ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest high school games in history? (List them here!)

Originally posted by sixrings:
were you there at the game when they played Immokalee....

Noooo...

But what does that have to do with Gulliver playing 5 nail biters in the playoffs?

Originally posted by Canes0177:

Originally posted by sixrings:
were you there at the game when they played Immokalee....

Noooo...

But what does that have to do with Gulliver playing 5 nail biters in the playoffs?

I was at that game...Sean Taylor ended our season with that infamous dive over the goalline in the 2nd overtime. That play broke my heart. That was an awesome game to be in attendance.

Lincoln at Palm Bay, 2000....

Neutral summed it up perfectly. And the absolute best game I have ever seen.

Lincoln up 14-7 late in the 4th, Palm Bay's defense on all fours sucking wind and Lincoln about to score the lethal TD to put the game on ice. Dickey throws over the middle and just behind Craphonso Thorpe. Thorpe reaches behind to get the ball and is hit. Ball comes loose and is ruled a fumble on a call that honestly could have gone either way, no complaints here. Palm Bay recovers and drives for tying TD to set up OT. I think Reggie blocks the PAT even if snap is good.

The blocked PAT shaped Lincoln's decision to go for 2 in the 2001 game against Pine Forest, where Lincoln lost focus and almost gave the game away. Dickey's completion to TE Justin Woody in the back corner of end zone on drag route was deliberately called by Wilson because of 2000 game against Palm Bay.

Those four years where Lincoln and Palm Bay played each other (1999 to 2002) were the real state championship games in 6A or 4A. The actual championship game was a formality. No one from the South region was going to beat either team in the state championship game, guaranteed (and that included Aquinas. Lincoln D in 2001 was so good that even Canes 0177 admits it took only three offensive plays to beat STA). The 44-21 loss to Palm Bay in 2002 was a see-saw battle all night, with 16 fumbles from both teams on a rainy, sloshy field. Every time Lincoln closed the gap, Palm Bay would come back. But the game was not decided until late in the 4th.

Guess that's why you're supposed to send scouts prior to playing the game!
wink.gif

Aquinas' staff should have picked up on Pine Forest's speed by seeing them play.

1986-87 live oak vs santa fe frankie stankunas catches hail mary with no time left from jay jernnigan.that was the start of the 4year run of championships for live oak in class 3a which started the following year.

Re: Lincoln at Palm Bay, 2000....

Originally posted by TrojanGuy:
Neutral summed it up perfectly. And the absolute best game I have ever seen.

Lincoln up 14-7 late in the 4th, Palm Bay's defense on all fours sucking wind and Lincoln about to score the lethal TD to put the game on ice. Dickey throws over the middle and just behind Craphonso Thorpe. Thorpe reaches behind to get the ball and is hit. Ball comes loose and is ruled a fumble on a call that honestly could have gone either way, no complaints here. Palm Bay recovers and drives for tying TD to set up OT. I think Reggie blocks the PAT even if snap is good.

The blocked PAT shaped Lincoln's decision to go for 2 in the 2001 game against Pine Forest, where Lincoln lost focus and almost gave the game away. Dickey's completion to TE Justin Woody in the back corner of end zone on drag route was deliberately called by Wilson because of 2000 game against Palm Bay.

Those four years where Lincoln and Palm Bay played each other (1999 to 2002) were the real state championship games in 6A or 4A. The actual championship game was a formality. No one from the South region was going to beat either team in the state championship game, guaranteed (and that included Aquinas. Lincoln D in 2001 was so good that even Canes 0177 admits it took only three offensive plays to beat STA). The 44-21 loss to Palm Bay in 2002 was a see-saw battle all night, with 16 fumbles from both teams on a rainy, sloshy field. Every time Lincoln closed the gap, Palm Bay would come back. But the game was not decided until late in the 4th.

First off 3 out 4 of those state games were within 1 score. The other was a 9 point spread.

So how in the world can you make such a statement? You don't think Southridge (lost 21-14), Dillard (lost 10-6), STA (lost 28-20) or Jefferson (lost 19-10) could have easily won those games?

I never said anything of the sort.

I said Lincoln basically had 3-4 big offensive plays and that was it. That was a very winnable game that didn't go our way.

We had 424 yards of offense in that game. Not to mention our QB broke the state championship record for completions and yards in a game.

What a defense.
This post was edited on 9/9 3:45 PM by Canes0177

Lincoln's D bent but never broke, my friend. It gave Aquinas all it wanted between the 20s, but after that hunkered down and triumphed. And 1999 was equally wonderful. I recall the Sportschannel commentator saying that Southridge's players said Lincoln's OL was big, fat and slow. So I was so happy to see "big, fat and slow" pancaking the Southridge defenders and reaching into the Southridge secondary time after time.

Take away Thorpe's accidentally tipping the ball into a Southridge WR's hands for a TD, and the score isn't even close. Even then, Lincoln made the plays when it had to.

And that is what they did against Aquinas as well.

Gotta tell you a funny story: When my boy took his visit to Alabama in 2003, Coach Mike Shula stopped in mid-sentence and said: "Wait a minute, you guys beat up on my nephew." Then he winked. And when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, the next timne I saw him with Coach Wilson, he jumped out of his chair to come over and ask how she was doing. God, I love that family. May they always be successful in everything they do.

Back to the four games: I don't think anyone was going to beat Lincoln or Palm Bay in the finals. They were just that good. It wouldn't have mattered if Lincoln faced them, or Palm Bay faced them. Those two teams were the best in Florida for four straight years.
This post was edited on 9/9 5:48 PM by TrojanGuy

Lincoln's D bent but never broke, my friend. It gave Aquinas all it wanted between the 20s, but after that hunkered down and triumphed. And 1999 was equally wonderful. I recall the Sportschannel commentator saying that Southridge's players said Lincoln's OL was big, fat and slow. So I was so happy to see "big, fat and slow" pancaking the Southridge defenders and reaching into the Southridge secondary time after time.

Take away Thorpe's accidentally tipping the ball into a Southridge WR's hands for a TD, and the score isn't even close. Even then, Lincoln made the plays when it had to.

And that is what they did against Aquinas as well.

Gotta tell you a funny story: When my boy took his visit to Alabama in 2003, Coach Mike Shula stopped in mid-sentence and said: "Wait a minute, you guys beat up on my nephew." Then he winked. And when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, the next timne I saw him with Coach Wilson, he jumped out of his chair to come over and ask how she was doing. God, I love that family. May they always be successful in everything they do.

Back to the four games: I don't think anyone was going to beat Lincoln or Palm Bay in the finals. They were just that good. It wouldn't have mattered if Lincoln faced them, or Palm Bay faced them. Those two teams were the best in Florida for four straight years.
This post was edited on 9/9 5:48 PM by TrojanGuy

Then say that. Don't say that the defense was so good that Lincoln only needed 3 plays to win.

Bend but don't break defenses aren't necessarily great by definition. They get the job done. Great defenses don't even bend.

I can't for the life of me understand how you can say nobody was going to beat those two teams when the largest margin of victory in any of their state games was 9 points.

That and none of those 4 teams went undefeated! In fact 3 of the 4 teams had two losses!

1999: Lincoln (13-2)
2000: Palm Bay (12-2)
2001: Lincoln (14-1)
2002: Palm Bay (13-2)

It's pretty silly to say they were the best teams too. Better than these teams?

1999: Lakeland (15-0)
2000: Venice (15-0)
2001: Apopka (14-1)
2002: Ely (14-1)

Those teams have just as much a case as those 2-loss Lincoln/Palm Bay teams.

I expect in about 10 years those teams will somehow be the greatest teams in the universe. It seems that as the years go by their reputations get inflated a little more.

Yes, with the possible exception of Lakeland in 1999. I saw the Naples championship game, and it was impressive. I also think that was one of those crazy games where Dwyer was just overmatched. Naples was not a slew of points better than Dwyer. It just worked out that way. There is no doubt in my mind that Lincoln and Palm Bay would have beaten Naples in 2000. Dwyer just lacked maturity and experience. Lincoln and Palm Bay lacked neither.

Class 6A hasn't been the same since Lincoln and Palm Bay left its ranks, excluding that fact that Northwestern brought the luster back to the classification recently. I can definitely say 6A South Florida teams have not been tested against North region teams in the same classification. In fact, it takes a Madison team that takes on all comers to show North Region 6A teams who is boss (Madison is boss, even against Lincoln). So I can speculate confidently that Apopka would have lost to either Lincoln or Palm Bay in 2001. I am not sure even Sexy Beast would dispute that, although I will allow him that opportunity.

Likewise, Ely in 2002 played a weak schedule. Ely beat Wharton (!) 22-10. One look at 5A that year and it shows that Lakeland and Naples were both down. Class 4A Lincoln and Palm Bay had equivalent team speed, better defenses and much more experienced coaching. And I would add that Aquinas would have beaten Ely in the tournament IMHO. I never bet (figuratively, I never ever bet on sports) against Aquinas. Too much respect for the staff.

Yes, with the possible exception of Lakeland in 1999. I saw the Naples championship game, and it was impressive. I also think that was one of those crazy games where Dwyer was just overmatched. Naples was not a slew of points better than Dwyer. It just worked out that way. There is no doubt in my mind that Lincoln and Palm Bay would have beaten Naples in 2000. Dwyer just lacked maturity and experience. Lincoln and Palm Bay lacked neither.

Class 6A hasn't been the same since Lincoln and Palm Bay left its ranks, excluding that fact that Northwestern brought the luster back to the classification recently. I can definitely say 6A South Florida teams have not been tested against North region teams in the same classification. In fact, it takes a Madison team that takes on all comers to show North Region 6A teams who is boss (Madison is boss, even against Lincoln). So I can speculate confidently that Apopka would have lost to either Lincoln or Palm Bay in 2001. I am not sure even Sexy Beast would dispute that, although I will allow him that opportunity.

Likewise, Ely in 2002 played a weak schedule. Ely beat Wharton (!) 22-10. One look at 5A that year and it shows that Lakeland and Naples were both down. Class 4A Lincoln and Palm Bay had equivalent team speed, better defenses and much more experienced coaching. And I would add that Aquinas would have beaten Ely in the tournament IMHO. I never bet (figuratively, I never ever bet on sports) against Aquinas. Too much respect for the staff.

I think when you say Naples you mean Venice.

Logically, though, the more games a team loses the less invincibility they can project.

It simply doesn't make sense to put those Lincoln/Palm Bay teams on a pedestal. Lakeland, Venice and Ely were all nationally ranked.

You may not think Venice was a slew of points better than Dwyer but I KNOW that Lincoln/Palm Bay weren't a slew of points better than any of their state opponents.

6A didn't need any luster to be restored. Carol City and Killian had great teams before Northwestern went on their run. Also, Carol City had a great run before anybody had even heard of Lincoln and Palm Bay.

It was only a "down" year for Naples because Ely beat them soundly in the state semifinals. Likewise for Lakeland. They were 11-1 before Wharton laid the smack down on them.

One look at 5A that year shows that Ely was the best team and that Naples and Lakeland weren't down by any means.

Ely played just as tough a schedule as any of those Lincoln/Palm Bay teams.

Wharton beat Lakeland and Mainland by a combined score of 57-10 in the regional finals and state semifinals.

I'm not sure what year you are referring to but Ely beat us in 2002.

Yep, thanks Canes, it was Venice. My bad. I'm not nearly as old as Oracle, but I am getting up there...

I recall Lincoln's run through 6A very well, especially 1999 and 2000. Like a hot knife through butter in the North. There is a certain toughness that both Lincoln and Palm Bay had those two years. I think the other posters on the board were thinking that too when so many of them agreed on the 2000 Lincoln-Palm Bay game as being their best game ever. I am certain that because of what you do and the area you cover, you have seen great games as well.

I do think that Aquinas would have beaten Ely in a rematch in 2002. You don't easily beat Aquinas twice, especially in the same year. In fact, you don't easily beat Aquinas at all! It takes one heck of an effort.

Personally, I would say that 2000 game was the best I have ever seen that I had a personal stake in, closely followed by that 2001 Lincoln-Pine Forest game. The best game I ever saw that I did not have a personal stake in was that unbelievable Aquinas-Lakeland championship game on television. Whew!

1992 Frostproof 21 Pahokee 20
1992 Frostproof 14 Newberry 13
1999 Frostproof 6 Jax Trinity 0

What's wrong with the greatest CHAMPIONSHIP game ever played...

Pine Forest vs. St. Thomas Aquinas 2000.

I played in the game, and have never seen nor been associated with a more exciting or high-stress game in my life.

A defensive struggle for most of the game with both teams coming up with one big defensive play after another. Pine Forest led 13-10 at the half with two touchdowns and a missed PAT. Then Pine Forest comes out and holds St. Thomas to only a field goal in the second half, which covers all the scoring, regulation ending with the score 13-13. The Pine Forest defense really stepped up to shut down one of the most prolific offenses of that year, as did St. Thomas, shutting down Blount/Fisher & Company entirely in the second half.

Meanwhile, 2 and a half overtimes later, Pine Forest scored in their half of 3OT making it 34-27. 2nd and 4 for STA, counter-tre to STA's right, stuffed in the hole, running back bounces outside, get's hit on the 1-foot-line, ball pops out, into the endzone, 15 players jump on it, but only one can recover it...

Pine Forest wins! And it was the first ever overtime game in state finals history. You just can't compete with that.

(My bad Nate)
This post was edited on 12/10 3:23 PM by EagleBlood13
This post was edited on 12/10 3:27 PM by EagleBlood13

Originally posted by AHS Fan:
Armwood vs. Booker T Washington II (2004)
Armwood vs. Booker T Washington III (2005)
Originally posted by AHS Fan:
Armwood vs. Booker T Washington II (2004)
Armwood vs. Booker T Washington III (2005)

Armwood 84, King 0

RETRACTION!!
NAPLES 91, ESTERO 0
This post was edited on 10/12 9:34 PM by 181pl

I was at that PF-STA game. It was "great" mostly because of the multiple OTs. But, having the teams start at the others 10 yard line really diminishes how great those OT games can be. Scoring when you start at first-and-goal is just too easy. That was a defensive game that ended up with a lot of points because of the all-too-short field in OT.

And the fact that PF sent STA its JV tape, had to be one of the worst moves in history. You just dont play the game that way. If you dont want to exhange tape then say that. Dont deliberately send the wrong tape so your team has a MAJOR advantage going into the game

Originally posted by canesfan3234:
And the fact that PF sent STA its JV tape, had to be one of the worst moves in history. You just dont play the game that way. If you dont want to exhange tape then say that. Dont deliberately send the wrong tape so your team has a MAJOR advantage going into the game

Just to be clear there's no proof of that. Just a feeling from seeing the film and then seeing them live.

Correction:

In the 2000 Pine Forest vs St Thomas Championship game, PF NEVER kicked a FG. Pine Forest led at halftime 13-10 by way of two TDs scored in the 2nd Qtr - the first was scored by running back #34 JOE SCOTT on a 2 yd run. The second was scored by wide receiver #7 MARCUS LEWIS in the corner of the end zone with ONE TOE inbound on a pass from #2 QB BRIAN FISHER. The PAT was missed. St Thomas kicked the only two FGs of the game (2nd qtr & 4th qtr). I can't remember the STA kicker, but I know he's the one who went on to star for Tennessee. PF missed what would have been a game winning FG in the last seconds of regulation time. Our FG kicker had only made ONE FG all season prior to and including the playoffs. The remaining scoring by both teams was done in triple ots, with the final being a 34-27 PF victory. It was the FIRST state championship game in Florida HS history to ever go into an overtime period.
This post was edited on 11/7 2:14 PM by pfeagle4

Originally posted by pfeagle4:
Correction:

In the 2000 Pine Forest vs St Thomas Championship game, PF NEVER kicked a FG. Pine Forest led at halftime 13-10 by way of two TDs scored in the 2nd Qtr - the first was scored by running back #34 JOE SCOTT on a 2 yd run. The second was scored by wide receiver #7 MARCUS LEWIS in the corner of the end zone with ONE TOE inbound on a pass from #2 QB BRIAN FISHER. The PAT was missed. St Thomas kicked the only two FGs of the game (2nd qtr & 4th qtr). I can't remember the STA kicker, but I know he's the one who went on to star for Tennessee. PF missed what would have been a game winning FG in the last seconds of regulation time. Our FG kicker had only made ONE FG all season prior to and including the playoffs. The remaining scoring by both teams was done in triple ots, with the final being a 34-27 PF victory. It was the FIRST state championship game in Florida HS history to ever go into an overtime period.
This post was edited on 11/7 2:14 PM by pfeagle4

The kick we are referring to was the PAT that Pine Forest kicked in the 2nd overtime.

It was after the DeMarcus Blount touchdown on 4th and goal.

It was wide right.

Canes is correct and you could tell by the refs faces after seeing the replay right after the kick that they knew they blew the call.

Well I guess that "Missed PAT" you're referring to kind of evened things out for that "Phantom TD" your running back scored in the 1st overtime! *grin*

The correction I was making wasn't to what you said, but to the Pine Forest person who claimed he played in the game and posted erroneous info. Our kicker (Pine Forest) never kicked any FGs in that game. STA kicker kicked the ONLY FGs in the game.

2007 St.Thomas Aquinas at Deerfield Beach the bucks won 41-40

2007 Miami Northwestern vs. Deerfield Beach at the OB 6A playoffs-Jacory Harris led them to the win on a historic drive,winning the game in the last few seconds!

The greatest game I ever saw in person was Lincoln at Valdosta in 2006. It was a really close game throughout with the lead going back and forth several times. Late in the 4th Quarter, Lincoln had the lead 17-14 but Valdosta scored with 2 minutes left to take the lead 21-17. The Trojans, led by B.J. Daniels then executed an 80+ yard drive in less that 1:30 to capture the lead 24-21. There was only about 20-30 seconds left, so we were all celebrated expecting the game to be over. However, Valdosta doesn't go away but instead gets to about Lincoln's 40 yard line in 2-3 plays and then sends out the field goal unite to attempt a 50+ yard field goal to tie the game. The ball is kicked perfectly down the middle, and we're all staring in horror, as it hits the bottom upright, flies straight up in the air, and then falls about 1 ft short. Looking at it later on replay, I figure the front nose of the ball hit the center support beam in the exact middle of the goal, had it been kicked a couple of inches left or right, it probably would has flipped in.

Maybe not the greatest ever, but worth mentioning. Palatka at Tallahassee Leon 1981. Second round of the play-offs, but most considered it the State Title game. Palatka won 34-25. John L. Williams, Darryl Oliver, and Jarvis Williams against Tony Robinson and the Holloman brothers. Back and forth until Palatka pulled away in the 4th quarter. John L. (who hardly ever played defense) crushed Robinson into (or under) Leon's bench. That play took the spirit out of Leon. Palatka's wishbone ran for over 400 yards. Leon was scary good, Palatka was better.

Was that really 27 years ago? Time flies.
This post was edited on 2/4 5:49 PM by Oak Ridge Nole

Re: Apopka at Palm Bay, 2001....

So I can speculate confidently that Apopka would have lost to either Lincoln or Palm Bay in 2001. I am not sure even Sexy Beast would dispute that,

Just to be clear, Apopka DID beat Palm Bay in 2001. Might have just been a KOC but trust me the starters played till the end for a great game and kickoff to Apopkas championship run.

As a fan being at the 2002 Charlotte-St.Thomas game in the playoffs was amazing. Obviously Charlotte is not the program that STA is and I believe it was STA first ever West Coast loss.

GLADES CENTRAL GAMES..

1 THE 1999 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP JERRY CAMPBELL HAIL MARY PASS WHILE BEING TACKLED FOUND ITS WAY TO WIDEOUT REGGIE VICKERS TO WIN THE GAME THE FANS WENT CRAZY!

2 THE 2005 MUCKBOWL FEATURINF STARS SUCH AS ANTONE SMITH..ROBERT LOVE...RANDY PHILLIPS THOMMIE DUHART AND ETC THAT GAME WAS PACKED AS ANY OTHER MUCK BOWL! ANTONE SMITH NEEDED 127 YARDS FOR A 2000 YARD SEASON GLADES DEFENSE WAS NUMBER 1 AGAINST THE RUN THAT YEAR....THE GAME WENT BACK AND FORTH ALOT OF HITTING PAHOKEE TOOK THE LEAD 21-17 IN THE 4TH QUATER AND THEN CAME GLADES WITH TWO MIN LEFT DROVE THE FIELD AND ON A 4TH AND 13 QB VINNIE PIERRE FOUND RANDY PHILLIPS ON A SCREEN PASS AND HE RACED DOWN THE SIDE LINES AND LATER PUNCHED IT IN FROM THE 1! IT WAS NOT OVER YET AS GLADES KICKED THE BALL TO ANTONE SMITH HE BROKE A TACKLE AND WAS HIT AT GLADES 35....ROBERT LOVE TAKES THE NEXT SNAP SCRAMBLES FOR 15 YARDS THE NEXT PLAY HE TAKES OFF AND COMES UP SHORT 3 YARDS SHY OF THE GOAL LINE THE RAIDER NATION LOVED THAT NIGHT!

THE 2008 MUD BOWL! GLADES VS DYWER VERY HARD HITTING GAME THAT HAD 17 FUMBLES AND WENT TO 4 OT'S! GLADES PULLED IT OUT WITH QB LERON THOMAS FINDING JAMES WEST IN THE END ZONE!

THE 2006 GLADES CENTRAL VS DILLARD GAME! GLADES JUMPS TO AN EARLY LEAD AND LETS DILLARD BACK IN IT AFTER HALF TIME WITH GLADES WINNING BY 7 DILLARD DROVE THE BALL IN THE 4TH GOT THE BALL 2 THE 1! GLADES DEFENSE STANDS FOR 4 DOWNS AND HAS A PASS INTERFERENCE CALLED AGAINST THEM THE NEXT PLAY DILLARD SCORES.......WITH IT ALL ON THE LINE DILLARD GOES FOR TWO TO TAKE THE LEAD! GLADES DEFENSE WHICH THAT YEAR WAS LEAD BY KENNETH FITZPATRICK RUSSEL LEWIS SAMUEL PUTMAN JONNIE DIXON RASHAD JACKSON JUST TO NAME A FEW MADE A BIG STUFF AND IT WAS ALL OVER ANOTHER GREAT GAME!

rgj04

I think you meant the 2004 Muck Bowl, the 2005 Muck Bowl was cancelled due to Hurricane weather/warnings & Antone Smith was a freshman at FSU in 2005.

Anyway since you seem to be up on the Muck Bowl I was trying to get the scores for the following yrs, do you know what they were?

1999-Glades Central won; Score-
2000-Glades Central won; Score-
2001-Glades Central won; Score-
2002-Pahokee won; Score-
This post was edited on 3/23 11:47 PM by OU112

well i remember the year pahokee won it was 35-17 they dominated that game all the way! they knocked out the qb's and they defense really did a thing to glades that year!

the 2001 glades won i believe the score being 28-7!
2000: it was a blowout glades scored 42 that year santonio holmes and a few others ran wild that night! and if i recall p.k only had 7! ui dont remember the rest!

1) State Championship 1994 Brad Se vs ocala Vanguard! I still have goose bumps
2) Venice vs Bayshore 1998, VHS with 45 sec on clock drives the field and scores with no time left!
3) Pasco vs Hernando 1991 a WAR in front of 10,000 fans. Look at the players in this game: Jesse Owens, Dwayne Mobley, Andrew Timmons vs D. Hambrick, T Hambrick, T Ross, P. Sessoms, M.Penix, D. Reed!

hey Zack that Lincoln Madison game in 2003 was a heck of a game also..cant remember the score but we call it the dove game..when the dove was flying around in the endzone

Didn't Emmitt Smith of Escambia play Craig Erickson of Cardinal Newman (WPB) back in 1986? Final Score: Escambia wins 26-21.

Game was played on Florida Field and had about 3000 people (considering the game was no where near either school, not a bad crowd).

Sure it was a bowl game, bu stil not that bad of a game.

It would be nice if schools played more bowl games showcasing major talent. Hard to do, but it would be neat

Smith vs Erickson

1958 Haines City vs Dade City 17-7 Hornets and 1957 Haines City vs Lake Wales 13-7 Hornets .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT