ADVERTISEMENT

Is 51 carries in a game too many carrie for a high school running back?

Fla2014

Jun 18, 2014
Riverview runningback Ali Boyce had 51 carries for 229 yards against Vero Beach last week. It got mixed responses. Some people said he is a real workhorse and can handle the load. Other said that is too many carries for a high school runningback period.

On a regular basis yes. You will wear down the kid and it makes scouting your offense effectively too easy.

Riverview runningback Ali Boyce had 51 carries for 229 yards against Vero Beach last week. It got mixed responses. Some people said he is a real workhorse and can handle the load. Other said that is too many carries for a high school runningback period.

Brynn Harvey did the same thing 51 carries 250 yards vs Countryside some years back.. He was built for it though and it did not affect him.

I remember our 2013 team where our huge RB Holly (spelling) must have had 50+ carries against Dunbar in the playoffs… He carried many Dunbar players also during that game but whenever the 4rth qrt began he must have carried 40 times in that one qrt… Understand He was 6’1" 240lbs… He did great but I felt because of all those carries He was worn down even 7 days later whenever we played AHP… You could tell He wasn’t the same and it appeared he did not recoup long enough…

So it may effect him come the next game just depends if he can fully recoup……

Remember how many time Travis Henry carried the ball per game, with extra emphasis on the playoffs? Was the 1st thing I thought about when I realized last Friday night, the 51 carries was real. Not ideal on a regular basis, but its the playoffs........so I can swallow it.

Go Canes Go!

So how many offensive plays did Riverview run ? I'm guessing Brantley ran the ball a few times as well. How many passes were attempted?

They didnt throw many passes and the qb didnt have many runs. It was all zone read plays where the qb had could pull or give it and he gave it all night.

Interesting. I also saw Riverview has started to use Jamar Johnson at WR.

Not sure about the amount of carries being acceptable. Its like a pitcher, not that football has anything like a pitch count. When is the health of the player more important than how he says he feels? I'm sure kids at RB in the state have plenty of carries throughout the year. 51 seems high in one game.

I guess the next question is why Vero couldn't stop him ? If it was working don't change is the old motto.

Nu'Trelle always defer to Wavebb on such matters. When contackted bout this one, Wave said 51 was far too many, but 50 probbley woulda been okay. Nomsayin?

Nu'Trelle axed Wave one time if he thought a sprint dog at Bonita could run a 3/8's and Wave advised, "He could if you gives him enough time."

Reactions: Wavebb
I had a kid carry 42 times for 396 once. He wasn't even sore the next day. Guess it depends on the kid and their capabilities. I wouldn't try that with a little squirt, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT