ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 34 Buchholz (Gainesville) 27 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Point of interest: Georgia also has a town named "Gainesville" in Hall county. Georgia's Gainesville High School is known as the "Red Elephants". They are undefeated and playing last year 7A semi-finalist Carrollton tonight....(who is also undefeated)

Last night at Manatee's JV game, at halftime a Bald Eagle decided to perch on a bank of stadium lights for several minutes. I lived on 11th Ave West just a block from Manatee and I dont recall ever seeing a Bald Eagle in Bradenton, you'd have to go out to Myakka to hopefully see one, so it was a odd sight for sure! I attempted to entertain a thought or two for a few seconds, of it potentially being a omen of some sort...........but eventually dismissed the thought.

Tonights game against Buchholz has Manatee a underdog by 8 according to the Lazindex forcast, and Calpreps 2024 has Manatee losing to Buchholz 34-19. I really Like Buchholz QB Trace Johnson, and have pushed him on the Gator message board I frequent. Most last year dismissed him because of his smaller size as a Soph. All he did last year was lead Buchholz to within a point of beating eventual state champ Lakeland in the semis. I watched him in a number of games last year and thought he excelled at operating at a high level of efficiency when under pressure. I've predicted the Gators will eventually offer Trace despite having Jesuit Will Griffin committed for 2026, it fact I believe he'll be a higher rated prospect than Griffin by the end of his senior year.

I believe tonights game will be dominated with defenses controlling alot of the game, but I believe Buchholz will do a better job at keeping Manatee's offense off the scoreboard, than Manatee will keeping Buchholz off the scoreboard. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Manatee's QB, being forced to the sidelines due to injury tonight. I see a 38 - 7 final score, in favor of Buchholz

You missed this one again!! You need to stop picking game scores lol!! Great comeback win for the Canes! Manatee beat a very talented Buchholtz team on the road.

I waited to predict a score for the game, in part because I felt a outcome where Manatee's defense would force a low scoring game that Manatee could pull out a win was also possible. As it turns out even that scenario wouldnt have been accurate for this contest. I never invisioned a game where Manatee would have two TD's via the rush of over 30 yards, or a slant play to the TE, where the Manatee TE would basically outrun, the entire Buchholz secondary for a 70-60 TD catch and run play. Or a INT returned for a TD by Manatee. Thats 28 points scored on big plays......( I believe I liked the long catch and run play by the Manatee TE the best!) Troy West is the closest TE from Manatee, that I can recall, that comes the closest to over-all talent this young man possess. Who can forget Troy's Nest Tea plunge into the endzone against Apopka in the 1994 playoffs?

Bottom line with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd QT, Manatee was down 20-7, from there Manatee would score 27 unanswered points (21 points coming off a big plays), maybe just a little bit of Manatee Magic was in play here? Key play of the game to me was the end of the first half goal line stand, where Manatee forced Buchholz to settle for a field goal, instead of getting the TD going into half. Buchholz staff will be asking themselves today, how'd they let this one slip away? Manatee will instead see a earned victory, where the odds going into the season and/or this week was far from certain

You were pretty quite about the game and its outcome last week William, would always like to hear your thoughts about the Hurricanes win or lose! Go Canes Go!

* Gainesville, GA Red Elephants lost to Carrollton 45-16 tonight......(not a good night for schools name "Gainesville" across the board Friday night!)

Last edited:
Same here! We might not agreed over the years but we both are fans and I like hearing your thoughts and insight on the games also!
Big win for the Canes. I have to say this about the this group. They are coming together and fight to the end. I saw a group of kids really fighting for each other last night. And I think Coach Green is growing as a coach and will continue too. We got spoiled back in the days of Coach Kinnan. And everyone who has come after him has had big shoes to fill. Another test this coming week against a good IMG White team (4-0). Go Canes!!

One thing I noticed from a critique standpoint last night. Although Dangler is a incredibly strong kid, he still isn't all that big...yet. The staff would be wise to get on him about learning the art of wrapping up and ankle tackling, instead of always trying to obliterate someone. It would do wonders for wear and tear on his body. Couple of times I watched him get up after making a tackle, where I wondered if he felt it was worth bringing someone down the way he did, by the way he was rubbing his shoulder or arm etc....... afterwards?

Last edited:
Dangler has an unbelievable motor. He knocked the shit out of a couple guys and didn't rap up. He looked over at the coaches and said my bad, he knows he needs to do a better job of that. When he does he is a text book tackler. He is a junior and a very strong for his size. He is 6'0 195, but plays much bigger. Last night #43 LB Caleb Matelau didn't play (ribs) so Dangler had to step up his game little bit.
Buchholz offensive line is probably the best line they will see this year during the regular season! So it was a great test for Manatee's defensively. You mentioned their QB, boy is he good. But we can't say enough about Andrew Heidel, he continues to show that he is one of, if not the best QB in our area. Next week will be another test. I love the fact that coach Green has gone out and put together a very tough schedule. It will pay off in the end.........

Mark Cannon:
Didn't catch it live, but I saw your comment! Looks like Josh saw it like I did with my summation:
"Buchholz staff will be asking themselves today, how'd they let this one slip away? Manatee will instead see a earned victory, where the odds going into the season and/or this week was far from certain."

Reactions: MarkECannon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT