times. Almost like the coverage was being called independent of the front. I'd be interested to see what the guys at Lakewood Ranch thought of him schematically. Now I get that if you don't have a solid staff it is hard to be sound across the board in only 2 years. I'd say he is kind of an unknown hire for what could be and has been one of the better programs in the state.

Marlon Mack was pretty much all Booker had those years.

Is Coach Jones going to retain all the former defensive staff members? What position will he coach?

I would imagine he will coach LBs as that was what the former DC coached. I have not heard about them getting rid of anyone else, the other guys plan on being there still.

Manatee is without a Defensive Line Coach to date my friends in Manatee County say. Is this true and who would they go after in or around the area? I dont think anyone in Sarasota County is interested in coming north to coach that position.

Manatee is without a Defensive Line Coach to date my friends in Manatee County say. Is this true and who would they go after in or around the area? I dont think anyone in Sarasota County is interested in coming north to coach that position.

Coaching at Manatee doesn't have the flare that it had when Kinnan was there. They should just try to get a good youth coach out of Manatee in hopes that he can bring young talent to the Canes.

Coaching at Manatee doesn't have the flare that it had when Kinnan was there. They should just try to get a good youth coach out of Manatee in hopes that he can bring young talent to the Canes.
One would like to think that this would be more of an appealing job to a guy at Bayshore or Booker or Palmetto or Sarasota etc! Better talent with more resources and maybe a chance to climb the ladder at an elite program

RIP from the SWIM CLUB is going SPIN his name with some PRESSURE for the vacancy...

No one else needs to apply...

Same d line coach that has been there for 3 years, they are looking to have tackles and ends split up. Which makes sense when you have the stable of D 1 talent they have at d line. St. Thomas has at least 4 d line coaches, oh wait they just have one.

One would like to think that this would be more of an appealing job to a guy at Bayshore or Booker or Palmetto or Sarasota etc! Better talent with more resources and maybe a chance to climb the ladder at an elite program

Apparently a lot of guys from down South applied for the job. (Dade & Broward)

That certainly would be interesting. I can't see them being successful at Manatee.

ADVERTISEMENT