ADVERTISEMENT

HWY 17 Bowl

Prep101

Oct 23, 2004
This annual meeting between the Bartow Yellow Jackets and the Miners of Fort Meade is building to be one electrifying night of high school football. The Yellow Jackets coached by Jake McCrae come into the game at 3-1 with their only loss coming at the hands of Kissimmee Osceola. Jake McCrae a familiar name to Miner fans(on the Fort Meade staff in the early 2000's) has not released many stats on his players but we do know QB T.J. Harvin and WR Jeremy Henderson are 2 players to keep an eye on Friday night. These 2 players seem to find a way to bring the Bartow faithful to their feet. Bartow has out scored their opponent 99 - 33.
Fort Meade 4-0 puts its #1 ranking in class 1A on the line as they play up in classification for bragging rights of South Polk County. The Miners who has out scored opponents 173-18 is coached by Jemalle Cornelius. The Miners are led by Senior RB Tyler King 59 carries for 878 yards and 16 TD's and WR Jaylan Outings. Another player to watch is RB Isham Alexander a North/South runner who brings a good change of pace from the shake and bake running of king. Bragging rights are on the line for these 2 communities as you can already feel the energy. Should be an outstanding night of football in Polk County.

Last edited:
Look like they named a game after one of our regulars - Hwy 17. Don't have no idea what he did to deserve this, just happy to see he were finally recognized. It's about damn time!

Look like they named a game after one of our regulars - Hwy 17. Don't have no idea what he did to deserve this, just happy to see he were finally recognized. It's about damn time!

If you only knew how many times he has driven that route!!!! You would have thought he was riding in the Tour Da France with all the peoples standing on the side of the road between Da Meade and Bartoe, waving their flags, tawsing rwice and gatoraide. But that ended with Wavebb having to make an emergency landing right smack on top of HWY 17's ride. Of course as of this day HWY17 always getting pulled over by the Five-O because he is now profiled as a GANGSTA with that low rider. HWY17 thanks Wavebb on a daily basis for his great fly in' skillz!!!!!!!!

HWY17 starts in Punta Gorda, in my day, the Tarps used to roam up 17 to play in Arcadia and Wauchula. Pretty good football played along 17.

SK I think PC just got too darn big for us folks up in Arcadia and Wauchula. Thinking about it most of the worlds population lives next to the saltwater. Maybe u guys know something we don't? As in population growth?

Since this game is named in my honor, or not, I feel that I should present the first ever "Homeland" red light trophy.

For those not familiar with the area, Homeland is a small community intersection located about half-way between Fort Meade and Bartow, at the base of a hill. At that intersection is a red light that has the shortest yellow I've ever seen. On my daily commute I cringe as I get near it as it quickly goes from green to red.

Hwy, I don't think that one is going to play in court...but it's good that you're working the kinks out ahead of time...

Since this game is named in my honor, or not, I feel that I should present the first ever "Homeland" red light trophy.

For those not familiar with the area, Homeland is a small community intersection located about half-way between Fort Meade and Bartow, at the base of a hill. At that intersection is a red light that has the shortest yellow I've ever seen. On my daily commute I cringe as I get near it as it quickly goes from green to red.

There has been a lot of deadly accidents at that light. You have to watch out more than ever whenever your coming south because those tractor trailers, that has a Wavebb stickers on the trailer, always runs the red light and will turn into your path, just like his jet flyin' skillz...

When Desoto and Charlotte played, the mid point was "Bar 17." A lot of guys, many years after their playing days were over, still got their Friday Night "Hitting" fix there, in some legendary brawls.

When Desoto and Charlotte played, the mid point was "Bar 17." A lot of guys, many years after their playing days were over, still got their Friday Night "Hitting" fix there, in some legendary brawls.

After the Hardee vs Fort Meade game, it was either Hills Midway (now gone) or El Cids (now called something else).

Roughest place Nu'Trelle ever been to is Duff's Tavern on N. High St. in Columbus, Ohio. Furse thing the bouncers done was check for weapons. If you didn't have one, they'd loan you one.

Roughest place Nu'Trelle ever been to is Duff's Tavern on N. High St. in Columbus, Ohio. Furse thing the bouncers done was check for weapons. If you didn't have one, they'd loan you one.

I saw Phac Nam at a Duff's Buffet once. THAT was ruff.

I saw Phac Nam at a Duff's Buffet once. THAT was ruff.
My mother in law made a manager at Duff's cry, then the manager threw her out for rudely complaining about the sprinkles on the Ice Cream machine. She took the bus home, because her husband and the rest of their crew were not leaving as long as the staff kept bringing out more fried dough in cinnamon sugar.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
After the Hardee vs Fort Meade game, it was either Hills Midway (now gone) or El Cids (now called something else).
U forgot the county line bar. Whenever Hardee was a dried county that was the place to go get the Irish Whiskey and a lot of the Miners use to go there to. People could have saved gas and found the right person who use to make moonshine in the county. I was in junior high whenever I had my first sips of that stuff. Let me tell you I was laid out over the three wheeler old Scotty Gilliard use to have.

Reactions: Silver King
My mother in law made a manager at Duff's cry, then the manager threw her out for rudely complaining about the sprinkles on the Ice Cream machine. She took the bus home, because her husband and the rest of their crew were not leaving as long as the staff kept bringing out more fried dough in cinnamon sugar.

"Mama, you gonna hafta walk! They still bringin' food!"

I am rolling!

Reactions: redfishron
U forgot the county line bar. Whenever Hardee was a dried county that was the place to go get the Irish Whiskey and a lot of the Miners use to go there to. People could have saved gas and found the right person who use to make moonshine in the county. I was in junior high whenever I had my first sips of that stuff. Let me tell you I was laid out over the three wheeler old Scotty Gilliard use to have.

The County Line Bar! LOL! Only place I know where Lord Calvert Whiskey is top shelf!

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
Hahaha old county line bar... Good times! I have to say I'm impressed with what the Bartow coach has done so far. Bartow must include the ib program and summerlin academy into their enrollment numbers. The trash talk got real heated for this game on Twitter a few nights ago. Think it will be a great game with the winner being the one that can handle the environment and keep the mistakes down. I give fort Meade the edge because they have the best player on the field in running back Tyler King.

Fort Meade's two new district foes, Crescent City and Pierson Taylor Co., are 2+ hours away but also on Hwy 17. Just some misc. bs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT