ADVERTISEMENT

How will Irma missed games effect playoff formula?

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
First of all everybody be safe and pray it keeps easing to the East and missies us.

SK has been in the Eye of six different hurricanes (one of those on a yacht as Hugo passed, another Bob on a 100 year old schooner), two others were Cat 4s, one took his house.

So if it comes west, SK figures it will be a 3-bottle Hurricane on the "Pearly Scale." Pearly was an old Punta Gorda black man who was very fond of SK's pops and explained to him hurricanes could be categorized by how many bottles of booze you needed to have on hand to get through them. Pearly, SK pop's told him, was spot on with Donna (2-bottle storm) in 1960. So SK figured Charley in '04 was prolly a handle 2-bottle storm, and was right. SK last night laid in a 3-bottle set for Irma (Jameson's and two Captain's), just in case. It helps you sleep, eases the soreness and gives you a little 'I don't give a damn' as you pick through your world that crumbled around you. It helped that old teammates from around the state kept showing up with beer, ice and more booze - so if it hits and you were spared, go help one of your old teammates who may have not been so lucky.

OK, some portions of the state will play games this week. Others, like SW Florida (Collier, Lee and Charlotte, which includes some Sarasota County teams like Venice) already cancelled. A lot on the East Coast won't play.

I haven't read the rules because I know you coaches are on top of it - some of you may even be math teachers.

Someone told me the points are based on the average games you play, is it? Explain some scenarios for us guys who don't read the instructions.

If a team scheduled 10 games and loses one non-district game due to weather, they will be fine. The rules that they only have to play 8 games to be playoff eligible and even then exceptions could be made by FHSAA Executive Director.

Now, the hard thing will be if the games this week were district games as those games have to be made up or at least that is my interpretation of the below statement.

"All District games for Class 5A – 8A must be finished from the point it was suspended."

I take this as district games will be finished, even if they haven't started at some point, but I am sure whatever policy is in place already for district games will continue to be.

Hardee is playing tonight!!! So we’ve wo t be affected. Just hope our stadium doesn’t get reamed like it did with Hurricane Charley.

1. All district games must be played (to completion); that is, no winner till the final tick of the game.
2. Win District and you are automatically in the playoffs as a 1-4 seed.
3. You can afford to scratch at least two non-district games from a 10 game schedule and still make the playoffs even if you don't win district as long as you amass a sufficient number of points.
4. Regarding 3, if you, say, scratch two games from a ten game schedule and don't win district, you could be affected if the two scratched turn out to be teams that would have earned you a large number of bonus points. To my understanding, the way it works is is that for each game scratched that is allowable, the denominator in the calculation is reduced by the game scratched. However, you could be affected, since the reduction in the numerator could be higher.

Bottom line is that the system will need to be revisited and tweaked at the end of this season. Given we start in August, each year there is a high probability that a number of games will be scratched for some teams which may affect their playoff chances, and even making some ineligible unless the FHSAA grants a waiver.

Thanks DB2, I think I understand it a little better. You know if it runs up the East Coast, there will be more than a few fields unplayable. After Charley we only got to play two on our home field - because the parents and boosters cleaned it up, had to borrow fields to play on.

This is the 2nd year in a row we had a game cancelled, can only remember one or two the last 15 years prior, even Hurricane Charley season we could have gotten in a full game but Lemon Bay wanted to avoid the wrath and said their field was too wet.

Last edited:
This really sucks. It's going to take me months to get results of make up games. It's hard enough to get all the regularly scheduled games. Sux. Anyway, my problem and I'll deal with it. Personally, I think we should move the football season in Fla. Oct-Jan. I may have time this weekend to go back over the years and see how many cancellations (great matchups too) we have In Sept.
I know the number is ridiculous. Start the season in Oct.

I know there were tons in 2004! Choctaw alone had three cancellations because other teams had damaged stadiums or no school due to damage. I was kind of glad. My son had no back up center after the death of Bowden Madden, Bobby Bowden's grandson, in a car accident during an earlier hurricane that didn't affect our area.

Reactions: Silver King
Kind of crazy as Riverview and Palmetto are playing at Riverview as we speak. It would have been great to renew that Charlotte-Venice game tonight. Bigger things are coming so 1 week wont kill us.

Yeah, I'm glad to get the long time Charlotte and Venice rivalry back to playing. Its good for both teams. But doubtful we would have gotten it in anyway, its been lightening to beat the band for three hours.

SK,

Some of your ex-teammates told me YOU were lightning back in the day!

Like I stated FHSAA needs to move the football schedule out about 3-4 weeks mainly since they implemented the point system. College doesn't finish until January and NFL finishes up in what late January. Most hurricanes are in August and early January then they begin to settle down. I say start football in October.

Do you allow kids to play in the Under Armour and Army All American games while you're still in the playoffs? Most coaches would not and the games would not be as important. We won't see the best players there since many come out of Florida.

Lazl, off the ball yes, regular rocket flames firing out my butt. It was a survival technique playing against bigger more talented guys.

Do you allow kids to play in the Under Armour and Army All American games while you're still in the playoffs? Most coaches would not and the games would not be as important. We won't see the best players there since many come out of Florida.
I don’t think these two games are even important whatsoever!!! When were these games started? They mean nothing and from what I’ve watched these games are only for ESPN to showboat college day signings!!!

A simpler solution is to limit the number of games to 8, still start the season when they do, but break the season into first half and second half. The first 4 games followed by an two off weeks (which can make up any of the previous 4 games) and the last 4 weeks followed by an off week (to make up on any of the previous games).

Only 8 games count for points and all district games count. That way missed games won't matter.

The bigger question is how many cancellations are there going to be this upcoming week. Some school districts are already canceling Tuesday with no student activities. So now, we are talking about playing a football game after a complete week off and two days of practice (Wednesday and Thursday) is that enough as we start heading into district play.

Who knows when they will go back to school. They can't start until the shelter is closed. What really irritated me was that the governor closed all state schools. We might not even have rain from this storm! Yes, there is a panhandle Governor!

Who knows when they will go back to school. They can't start until the shelter is closed. What really irritated me was that the governor closed all state schools. We might not even have rain from this storm! Yes, there is a panhandle Governor!
He was erring on the side of caution. I really can't blame him. It is possible, given the continued westward shift, that the Panhandle may still be impacted by this storm.

See Below:

The safety of the student-athletes, parents, coaches and school administrators impacted by Hurricane Irma remains our top concern. Due to the widespread and varying levels of impact from Hurricane Irma, the FHSAA has chosen not to uniformly cancel, postpone and/or prohibit play. The FHSAA plans to maintain the originally scheduled season dates in an effort to cause the least amount of impact on all other non-athletic activities. The decision to practice and/or play remains up to each individual school and/or school district. Provided facilities, roadways and conditions permit, each school is encouraged to resume play as soon as possible. In an effort to get teams conditioned appropriately and back on track with regularly scheduled games, practice will be permitted this Sunday (September 17th) only, with your school and/or school districts approval.

In the event games need to be rescheduled or postponed, schools are encouraged to work together to come up with a date that best suits all parties involved. If a game is rescheduled, please email all specific details to football@fhsaa.org as soon as a decision has been made.

With regard to the FHSAA’s points system for Football, as originally planned, total points will be determined by dividing points earned by games played. If a school falls below the eight (8) game (minimum) requirement, the Executive Director may waive the minimum game requirement on a case-by-case basis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT