ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 15 Lowndes 30 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003

Great art work by whoever deveolped the above, but as a side note.....(The Lowndes area and southern part of the state is more noted for it peanut and cotton farms then its peaches......Peaches would be alittle bit further north in Georgia, and harvesting of peaches happens in July)

Neither team has seen good competition during the regular season, so this game will provide insight for both coaches, who both feel at this point of the season they have pretty good teams......but just arent real sure how good at this point?
Manatee's defense has a real nice front 7, as Manatee has added some pretty good pieces to it LB play via the transfer during the off-season. Manatee's DC has thus far decided to use his LB's through 2 games, to bring big time pressure from all over. Last time I saw Manatee employ this type of scheme/ and or defensive play, Manatee radio personality Chad Choate was Manatee's DC. Chad as I recall never had the level of talent with its front 7 as Manatee has this season however. I do feel the current Manatee DC has perhaps leaned a bit too much into this style of defensive pressure, will he continue to do this against Lowndes......Friday will be the reveal I guess? On offense, Manatee's young offensive line will be facing a senior dominated defensive unit. From a over-all skill player and over-all speed, this will be the best group pf players the Lowndes defense has faced thus far............Wondering to myself if coach Green schemes to help the youth of the Manatee offensive line, to allow Manatee to take advantage of its skilled players? Quick shout out for the play of Manatee's TE. The last few years, Manatee has had TE that were adept at catching the ball, but when it came to blocking not so much. This year's TE seems to be just as adept at cathing the ball with a added demension of above average speed, but my goodness what an improvement through 2 games I've seen from a blocking standpoint with this young man too! Its early yet but he could end up being some college's big time under the radar find by season's end! Lots of raw talent and room to grow size at 6'4" 215lbs.

If the Manatee coaching staff is up to the task, of putting its players in a good position to win.....this is the game, but as of right now Im going to give Lowndes the advantage from a coaching standpoint. Its a away game and this is the basically the same 4-6 Lowndes team last year, that beat semi-finalist 11-3 Fort Myers. Dunbar 31-7 in a mid season game. I going to take Lowndes over Manatee 38-17.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
Sounds like some optimism is creeping in there Gatorman. It is good to hear that coming from you. It might be time soon to see your Hurricanes play again.

We have a bye, some of the old staff are going down to watch Verot and Venice. We have a little connection to Verot through our previous AD. And they gave us their opening Gate and let us play there after Hurricane Charley.

SK, Venice @ Verot should be high scoring affair. Big time talent all over the field. I’m interested to see how Verot QB Carter Smith does against the Indians defense that has been a little porous this year.

BTW, Gatorman, I also love the illustration in the X post above. Would like to know did that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
SK, Venice @ Verot should be high scoring affair. Big time talent all over the field. I’m interested to see how Verot QB Carter Smith does against the Indians defense that has been a little porous this year.

BTW, Gatorman, I also love the illustration in the X post above. Would like to know did that.
Anyone see the Venice MNW game on film? How was that?

Shootout, thanks, my favorite was that one hopped long-snap that the holder just nonchalantly fielded, set-up for the long FG. Man Venice looks good on O.

Got a Venice Story. This occurred the week after we beat Manatee in Bradenton (Brion Carnes and Ace Sanders) for the first time since 1949. It was my youngest son's Sr Year, with Alex Mut (USF) and Mike Bellamy (Clemson for a drink of coffee). Venice has Trey Burton and Dri Archer, two NFL bound athletes.

My son is a Slot / TE and had Mono, so they're nursing him all week because they need him to play. On Friday morning, an attractive Doctor at the local clinic (Also happened to have been a Tarpon cheerleader in the 1960s) checks him out and clears him to play My wife wants to be really sure, so makes me ask our friend, also a Tarpon Cheerleader from my years who has a PhD in Nursing, to palpitate him to see if his spleen was enlarged - she agreed it wasn't. I learned during mono they worry about it bursting with contact . Our trainer saw it happen in wrestling.

Venice kicks off, stopped us and scored first. My son was an upback on the receiving team and a hands guy. Bink didn't want to chance him getting hit like the week before when he fielded a late onside kick from Manatee. Trust me, if he had an enlarged spleen then, that hit would have discovered it. So anyway Venice scores he's not on the field and damn if they don't pooch kick it to this kid who was in for him, who quite frankly didn't know what to do. They recover and the route was on.

Now I always wondered if one of their coaches upstairs noticed that on the initial kick-off or if it were coincidence. But man did it work. They beat the dog snot out of us, won the district.

Then we get them in the second round. Now Archer was hurt, but Trey and his guys still had a two possession lead late in the 4th. My youngest caught a huge 3rd down pass from Kyle Midgett (some Venice photographer took a great shot of him going up between three Venice defenders) and Bellamy scored on a 12- yard trap a few plays later to get us within shooting distance. We make a stop and they have to punt. Troy McClary dips to field it (they forever claim his knee was down -wasn't) and returns it 85 yards for the lead with 2 minutes left in the game. Trey was a heck of an athlete, but generally only threw to the middle of the field, we held that two minutes and shocked the heck out of them. Historic year for Charlotte beating both Venice and Manatee.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Shootout, thanks, my favorite was that one hopped long-snap that the holder just nonchalantly fielded, set-up for the long FG. Man Venice looks good on O.

Got a Venice Story. This occurred the week after we beat Manatee in Bradenton (Brion Carnes and Ace Sanders) for the first time since 1949. It was my youngest son's Sr Year, with Alex Mut (USF) and Mike Bellamy (Clemson for a drink of coffee). Venice has Trey Burton and Dri Archer, two NFL bound athletes.

My son is a Slot / TE and had Mono, so they're nursing him all week because they need him to play. On Friday morning, an attractive Doctor at the local clinic (Also happened to have been a Tarpon cheerleader in the 1960s) checks him out and clears him to play My wife wants to be really sure, so makes me ask our friend, also a Tarpon Cheerleader from my years who has a PhD in Nursing, to palpitate him to see if his spleen was enlarged - she agreed it wasn't. I learned during mono they worry about it bursting with contact . Our trainer saw it happen in wrestling.

Venice kicks off, stopped us and scored first. My son was an upback on the receiving team and a hands guy. Bink didn't want to chance him getting hit like the week before when he fielded a late onside kick from Manatee. Trust me, if he had an enlarged spleen then, that hit would have discovered it. So anyway Venice scores he's not on the field and damn if they don't pooch kick it to this kid who was in for him, who quite frankly didn't know what to do. They recover and the route was on.

Now I always wondered if one of their coaches upstairs noticed that on the initial kick-off or if it were coincidence. But man did it work. They beat the dog snot out of us, won the district.

Then we get them in the second round. Now Archer was hurt, but Trey and his guys still had a two possession lead late in the 4th. My youngest caught a huge 3rd down pass from Kyle Midgett (some Venice photographer took a great shot of him going up between three Venice defenders) and Bellamy scored on a 12- yard trap a few plays later to get us within shooting distance. We make a stop and they have to punt. Troy McClary dips to field it (they forever claim his knee was down -wasn't) and returns it 85 yards for the lead with 2 minutes left in the game. Trey was a heck of an athlete, but generally only threw to the middle of the field, we held that two minutes and shocked the heck out of them. Historic year for Charlotte beating both Venice and Manatee.
I remember the Manatee/Charlotte games during that time frame. I recall specifically then Manatee Broadcaster (Dave Bristow, Gene Brown, and Eddie Mullock talking about Kinnan pushing the theme of the Manatee defense being the fastest defense he had ever had. It may have been right about the time Bellamy had come onto the scene, and hadnt really established himself as a premier running back. Because there a number of plays Bellamy found some open space, and basically left the Manatee DB's in his dust. Now Im listening to all this via the streaming radio broadcast, but as a group they were just dumb founded that a player from Charlotte was continually making Manatee defensive player look like they were running in slow motion. This was a game Charlotte beat Manatee, just not sure if its the same year you're speaking of or just a game during the Bellamy era?

Burton was a Hurricane killer every year he played for Venice, the odd thing to that was come playoff time on successive years Venice would lose to Cape Coarl and St Pete High (I think those were the teams) in the 1st round of the playoffs and Manatee would play to the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. Losing to Cape Coral on a controversial goalline play and handily beating that ST Pete team the following week.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Manatee's had a full game of penalities the 1st half, and probably controlled the ball most of the 1st half. They moved it a number of times into Lowndes side of the field only to have penalties end the drives. Lowndes offense has consisted of 2 long runs (80 and 56), both for TD's......and that's about it. Manatee had scored to make it 7-7, with about 1:19 left in the half. A Lowndes run with a face mask penalty moved it close to mid field, and Lowndes scores the very next play to make it 14-7 going into half.

Manatee got the ball to open up the 2nd half, on its first offensive play there was a bad exchange of a jet sweep and Lowndes recovers. 3 plays later Lowndes scores to make it 21-7

High snap over the QB's head after a block in the back penalty on a Manatee Punt return for a saftey, and the Manatee offense continues to undermine Manatee on the scoreboard. Lowndes 23-7

Statement drive by Lowndes, as they go 60 plus yards all on the ground to go up on Manatee 30-7

With 1:11 left in the game, Manatee passes it way down the field to score a TD. With a successful 2 point play afterwards its Manatee 15- 30.

I said 38-17, the final score was actually 30-15. Lowndes had a couple of long runs where they were able to find the corner in the 1st half to take a 14-7 lead. The 2nd half Manatee offense provided Lowndes with a easy 9 points off of a saftey and a turnover, from there Manatee and Lowndes traded TD's, for the final score of 30-15. Manatee had way too many penalties, I want to say they had 10+ penalties. And the Manatee offense turned in a very bad 3rd QT.

Was at the game. Very proud of how hard this team fault. They popped Lowndes in the mouth as hard as they have been popped up to this point!!. Questionable penalties but you’re going to get that on the road! Overall, the team played really well. Lowndes is gonna win a lot of football games in Georgia. This will go a long way toward preparing this team for postseason. Not disappointed at all! Manatee was in this game most of the night except for a 9 point swing that really hurt them. Back to work next week in preparation for a Gainesville Buchholz in Gainesville.

I remember the Manatee/Charlotte games during that time frame. I recall specifically then Manatee Broadcaster (Dave Bristow, Gene Brown, and Eddie Mullock talking about Kinnan pushing the theme of the Manatee defense being the fastest defense he had ever had. It may have been right about the time Bellamy had come onto the scene, and hadnt really established himself as a premier running back. Because there a number of plays Bellamy found some open space, and basically left the Manatee DB's in his dust. Now Im listening to all this via the streaming radio broadcast, but as a group they were just dumb founded that a player from Charlotte was continually making Manatee defensive player look like they were running in slow motion. This was a game Charlotte beat Manatee, just not sure if its the same year you're speaking of or just a game during the Bellamy era?

Burton was a Hurricane killer every year he played for Venice, the odd thing to that was come playoff time on successive years Venice would lose to Cape Coarl and St Pete High (I think those were the teams) in the 1st round of the playoffs and Manatee would play to the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. Losing to Cape Coral on a controversial goalline play and handily beating that ST Pete team the following week.
No, that was the season before Bellamy just started playing RB that was the first game in the new Post Charley Stadium. Bryon hit that Hail Mary and Manatee Kicked the FG for the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT