ADVERTISEMENT

Knights vs Auburn

LAZL

Feb 5, 2003
This is quite possibly the worst draw possible for UCF.
I believe Auburn will be at least an 8 or 9 point favorite and I’ll be shocked if the Knights can keep it anywhere near that close, let alone win. There is just no comparison when it comes to defense. The Knights have not played a team all season that ranks in the top 50 in defense. In fact, nine of their 13 wins came against defenses that are not even ranked in the top 100. Auburn’s defense is ranked #7.
As much as I want the Knights to win this game, I just can’t see it. I keep thinking back to Western Michigan last year. Undefeated during the regular season, the Broncos came into New Years Day 13-0 (better record than UCF) to play a 3 loss Wisconsin team and got beat. There is just a huge difference in defense when you face the top squads of the SEC, ACC and Big 10. I would like their chances a whole lot better if they were playing someone out of the PAC 12 or Big 12.

I believe Auburn will be at least an 8 or 9 point favorite and I’ll be shocked if the Knights can keep it anywhere near that close, let alone win. There is just no comparison when it comes to defense. The Knights have not played a team all season that ranks in the top 50 in defense. In fact, nine of their 13 wins came against defenses that are not even ranked in the top 100. Auburn’s defense is ranked #7.
As much as I want the Knights to win this game, I just can’t see it. I keep thinking back to Western Michigan last year. Undefeated during the regular season, the Broncos came into New Years Day 13-0 (better record than UCF) to play a 3 loss Wisconsin team and got beat. There is just a huge difference in defense when you face the top squads of the SEC, ACC and Big 10. I would like their chances a whole lot better if they were playing someone out of the PAC 12 or Big 12.
UCF's only chance is to outscore them. They would need an offensive repeat of the Memphis game. This is a difficult proposition for the reasons you state above. But hey, it probably just proves their final ranking was correct.

I would give UCF a decent chance in this game. We have seen it numerous times when a team falls short of playing in the playoff and they play some other school that they aren't really that hyped to be playing.

Bama-Utah - 2009
UF-Louisville 2012
UCF-Baylor 2013
Boise State-Arizona 2014
FSU-Houston 2015

I could see Auburn having to go back to the stadium that they just lost in and having to play "UCF" a non-power 5 school and them being a little disappointed and really trying.

Reactions: Floridaslayer
I like the matchup in the sense that we see how good the UCF offense really is at scoring. We know their defense is bad, particularly against the pass. With Frost gone hopefully they're not a one hit wonder......To gatorman, I'd also add that big East Carolina win, with RB Cris Johnson, several years ago in a bowl game as a little team shocker

Reactions: DarterBlue2
I hope you guys are right. And would sure like to see this UCF squad added to Gatorman’s list.
The line opened up with Auburn a 9.5 favorite and has now moved to 10.
95% have selected Auburn to cover.

I like the matchup, if they beat an SEC team that beat Bama.. Sir Galahad will be calling for UCF to the the SEC.

The bowl doesn't mean much to Auburn now that they lost their chance reaching the playoffs. UCF just might sneak up and beat them. All they have to do is score more. That seems to be what they do best!

Reactions: peezy28
Maybe but Could it be that Auburns's defense is tamed so high because the SEC has horrible offenses in it?

Reactions: Floridaslayer
I would give UCF a decent chance in this game. We have seen it numerous times when a team falls short of playing in the playoff and they play some other school that they aren't really that hyped to be playing.

Bama-Utah - 2009
UF-Louisville 2012
UCF-Baylor 2013
Boise State-Arizona 2014
FSU-Houston 2015

I could see Auburn having to go back to the stadium that they just lost in and having to play "UCF" a non-power 5 school and them being a little disappointed and really trying.
Let me now provide some facts for you. Baylor was never in the national championships talk. So arrogant was Art Briles about UCF, he said that Baylor would put 80 on UCF.

How did that work out for them?

Let me now provide some facts for you. Baylor was never in the national championships talk. So arrogant was Art Briles about UCF, he said that Baylor would put 80 on UCF.

How did that work out for them?

I remember him saying that

Auburn 60 UCF 17
Poor little bools fan! You can dream I guess. Maybe I should send Mike Hughes to your house for a Christmas present.

Have fun at an EMPTY Legion Field hahahah. I will be taking in the ambiance in Atlanta at the Mercedes-Benz stadium!

And LAZL, you are right about the Defenses UCF has played, but keep in mind that we did lead the nation in scoring. It will certainly be a tall task, but if we can pull it off it will be much bigger than the Baylor win at the Fiesta Bowl.

Last edited:
Poor little bools fan! You can dream I guess. Maybe I should send Mike Hughes to your house for a Christmas present.

Have fun at an EMPTY Legion Field hahahah. I will be taking in the ambiance in Atlanta at the Mercedes-Benz stadium!

And LAZL, you are right about the Defenses UCF has played, but keep in mind that we did lead the nation in scoring. It will certainly be a tall task, but if we can pull it off it will be much bigger than the Baylor win at the Fiesta Bowl.

Good luck to the Baby Knights. Remember this:
2005 USF 31 UCF 14

2006 USF 24 UCF 17

2007 USF 64 UCF 12

2008 USF 31 UCF 24

2013 UCF 23 USF 20

2014 UCF 16 USF 0

2015 USF 44 UCF 3

2016 USF 48 UCF 31

2017 UCF 49 USF 42

And also remember... UCF will always be irrelevant.

Reactions: Uma_Dog
Good luck to the Baby Knights. Remember this:
2005 USF 31 UCF 14

2006 USF 24 UCF 17

2007 USF 64 UCF 12

2008 USF 31 UCF 24

2013 UCF 23 USF 20

2014 UCF 16 USF 0

2015 USF 44 UCF 3

2016 USF 48 UCF 31

2017 UCF 49 USF 42

And also remember... UCF will always be irrelevant.

How about you make me one comparing the two’s conference championship or NY6 bowl game seasons? That 5 year gap when y’all conviently decided to stop playing would be slanted the black and gold direction too.

SK, that would be even bigger than the Fiesta Bowl win. To beat a team that beat two #1’s and also finish undefeated would really open the discussions for expanding the playoff field. Playoff expansion is necessary for the Non-Power 5. It would reduce the urgency for programs like Boise St, USF, UCF and many many others to find a home in a Power 5 Conference. I just think it’s important and fair that the other 1/2 of BCS schools (now outsiders) has at least the “opportunity” to win a national championship.

Reactions: Uma_Dog
"SK don't often pick upsets, but when SK do, they a dilly!"

This then is the perfect opportunity for UCF to kick in the door to the playoff party. I think them and USF should go somewhere as a package deal.

And, oh by the way. War Eagle may have beaten two #1s, but they also had a tough time with Mercer and lost to LSU what lost to Troy. That's what SK lookin' at rather than all those numbers you crunch. Easy to get up for #1, particularly making a run with all that momentum for a playoff spot. But, lets see how they get up for a distant consolation bowl and one of the "outsiders."

Merry Christmas Laz!

It's going to be ugly boys. Sorry. And USF has a win over Auburn. Lest ye forget.

Correct. UCF is going to get smoked. And Auburn doesn't need USF's help to whoop up on the niyyyts.

It's going to be ugly boys. Sorry. And USF has a win over Auburn. Lest ye forget.
And UCF has wins over Alabama and Georgia, but like your typical bools comments, that is irrelevant.

And how could anybody other than someone who has a brain like a bool say UCF is irrelevant? Ridiculous...

Is this you??

Auburn no motivation, UCF in an upset 28-14
I have grown so tired of this kind of thinking. No motivation is an excuse teams use after they lose. Not sure if you ever played the game but if you're not motivated to play in a sold out NFL stadium on national TV then chances are you are not the motivated type.

Auburn is motivated, they are playing the only undeadted Div 1 team in the country. They are the flag bearer for the P5 and the selection committee. If UCF wins, the system is proven to be a scam. If auburn wins it proves the committee right about UCF. Auburn is motivated and I will say outside of the playoff games, the Peach Bowl will be the most watched game in the country.

I feel sorry for you. What has USF accomplished in their entire football history? UCF can point to Div 2 playoffs, 1AA playoffs, multiple conference championships and a BCS bowl win.

I will be cheering for USF today, I'm smart enough to know that UCF's future is tied to USF. The better both teams do, the brighter both futures are.

Yeah I played a little. And yeah over the last 40 years, I've seen teams in the hunt for a NC and missing it late, not excatly show up for a distant consolation prize - its what your program is used to. This will be one of the biggest games ever for UCF program, bit it isn't anywhere on the radar screen, probably not in the top 500 for Auburn's program.

If you've never seen it happen, it tells me if you played or not. Either way I hope UCF wins.

Reactions: peezy28 and LAZL
Yeah I played a little. And yeah over the last 40 years, I've seen teams in the hunt for a NC and missing it late, not excatly show up for a distant consolation prize - its what your program is used to. This will be one of the biggest games ever for UCF program, bit it isn't anywhere on the radar screen, probably not in the top 500 for Auburn's program.

If you've never seen it happen, it tells me if you played or not. Either way I hope UCF wins.
Wrong again, as a 25 year season ticket holder for UCF I would hardly rate this UCF's most important game. Just for starters I would say each of their conference championship games were bigger, the USF game this year was bigger, the Fiesta Bowl was bigger, the 1993 Div 2 playoffs were bigger and so on. UCF is playing for respect against Aubirn, nothing else is on the line.

Last edited:
BTW, USF has wins over Bama and FSU. Nice win today over Texas Tech for the Bulls.

Sir Gallahad, a huge winning record over you losers. That's what the Bulls have. Enjoy your ass whoopin and your irrelevant UCF Knights.

BTW, USF has wins over Bama and FSU. Nice win today over Texas Tech for the Bulls.
You don't even know your own school's history. USF has never beaten Bama, UCF has. USF beat Auburn, let me know when USF wins a real trophy.

Last edited:
Wrong again, as a 25 year season ticket holder for UCF I would hardly rate this UCF's most important game. Just for starters I would say each of their conference championship games were bigger, the USF game this year was bigger, the Fiesta Bowl was bigger, the 1993 Div 2 playoffs were bigger and so on. UCF is playing for respect against Aubirn, nothing else is on the line.

well it might not be the most important game for you but for most it would be. I guess you like crappy conference title wins in Conference USA and the American conference over Tulsa, SMU and Memphis. Maybe it's a 44-7 loss to Georgia Southern in the D1AA semifinals that was the most important game or that blowout in the D2 semifinals back in 1987. This is UCF's biggest game ever. If UCF wins this game they will finish with their highest ranking and first undefeated season. When they lose your right it won't be that important.

Speaking of UCF history, I have a little info and worked over 100 games over 20 years in the press box. I’m sorry Sir Galahad (nothing personal) but here some corrections to make on your post about the 1993 playoffs.

1) In 1993 UCF was Division 1AA (now FCS), not D2.

2) The Knights lost in the first round in 1993 to Youngstown St.

3) UCF made the transition from D2 to 1AA following the 1988 season and was ineligible for post season play in 1989.

4) The year you were thinking about was 1991 when UCF lost in the 3rd round of the 1AA playoffs at Ga. Southern 44-8. I was in Statesboro for that game.

5) For the record, UCF did make the D2 playoffs in 1987 and lost in the quarterfinals to Troy St. I was at that game as well.

The Knights have played in some big games, especially in the Duante Culpepper years and faced some really good teams including several SEC teams. But they always came up just a bit short, losing many by just a point or two. It was frustrating. I could list all of them but it still bothers the hell out of me. There were a lot of heartbreakers.
All in all I have to admit, the most important game and win UCF ever had by far was in the Fiesta Bowl against Baylor.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
Not that it matters but it was

1990 they lost to Georgia Southern 44-7 third round also semifinals

It was the semi's vs Troy State in 1987 second round I guess only 8 teams made it then.

If UCF beats Auburn it will be their biggest win in history. As of now it is the Fiesta bowl for most fans.

DPHS,

You are correct on all three accounts. I guess my mind was playing tricks on the years.....trying to base the year on which woman I was dating during that time. I’m married now so I should do better going forward.
The more I think about it UCF does indeed have a chance.
If the consensus #80 team (App St) can beat the consensus #30 (Toledo) team 34-0. Anything is possible.

I remember when UCF was named Florida Tech. They soon were renamed UCF and the original "Battle of I-4" was against my Bethune-Cookman Wildcats. They played the 'Cats 16 times and came away with 11 wins.....I still like the UCF/Auburn match up. It's a legitimate measuring stick to where the program stands relative to established big conference power teams. The game is on New Year's Day , in a brand spanking new, big city, billion dollar sports cathedral. No way does Auburn not take this game seriously. Some of us here played college ball. Auburn players want that undefeated UCF Knight's a$$ on national TV. The Georgia game is over, they have moved on. The better team WILL WIN......NO EXCUSES!

I think UCF has a great chance. Emotions play a lot into football. I see UCF trying to win one for Frost. I also don't think Auburn will have the same emotions. Either way I hope its a great game. If UCF wins it really doesn't matter about excuses. You won't be able to take away the win. I wish Frost would have stayed one more year and see what they could have done next year. Oh well I will enjoy the game either way.

Reactions: LAZL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT