ADVERTISEMENT

Knights vs Auburn

Sir Galahad, resorting to name calling, tsk tsk.

Yes I'll give you that the better team won TODAY, but TODAY is the day we were talking about but in the context of one team not being very motivated because they were in the hunt till the last game, then had to play in a lessor game. It's not surprising though, for years you've changed the narrative in a wink of an eye when you're backed into a corner.

And I don't consider you dumb, after all, could a dumb person come up with our "predictable" code?

I also said before the game if auburn doesn't care about this game that's their fault and should be thrashed for it

None of this, they didn't care

They lost bc ucf beat them and was better team, period.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
I can’t describe what I’m feeling today. I think back to Saturday Night Herd and a crowd of 500 in the old Tangerine Bowl cheering on the D3 Knights with our cowbells against the likes of Emory & Henry and West Georgia. Then a few years later when the program went $1M in debt under Lou Saban, a group of us offered our services to help any way we could. Ended up joining the stat crew as a volunteer along with some others fanatics. I even had my own column in the old newsletter. It was the hundreds of volunteers, alumni and fund raisers that kept the program alive. Spent twenty years in the press box watching the progaram grow all the way up to D1. Today is indeed a great day. A dream realized. But it’s also sad because the efforts by so many volunteers to save UCF football may never be remembered. Maybe it shouldn’t be.
I guess that’s what growth is all about.

Let him have his moment in the sun. Great year for them. I don't think tbey can sustain, but few can.

Yes I'll give you that the better team won TODAY, but TODAY is the day we were talking about but in the context of one team not being very motivated because they were in the hunt till the last game, then had to play in a lessor game. It's not surprising though, for years you've changed the narrative in a wink of an eye when you're backed into a corner.

And I don't consider you dumb, after all, could a dumb person come up with our "predictable" code?

60 Minutes even did a story on how the program rose to D-1 several years. It was very informative. Most people don't know what a school goes through to run a football program. Thanks for the additional info, LAZL!

I'm hoping for a #2 ranking. They deserve it! Great game and great season!

60 Minutes even did a story on how the program rose to D-1 several years. It was very informative. Most people don't know what a school goes through to run a football program. Thanks for the additional info, LAZL!

I'm hoping for a #2 ranking. They deserve it! Great game and great season!

won't happen. But top 5 should.

Is it name calling if it's true?

If either team had a right to be upset for not being i the Espn national championship it was UCF, not Auburn. As for changing the narrative, what will be your next excuse now that UCF is the proven the true National Champions?

Is it name calling if it's true?

If either team had a right to be upset for not being i the Espn national championship it was UCF, not Auburn. As for changing the narrative, what will be your next excuse now that UCF is the proven the true National Champions?

They aren't going to be the National Champions. Great year, no doubt. Should they have had a shot? Not under our current system. All 4 playoff teams played much harder schedules just by virtue of their conference affiliation. Oklahoma beat Ohio State; Clemson beat Auburn in the regular season; Georgia beat ND; Bama didn't really have a tough test out of conference but plays in the SEC West with LSU, Auburn, A&M, etc.

If it's up to me, we would go back to 11-game schedules (eliminate the BS sisters of the poor game that all D1 teams play) and have an 8-team playoff. Under that scenario, there is no way to keep a team like UCF out of the Final 8. Then it's decided on the field.

They aren't going to be the National Champions. Great year, no doubt. Should they have had a shot? Not under our current system. All 4 playoff teams played much harder schedules just by virtue of their conference affiliation. Oklahoma beat Ohio State; Clemson beat Auburn in the regular season; Georgia beat ND; Bama didn't really have a tough test out of conference but plays in the SEC West with LSU, Auburn, A&M, etc.

If it's up to me, we would go back to 11-game schedules (eliminate the BS sisters of the poor game that all D1 teams play) and have an 8-team playoff. Under that scenario, there is no way to keep a team like UCF out of the Final 8. Then it's decided on the field.

Miss State is MUCH harder than Memphis and usf?

Miss State is MUCH harder than Memphis and usf?

LSU, A&M, Auburn, MSU, Ole Miss, Tennesee, etc. You get the picture. It's the weekly grind of the big boy conferences.

As stated above, the out of conference opponents were better as well (except maybe for Bama).

Do you really think UCF beats that stifling Alabama team from last night? What about UGA or OKL? I really doubt it, but it would have been fun to find out on the field. That's why we need an 8 team playoff. The only team that looked bad was Clemson, and their defense handles most FBS teams with ease. Turnovers killed them (and Bama's stifling defense).

Reactions: peezy28
LSU, A&M, Auburn, MSU, Ole Miss, Tennesee, etc. You get the picture. It's the weekly grind of the big boy conferences.

As stated above, the out of conference opponents were better as well (except maybe for Bama).

Do you really think UCF beats that stifling Alabama team from last night? What about UGA or OKL? I really doubt it, but it would have been fun to find out on the field. That's why we need an 8 team playoff. The only team that looked bad was Clemson, and their defense handles most FBS teams with ease. Turnovers killed them (and Bama's stifling defense).

Maybe not but i am arguing that ucf schedule isn't that far behind bama

Let's compare best win

LSU or Miss State vs usf or Memphis

I don't think the gap there is very large

Also ole miss and Tennessee aren't good

Miss state lost to ole Miss

LSU lost to Troy

Texas a&m isn't that impressive

I'll give you auburn being good but bama lost that one, the one elite team bama played in regular season beat them

Remember when Auburn got snubbed in 2004 with a 13-0 record in the old BCS system because they ended up with that #3 rank? Utah and Boise State were also unbeaten. But USC (who vacated the title) and Oklahoma were also undefeated.

This is a fun debate, UCF had a hell of a season and if the system was as fair as college basketball's they should have been considered, even if they have a cluless fan or two.

Remember when Auburn got snubbed in 2004 with a 13-0 record in the old BCS system because they ended up with that #3 rank? Utah and Boise State were also unbeaten. But USC (who vacated the title) and Oklahoma were also undefeated.

This is a fun debate, UCF had a hell of a season and if the system was as fair as college basketball's they should have been considered, even if they have a cluless fan or two.

5 unbeaten teams

That would have been interesting in the playoff format

Maybe not but i am arguing that ucf schedule isn't that far behind bama

Let's compare best win

LSU or Miss State vs usf or Memphis

I don't think the gap there is very large

Also ole miss and Tennessee aren't good

Miss state lost to ole Miss

LSU lost to Troy

Texas a&m isn't that impressive

I'll give you auburn being good but bama lost that one, the one elite team bama played in regular season beat them

You can do all the comparisons you want. If you think the committee didn't do them, then you need to step back off the ledge and come back to reality. Unless a team goes through the grind of a major conference schedule, they are playing from behind no matter what when being compared to a power from a major conference.

The team you clearly have issue with is Alabama, which is the team that would probably beat UCF the worst out of the bunch due to their defense.

Congrats to the Knights on a great year. What they should hope is that this vaults them into the conversation for the Big 12. The Big 12 should take Florida teams to open up the market.

You can do all the comparisons you want. If you think the committee didn't do them, then you need to step back off the ledge and come back to reality. Unless a team goes through the grind of a major conference schedule, they are playing from behind no matter what when being compared to a power from a major conference.

The team you clearly have issue with is Alabama, which is the team that would probably beat UCF the worst out of the bunch due to their defense.

Congrats to the Knights on a great year. What they should hope is that this vaults them into the conversation for the Big 12. The Big 12 should take Florida teams to open up the market.

Bama might be strongest but of the 4 their wins are by far the weakest ones

And honestly ucf seems more fit for acc but idk if Miami and fsu want another FL team

Who did Alabama beat?

And I would say you are absolutely wrong. Alabama is clearly not as good as Auburn. Kerryon Johnson ranked ahead of any Bama RB in every RB category, Jarrett Stidham ranked above Bama's QB in every passing category and while Alabama's defense ranked #1 statistically and Auburn ranked #14, that is due to the fact that Auburn's SOS was #3 and Alabama's SOS was #43. Even with that #43 ranked SOS, Alabama could do no better then a total offense ranking of 27, Auburn was 26th by the way with a much tougher schedule. You have your opinions but FACTS prove different, Auburn beat Bama and it was not even close. That vaunted Bama defense have up 237 yards passing to Stidham, 104 rushing yards to Kerryon Johnson and a total of 408 yards of offense. Just a note to those ACTUAL statistics, UCF gave up 13 more total yards to Auburn than that amazing defense of Bama.

Reactions: Floridaslayer
Games are won and lost on the field not on paper. Tired of the paper champions lets play an 8 team playoff system and see who can compete and who can't. Was told Auburn would dominate in the trenches against UCF and that did not happen. Was told Auburn because they are in the SEC has much more speed then UCF and I did not see it. We know UCF had a lot more heart and if QB Milton did not have a bad first half we would of run Auburn out of the building. Yeah respect is earned and I think we earned it. SEC teams like Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy, Ole Miss and even UF this year did not impress me one bit and I know UCF could of beaten each and every one of those teams.

gatorman-uf, Choctaw Fan, DPHS and SK all said Auburn would not likely be overly excited for their consolation bowl appearance after bowing out the last game of the season. All were right

Pardon the Interruption confirmed that these astute FL VA posters know their stuff when they asked the rhetorical question if UCF should have been considered above Bama. The guys said "nothing against UCF, but No." And they referred to exactly what we all did a week ago, even citing some of Gatorman-uf's examples. Of course they did it in hindsight, we all called it a week ago.

Someone actually suggested the SEC doesn't play very good offense in this thread.

Yet Baker Mayfield couldn't win a shoot-out with an SEC Team, and Dabo Sweeny's team didn't have as much offense against Bama than Miami had against them in the ACC Title game.

Sorry guys but they need to change UCF to UDF the University of delusional fans. Again you guys had an awesome year and congratulations. But you're not going to beat any of the teams in the playoff.

Last edited:
Especially in a playoff setting. Not the consolation Bowl setting where Auburn didn't want to be there. But that's on them. FSU went through that with Houston a couple years ago and got the shit beat out of them.

I just returned from Atlanta. What a game and what a season!!

I believe the Dream Team of coaches just left for Nebraska, but hopefully Heupel can keep them on track.

The issue is not whether UCF is National Champion. They are not. The issue is the absurdity of having a team finish undefeated against decent competition and not have a chance to compete for the National Championship.

Clearly, a system that allows this is broken.

They should call this system what it is

Power 5 championship

It's clearly not a national championship bc only power 5 teams are considered for playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: 181pl
I got no problem with UCF claiming a National title, particularly since this may be their one chance to do so from a safe distance, because of the process of the current system.

But you also have to think about this; Saban eluded to it today when he pointed out both Georgia and Alabama had to travel back home, have a short preparation then leave for another location.

He said its time for people to start thinking a little more about what's best for the players rather than what's best for TV and the Bowl games.

As unfair as it is, a team like UCF playing any of this years Top 4 wouldn't be in the interest of TV or Bowl markets - its why the rich get richer...

gatorman-uf, Choctaw Fan, DPHS and SK all said Auburn would not likely be overly excited for their consolation bowl appearance after bowing out the last game of the season. All were right

Pardon the Interruption confirmed that these astute FL VA posters know their stuff when they asked the rhetorical question if UCF should have been considered above Bama. The guys said "nothing against UCF, but No." And they referred to exactly what we all did a week ago, even citing some of Gatorman-uf's examples. Of course they did it in hindsight, we all called it a week ago.

Someone actually suggested the SEC doesn't play very good offense in this thread.

Yet Baker Mayfield couldn't win a shoot-out with an SEC Team, and Dabo Sweeny's team didn't have as much offense against Bama than Miami had against them in the ACC Title game.
UCF should have been the team upset with the Peach Bowl not Auburn. UCF would beat Auburn 9 out of 10 times.

I got no problem with UCF claiming a National title, particularly since this may be their one chance to do so from a safe distance, because of the process of the current system.

But you also have to think about this; Saban eluded to it today when he pointed out both Georgia and Alabama had to travel back home, have a short preparation then leave for another location.

He said its time for people to start thinking a little more about what's best for the players rather than what's best for TV and the Bowl games.

As unfair as it is, a team like UCF playing any of this years Top 4 wouldn't be in the interest of TV or Bowl markets - its why the rich get richer...
Funny because the UCF/Auburn Peach bowl was the highest rated Peach abowl ever, 30% higher than last year and the highest rated bowl outside of the two playoffs. Exactly as I said it would be.

I wish I never started this thead.

Fact1)
The FBS system is not fair. Every other sport determines their championships on the field.
Fact 2)
The selection committee did a great job determining and selecting who the Top 4 teams over the course of the year.
Fact 3)
The UCF Knights had their greatest year ever. 13-0 including a victory over the only team to beat the two finalists.
Fact 4)
The AAC conference is #6 ranked. They are significantly behind #5 and significantly ahead of #7. However, outside of UCF, Memphis, USF and possibly a couple others, the remaining conference teams play at a level comparable to decent FCS schools. The Missouri Valley Conference (FCS) as a whole, is even better than the rest of the AAC teams.
Fact 5)
Under the current format its virtually impossible for UCF to be a participant in the playoffs, even if they played the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.
No need to argue, complain, whine, etc., the current system sucks but it’s the best it’s ever been and it will get better. Just hope I live long enough to see it.

Fact1)
The FBS system is not fair. Every other sport determines their championships on the field.
Fact 2)
The selection committee did a great job determining and selecting who the Top 4 teams were over the course of the year.
Fact 3)
The UCF Knights had their greatest year ever. 13-0 including a victory over the only team to beat the two finalists.
Fact 4)
The AAC conference is #6 ranked. They are significantly behind #5 and significantly ahead of #7. However, outside of UCF, Memphis, USF and possibly a couple others, the remaining conference teams play at a level comparable to decent FCS schools. The Missouri Valley Conference (FCS) as a whole, is even better than the rest of the AAC teams.
Fact 5)
Under the current format its virtually impossible for UCF to be a participant in the playoffs, even if they played the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.
No need to argue, complain, whine, etc., the current system sucks but it’s the best it’s ever been and it will get better. Just hope I live long enough to see it.

Fact1)
Fact 2)
The selection committee did a great job determining and selecting who the Top 4 teams over the course of the year.
Fact 3)
Fact 4)
Fact 5)
Fact 2 - not a fact, your opinion
Fact 4 - not exactly true, based upon sagarin ratings, there is less of a gap between the AAC west and the SEC east then the SEF east and PAC 12 south. You say the AAC has three good teams, while I will add Houston to the mix you seem to not speak about the other conferences.
ACC has 5 teams ranked below 50
Big 10 has 6 teams ranked below 50
Big 12 has 3 ranked below 50
PAC 12 has 6 ranked below 50
SEC has 7 ranked below 50

Just let it go. Nothing you can say or do can change a thing. You’re using one ranking system out of 116 in the Massey consensus. Now you’re pushing my buttons? Sagarin is 49th closest to the consensus. I am 3rd. But kudos to Jeff. I guess if I had a PHD from MIT, I might have my rankings in some other publication.
Either way, the consensus of 116 systems shows the AAC is the 6th best Conference with a “mean” ranking of 66.82 which is 18.1 positions behind the #5 conference and 17.1 positions ahead of #7.
Regardless, of how we all think or feel and post on social media, the AAC Champion is mathematically “ineligible” to sniff the National Championship, let alone play for it.
Let it go.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT