ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 45 Coconut Creek 19 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Early in the game Manatee was connecting on passes, only to fumble after the catch. Coconut Creek could sling the ball some too, but more times than not would just miss on a number of passes to its wide open WR's. I got the feeling that Coconut Creek probably had its self a pretty good 7 on 7 team during the summer..............thing is, this was a real football game not 7 on 7.

Observations: Manatee dressed only 35 players, with a number of other young men dressed in game jerseys and street clothes? Its still a team that isn't being coached to play to its potential, this team has some pretty good talent. Wife was with me at this game and she made me sit on the Manatee side, was interesting for me to hear a number of Manatee folks question play calling and personnel groupings during the game.....primarily with the offense! Manatee still has some serious issues with its ability to defend the pass. Wife asked me midway through the 3rd QT, which player is Justin Porter? I told her his number and she remarked, boy his name sure gets mentioned an awful lot! Justin's doing a much better job at wrapping up, then he was at the beginning of the season. For myself have to say I was impressed with LB Hyman's speed for Manatee, he plays with a lot of passion! Tyson Phelps is Manatee's best healthy RB......but apparently Manatee plays RB's like youth league football, everyone must get X number of carries. I love it when Manatee utilizes the H-back for its run game, but cant understand the personnel choices when it does, particularly at the H-back position? Why is the OC still rolling out its left handed QB, to the right? I was interested in this game, because going into it I felt Coconut Creek was probably as good as Kathleen........Manatee was fortunate Coconut Creek missed on a number of passes to wide open WR's during the 1st half, but by the 2nd half with Manatee getting better pressure on the Coconut Creek QB, and practicing better containment when he left the pocket.......Coconut Creek didnt get the number of opportunities it had in the 1st half, in the 2nd half to try to connect on its passes. Nice crowd again for Manatee!

Go Canes Go!

The whole RPI formula the FHSAA will be using this year, makes it more difficult to do the calculations to determine probable outcomes for qualifying for the playoffs. While it isn't the same thing until the 1st official RPI report is Published by the FHSAA tomorrow (10/8/10 at 2:00 pm), I've been watching the Lazindex and Calpreps this season more closely to get a gauge where Manatee sits within its region......both have Manatee as about the 3rd - 4th best team within their region presently.................so yes if the playoffs where to start this weekend Manatee would qualify. However................the RPI factors in strength on schedule, so every loss suffered by a team Manatee plays during the regular season could negatively impact their over-all RPI score by season's end, just as any other loss Manatee suffers could negatively impact their RPI......so while its looks good presently, still alot of football to be played to get too carried away with any RPI scoring at this point.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT