ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest high school games in history? (List them here!)

The 2007 Cocoa Astronaut game was also huge! Was for the district championship, and cocoa looked to end it backed up but with the ball with 3 minutes or so left. Time was kept on the field (to the joy of cocoa fans) and cocoa ran the clock down to around a minute, but was forced to punt. Astronaut proceeded to block the punt, and recover it in the end zone to go up 14-10, with under a minute left, cocoa completed a couple passes out to the 50 but ran out of time as Astronaut won (I believe) their most recent District Championship.

2009 #1 vs #2, STA vs Byrnes!!! Very seldom does a game like this live up to the hype but on that night both teams played lights out & its bad that either team had to lose, its really bad that it was my team that had to lose but will go down as one of the greatest high school games I have ever seen.

Originally posted by Byrnes.#1:

2009 #1 vs #2, STA vs Byrnes!!! Very seldom does a game like this live up to the hype but on that night both teams played lights out & its bad that either team had to lose, its really bad that it was my team that had to lose but will go down as one of the greatest high school games I have ever seen.
I remember that game, It was intense sit at the edge of the chair game.

I though both teams looked crazy good. Best game I think I've seen also.

coachjpw;

The 2007 Cocoa Astronaut game was also huge! Was for the district championship, and cocoa looked to end it backed up but with the ball with 3 minutes or so left. Time was kept on the field (to the joy of cocoa fans) and cocoa ran the clock down to around a minute, but was forced to punt. Astronaut proceeded to block the punt, and recover it in the end zone to go up 14-10, with under a minute left, cocoa completed a couple passes out to the 50 but ran out of time as Astronaut won (I believe) their most recent District Championship.

That was a great game and the one reason why I have so much respect for Astronaut. Cocoa if you remember went on to the regional final and lost to Naples the state champs.

Was a very good game...

One other game worth mentioning for me was Jefferson and Norland. Both teams played so well. Only saw about 2 mistakes the first half then Jefferson started pulling away after 8 or 9 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Was such precision from both sides.

Gaither v. Seminole. Gaither homecoming 1995. 0-0 score when Gaither calls a fake punt. Upback Dave Maldoff throws to Kevin Sparkman for the first down. Gaither scores on the next play and goes on to win 12-0. What a game.

the greatest game I remember seeing as a fan was last years regular season opener on the road in gainsville, we had lost our previous meeting when we went to citizens field back in 2012 17-14, that year gainsville went to the state finals and that was closest anyone came to beating them, this time we went down by like 4 or 5 points at haft, came back out and game was tight at the end, they were about to drive for a game winning field goal but defense got a sack then held on and put game into overtime, gainsville got ball first, and "caught" a touchdown which from my view he landed out of bounds, then Columbia got the ball and scored with our star runner, then we decided while down 42-43 we went for the win on a 2 point conversion and handed it off to our running back again and he powered to the outside and we take the game 44-43 in OT on the road to beat gainsville so it was a fun game to watch

1985 Manatee vs Lakeland. Manatee was ranked #3 in the nation in the USA super 25 and ended up 13-0 for the season. Lakeland won the game 19-17 but had to forfeit the game. Illegal players for lakeland (I think it was age of players but not sure). Woodham ended up winning state that year but played manatee the next year for the title. The score was 40 something to (?)(manatee won).

Reactions: jgking83
Being from Ft. Myers & attending high school from 90-93, I distinctly remember the 1992 game between #2 Ft. Myers "Green Wave" vs #3 Barron Collier "Cougars" You might as well say it was Jammi German vs Herschel Troutman. There was standing room only. This game had so much hype leading up to it that you could cut the intensity & anticipation in the air with a knife!

http://usatodayhss.com/2012/1992-green-wave-squad-may-be-lees-best-ever

My Brother played on this Manatee team, and I've said for years this was probably the toughest loss ever to swallow. I came up to Lakeland the following week for the game against Woodham HS and wasn't surprised at all at the outcome. Remember running into Tom Broome who was the best coach with the Manatee County youth leagues and he even commented that Lakeland had no answer for the over-all team speed of Woodham HS. Lots of things went on behind the scene that could have potentially lead to Manatee's poor showing in the game against Lakelend........But bottom line Big Big upset win for Lakeland, this Manatee team was stacked and to go uo Lakeland and lose they way they did, still even today bothers me.

PS Thanks for the video link

Go Canes Go!

2013 5A regional semifinal (2nd round), Clay beats Bishop Kenny 74-73 in regulation......No OT!!!!

Bishop Kenny QB John Wolford threw for 539yds and 8 TDs and rushed for 234yds and 2 TDs IN A LOSS!

Clay went on to lose to Plantation American Heritage in the state final. I didn't get to see it but listened on the radio. Absolutely incredible.

Being from Ft. Myers & attending high school from 90-93, I distinctly remember the 1992 game between #2 Ft. Myers "Green Wave" vs #3 Barron Collier "Cougars" You might as well say it was Jammi German vs Herschel Troutman. There was standing room only. This game had so much hype leading up to it that you could cut the intensity & anticipation in the air with a knife!

http://usatodayhss.com/2012/1992-green-wave-squad-may-be-lees-best-ever

Article says FtM beat Southeast in 1992 who beat a Tommie Frazier-led Manatee. I don't think that's correct because I think Frazier graduated in 1992 and started for the Huskers that year.

I really can't compare because I didn't see FtM or STA, but I did see Pasco in 1992 and they were a wrecking ball, led by the Hambrick brothers who both played in the League for a few years. Would be interested to see if either of those teams were better than the Pirates that year. Pasco County's only state football championship.

Double Overtime 6A Regional Title Game 2017: Charlotte Tarpons vs Ft Myers Green Wave at Sam Sirianni Field (Edison Stadium).

Two programs that started playing in 1926, whose head coaches played head up on each other at their respective schools and have a great deal of respect for each other. Ft Myers News Press called this the most important game ever in the series' history, a history that Ft Myers dominated for the first 60 years. Charlotte has been evening it out the last 30.

Ft Myers with Lee County's Best running back, scores twice in 8 minutes in the 1st quarter. Kind of a slug fest after that until Charlotte's D'Vonte Price catches a 53-yd TD pass to finally put the Tarpons on the board in the 3rd. Price had broken his collarbone at Ft Myers during the regular season game and didn't return until the playoffs six weeks later.

Then as the game is winding down, with the score 14-7, D'Vonte Price simply took it over and he only needed three touches.

The first a 9-yard TD run to tie the score 14-14, that sent it to Overtime.

1st OT: Tarpons get the ball first. First down from the 10, D'Vonte Price scores on the sweep. Ft Myers ties it. Teams switch ends of field and possessions.

2nd OT Tarpon D stuffs Ft Myers and they settle for the Field Goal. First down from the 10, D'Vonte Price lines up in the Wildcat on first down, takes the snap and with the entire FM Defense knowing he was;t giving the ball up, scores to cap the comeback - one of the best single efforts in a game I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT