ADVERTISEMENT

Hold onto your socks Gator fans

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
This can't be good, a long time Gator attorney (and alum) who threatening to flip because they got stingy paying the bill.

" LEADERSHIP & GOVERNANCE
A Warning, a Crusade, and a Public Reckoning at the U. of Florida
By Michael Vasquez JULY 21, 2017 PREMIUM

GAINESVILLE, FLA.
Huntley Johnson, the go-to criminal-defense lawyer for U. of Florida athletes in a town obsessed with college sports, has represented almost 30 Gator football players since 1984.
The warning came in December.

Huntley Johnson, a local attorney known for representing University of Florida athletes who get into trouble, wasn’t happy. His client, a star wide receiver, had been accused of sexual assault, and even though the athlete had been cleared by the university, Mr. Johnson criticized the process.

So he sent the university some demands. In a letter, he requested changes in how sexual-assault cases are handled, including how accused students are treated during an investigation. He also wanted the university to pay nearly $400,000 of the legal fees of the football player, Antonio Callaway.

If those conditions weren’t met, Mr. Johnson wrote, there would be consequences.

"It saddens us to think of the publicity that will be generated," he told the university, "and the incredible amount of money that will be lost in the pursuit of remedies that should be reached quietly, quickly between the parties."

A month later, when the university hadn’t complied, Mr. Johnson showed he was a man of his word. He essentially declared war against his own alma mater and launched a barrage of public-records requests. He has filed more than 75 such requests since January."

... read the rest here

http://www.chronicle.com/article/A-...TFlOW94VEc4c2NCTHQ0clBMX2R4OEo0d1FGYkU4NXNmSQ

As a fan I'm not surprised due to all of the issues larger colleges bring in to win games at all costs.
I will say when first reading this I ask myself, why now ? You want to reform the institution ? With the reform I will also take $400,000 or Ill take you down with the secrets I have.
If they pay the amount what will ben the number next year $1,000,000 ? When ever he will want money he will threaten to expose.
In any case I'm sure the skeletons are coming out of the closet.

You think Urban was involved with most of his cases?

This guy is defending and getting off possible felons and now he's going to tell on the university? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black!

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Lawyers, gotta love them. My dad used to always quote author Mario Puzo:

“One lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns ...”

The beauty of the profession is that lawyers (or ex lawyers) largely make the laws. That gives the profession a huge inside advantage when it comes to manipulating the system in which they work.

The beauty of the profession is that lawyers (or ex lawyers) largely make the laws. That gives the profession a huge inside advantage when it comes to manipulating the system in which they work.
.....A perfect example being the vague and confusing language contained in the bills, laws, and statutes they give legitimacy too. It takes a lawyer to understand this legalese.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
.....A perfect example being the vague and confusing language contained in the bills, laws, and statutes they give legitimacy too. It takes a lawyer to understand this legalese.

I would argue sometimes it is even beyond the comprehension of GOD! But that's great for lawyers since they can take either side and make money.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
ADVERTISEMENT