ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 42 Steinbrenner 7 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Its really hard to get a feel for this Manatee team, because of all the unique circumstances surrounding this Manatee season. The game was really just a situation Manatee having the athletes and Steinbrenner not. Lots to be still over-come because this Manatee team still really looks raw......Its a team that has some decent size and skill........just hasn't come together yet. I was quick to jump the gun and blame it on coaching and maybe it still the case, but I'm prepared to let the next few weeks play out to see if its just a case of a extremely young team, and a HBC that really hasn't much time with his team....

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Fordham from the stats and video looked like he was taking over the game at QB.
Do you see him staying at QB for the season?
How did Booker run the ball last night?

Yeah he I believe he stays at the QB position. Booker continues to run trying to out run folks, he has to learn that he is a north/south RB which to me would play into what his strength is. Manatee has some nice skill players, just haven't had time for any type of cohesiveness to settle into the offense yet. The OL while not big in true Manatee tradition, has some decent size...6'3" 250, 6'2" 250, 5'11" 250, 6'2" 225, and the center 5'8" 230...but isn't working as a cohesive unit either....yet. Its an offense that I can see getting better.

Defensively.....the radio guys keep hyping the DB's as the strength of the defense. While that may be where they have the most experience, I'm not seeing them playing that way.......yet. I like the group they have for the front 7, but again they haven't in my opinion put it together just yet.

This is a Manatee team that has the potential to get better as the season progresses, if they continue to be able to practice and play games........like I said earlier I'll give coaching the benefit of doubt because of the unique circumstances surrounding this season.

Go Canes Go!

I figured Booker would have had a good year running the ball between the tackles at his size. If he does get outside his size will be a mismatch for DB.

Its early but what do you think of that Venice Manatee game in November?

If they played today it would be Venice. They are a very well coached team! Now athletically Manatee has the players to be able to compete with Venice. Don't like the fact of having to play a make up game against Newsome on Monday and then play Venice Friday. That was a big mistake last year when they played Palmetto on Monday and traveled to Venice Friday and were dead on their feet and got thumped. It will be interesting how this team grows as the season progresses.

I figured Booker would have had a good year running the ball between the tackles at his size. If he does get outside his size will be a mismatch for DB.

Its early but what do you think of that Venice Manatee game in November?
Easy answer: Venice hands down, but if Manatee can find a way to come together as a team.........I believe they could give Venice a good game.....but either way, unless something special happens with this Manatee team along the way, this should end up being "W" in the win column for Venice. Venice to me is the head of the class for Public schools in the Manatee/Sarasota county area for 2017.

Go Canes Go!

I cant remember the last time Venice has beaten Manatee in consecutive years. Two things that I think help Manatee the most in this game. One they are at home. Two it is the last regular season game. If anything a team will get better as the players get more time in.
Last years game had a few different wrinkles. It was early in the season and before Manatee had a chance to look up it was 14-0. Playing from behind that early hurt.

I cant remember the last time Venice has beaten Manatee in consecutive years. Two things that I think help Manatee the most in this game. One they are at home. Two it is the last regular season game. If anything a team will get better as the players get more time in.
Last years game had a few different wrinkles. It was early in the season and before Manatee had a chance to look up it was 14-0. Playing from behind that early hurt.
The last time that happen, Venice had another QB (T. Burton), that Manatee could never find an answer for.

Go Canes Go!

2008-09 ? Burton was for sure a equalizer of talent.

Is that Braden River game have a make up date?

I think Charlotte's would have beaten Manatee in 09 had they played for two in a row. Darn near beat them in '07 except for Carnes' perfect Hail Mary. Burton was a beast and an equlizer of talent, except for when he got beat by a team effort in '08 playoffs.

I think Charlotte's would have beaten Manatee in 09 had they played for two in a row. Darn near beat them in '07 except for Carnes' perfect Hail Mary. Burton was a beast and an equlizer of talent, except for when he got beat by a team effort in '08 playoffs.

Silver Venice played that same Dunbar team last night and I couldn't help to see that they brought maybe 35 players. Was it the same hen they played Charlotte earlier this year?

I still say the Knee Was Down!!!! haha

Silver Venice played that same Dunbar team last night and I couldn't help to see that they brought maybe 35 players. Was it the same hen they played Charlotte earlier this year?

I still say the Knee Was Down!!!! haha

Ha ha, I figured you would!!

I don't know - can't guage very much by us this season, we're young and mistake prone. But they had a pretty good team speed, Ft Myers paper had them going undefeated this season. You know some weired stuff happened after the hurricane, lots of water, people eveacuated - they had way more than 35 players when we played them. They were 35-35 yard line full.

Last edited:
For a couple of years Burton and Venice couldn't get to the second round of the playoffs to play Manatee again and Manatee advanced. St Pete beat Venice one year in the 1st round and Manatee blasted them the following week. Manatee went on to beat STA and then lose to Plant in the 2009 5A finals game 21-14.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I figured you would!!

I don't know - can't guage very much by us this season, we're young and mistake prone. But they had a pretty good team speed, Ft Myers paper had them going undefeated this season. You know some weired stuff happened after the hurricane, lots of water, people eveacuated - they had way more than 35 players when we played them. They were 35-35 yard line full.

I had a feeling this was going to be an odd game. Dunbar has yet to go back to school. Monday scheduled first day back. I thought with their numbers some players were missing. Overall very fast team. They made some really questionable coaching calls early that put them in a hole. Going for it on 4th down first possession fake punt on the 15 yard line was the worst. Venice took over and in 2 plays up by 7 points.

For a couple of years Burton and Venice couldn't get to the second round of the playoffs to play Manatee again and Manatee advanced. St Pete beat Venice one year in the 1st round and Manatee blasted them the following week. Manatee went on to beat STA and then lose to Plant in the 2009 5A finals game 21-14.

Its was like a second round curse for sure. Hopefully that curse was broken last year for good.

I had a feeling this was going to be an odd game. Dunbar has yet to go back to school. Monday scheduled first day back. I thought with their numbers some players were missing. Overall very fast team. They made some really questionable coaching calls early that put them in a hole. Going for it on 4th down first possession fake punt on the 15 yard line was the worst. Venice took over and in 2 plays up by 7 points.

I stand corrected, someone said they are short handed this year, most go both ways, not sure who they had on the sideline, maybe JV and 9th.

Still they supposedly have 6 D-1s on D.

I stand corrected, someone said they are short handed this year, most go both ways, not sure who they had on the sideline, maybe JV and 9th.

Still they supposedly have 6 D-1s on D.

I had heard that 1 kid a 2019 had 17 offers but who knows if that's true. They had players. I know for a fact their coaching staff made some questionable calls they wish they could take back. I thought it would have been a closer game. Venice was only missing 1 D lineman. Not sure about their team as they were gassed at half going both ways. Doesn't help Venice runs a hurry up offense.

Manatee will struggle against Venice and Riverview this year. They will make the playoffs as the runner-up and Riverview will win the district.

Manatee will struggle against Venice and Riverview this year. They will make the playoffs as the runner-up and Riverview will win the district.

Runner up does not guarantee playoff spots anymore. They better get those points when they can.
District winners are guaranteed a spot with seeding after that. They will be paired up with other teams seeded based off of points.

Manatee hitting their stride ? Seems I saw a lopsided last night.
Wouldn't say that at all, these last two Tampa teams simply didn't have the athletes. The later stages of the 1st half Manatee played with hardly any emotion and the new HBC was non too pleased with what he was seeing going into the locker room. He apparently lit into the team at half and then once Manatee started playing with some emotion in the second half it was all over. Manatee is still very much a work in progress, but I do see potential.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: peezy28
8A in Hillsborough is garbage. Manatee's not losing to Steinbrenner, Alonso, or Newsome. Our strong teams are in 7a and 6a.

Reactions: peezy28
181, you seem hell bent on disparaging 8A Hillsborough county teams! the question was "Is Manatee hitting their stride, based on lopsided scores the last 2 weeks?" The Manatee team that lost miserably to Palmetto, would not have beaten these last 2 Hillsborough County teams by lopsided scores, had they played like they did against Palmetto. So yes Manatee is playing better, certainly not in a manner that puts them on the same elite level of a Venice or Braden River for example but better without a doubt. Try reading the question and then answer without pushing your Hillsborough County 8A disparaging agenda, next time.

Go Canes go!

I'm a fan of the Canes. But beating scrub teams is nothing to get excited over. Let's see how they do against Braden River, etc., and then start evaluating their chances. I was shocked by their 35-7 loss to Palmetto. Is that an error on Maxpreps or did they really lose by 4 scores to the Tigers?

Has the Braden River game been rescheduled?

Palmetto did in fact win that game going away. They then a few weeks later lose to Riverview in an odd 11-10 score. Palmetto then let Sarasota hang round until scoring late to finish them off.

I'm a fan of the Canes. But beating scrub teams is nothing to get excited over. Let's see how they do against Braden River, etc., and then start evaluating their chances. I was shocked by their 35-7 loss to Palmetto. Is that an error on Maxpreps or did they really lose by 4 scores to the Tigers?
Who's getting excited???? I don't believe I've said anything to indicate that Manatee is back, nor have i tried to play up either of the last 2 wins.

Go Canes Go!

Honestly they haven't even missed the playoffs yet..... I know the bar is really high but they still find a way to win 7 games a year in down years. Sign of a good program. Manatee will be back.

Braden River and Venice have really shifted the talent in SW Florida, though. That can't be understated. Sarasota Riverview is also building a nice program over there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT