ADVERTISEMENT

Going to my first SSAA game Friday

MarkECannon

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2010
Will be attending Umatilla @ Mount Dora Christian tomorrow night. Umatilla left the FHSAA 2S from last year to enter the Sunshine State Athletic Association(formerly the SSAC). Mount Dora Christian is already a member winning the 2023 5A state title classification .

Frostproof joined Umatilla along with a couple of other schools that left the FHSAA to enter the SSAA this season. Former FHSAA state champs Glades Day and American Heritage Del Ray are members. Why are these schools leaving the FHSAA? Some express disappointment with the strong programs getting stronger so it was impossible to win a state title(see Chaminade Madonna) and were looking for a more level playing field. Another reason is they are looking for a more positive experience for their athletes.

One reason I’m taking this opportunity to go to this game is because I did not see a matchup in the FHSAA that got me excited enough to go to. Looking at the Google map quest the Mount Dora Christian’s stadium looks better than many FHSAA schools.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that there were a few public schools that were actually rebelling against the FHSAA, was part of the reason I did the break down on the Laz "Power Ratings" and wondered if it was time to perhaps start using some 3-5 year power rating average, in combination with enrollment to develop a new method for establishing classifications. The power rating would have to carry the bulk of a developed weighted average for this.......but enrollment alone just isnt fair to the majority of these schools...(regardless the classification). Chaminade is the perfect example or situation in that it could easily compete with every 7A, 6A, or 5A school as well as compete for a state title in those classifications. Will be interested to hear back from youafter the game!

Reactions: MarkECannon
Am I back yet or still Black Listed in Facebook fashion for something I may have written (as a registered Independent) that wasn't to their particular political bent? I keep getting the "message waiting for Mod approval" because I changed emails a couple years ago from my original. By the way my first was a classic post --in 2002 about the Tarpons being the first West Coast team to take down mighty St Thomas Aquinas when the board was swarmed with condescending STA fans.

Silver, I had wondered why you hadn't posted, I figured perhaps you had decided to just scale things back a bit.......but I guess that wasn't it at all? I'm not sure who or where you'd need to go to resolve a issue like that, if peezy couldn't fix it......I'm assuming you tried that?

The whole registering as a "independent" creates a number of interesting issues on the political front......particularly with political pollsters. I only follow one "Richard Baris" of Big Data Poll which is a publicly funded public opinion poll as well as Robert Barnes a lawyer out of Nevada but is licensed to practice in law in a number of states with a specialty in tax law, civil rights, and constitutional law. Barnes also dabbles in sports picks as well as poltical races......Barnes was part of the legal team that was to repersent Trumps challenge to the Georgia election results, but pulled baack when Sidney Powell and Giulanni decided to go down the Dominion voting machine rabbit hole........(has said that was the only thing that saved him from not being indicted by Fanni Willis in Fulton County)......

Getting back to where everyone is going this week, I'll be going up to Venice to watch Venice and Northwestern go at tonight

Last edited:
Just got back from Mount Dora Christian Academy. They defeated Umatilla 17-7. It was a beautiful setting with a clean and pristine venue. It was mostly a defensive battle. The game winning touchdown occurred when instead of attempting about a 20 yard field goal with a 7-3 lead in the 3rd quarter Umatilla went for it on 4th and 3. The snap went over the QB’s head. The QB tried to fall on it to no avail. A MDCA player scooped it and took it to the house.

MDCA finished the scoring with TD pass in the 4th. WR Noah Siegers broke free after catching the pass. When he reached the 5 he turned toward the beaten DB and taunted him before crossing the goal line. The refs signaled TD and threw the flag. I’m thinking that since the unsportsmanlike penalty occurred during the play it would not be a TD. After discussing it for what seemed a minute the refs signaled the penalty will be assessed on the kickoff. I called my oldest son’s father-in-law, Dave Stone, who is a former Hillsborough County referee. He said that is the correct call.

I have a new favorite high school football player. His name is Jayden Burgos. Jayden is the backup QB for MDCA who is a 5’7” 130 lb senior. The starter went out in the first quarter with an ankle injury so here comes in Jayden. At first sight I honestly thought he was an 8th grader. Jayden ran the team like the senior he is. Beautiful passes, nifty in the pocket and even better improvising rolling out. Put at least 6”’s and 70+lbs on him and you would have a future FBS QB. Not sure how good the starter is but it would not surprise me if Jayden is the starter from now on.

By the way, both team’s mascots are the Bulldogs. Tavares High is located near these 2 schools and they are the Bulldogs as well. Not sure how that happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
I didnt know Umatilla was even a town in Florida, until 1975 when Wilmore Fowler and a cast of others (The name Wortham seems to come to mind as well) had to go through Fort Meade 27-14, Umatilla 19-13, Pahokee 7-6 and Hamilton County 13-11 for its only state championship in Football. A year later Fowler aka: The Wizzard, led Pametto to a basketball 2A final 4 appearence, where a 32-0 Manatee HS also made 4A final four appearence. Both Palmetto and Manatee would lose to the eventual state champs in the semis. Fowler would go on to play Basketball at Kansas, where his career in Basketball would quietly come to a close. Got to see Manatee play against Jefferson HS in Regoinal finals in Tampa, as that same day Latin District finals were held at Tampa Robinson HS and our Latin Teacher Sarah Kidder decided to delay coming home, so we could go see the game that night! Wavebb may have even played against both of those teams.

Saw Wilmore Fowler play against us, Sarasota, his senior year for Palmetto. I had never seen anyone jump that high. He would rise and then during his jump he would appear to go up another foot just when it looked like he was at top of his jump. I know it was an optical allusion but I realized I was watching a special athlete. The second time was at the SEC Conference Tournament in Lexington, Kentucky. He had transferred from Kansas to Georgia to finish his college career. He was just a dude then.

Umatilla was the better team until the mistake that led to the MDCA defensive player scooping the football. You might wonder what the quality of football I was watching. I would say it is good 2A or 2B level football. Both teams played well. I kind of forgot I was watching SSAA football.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
One more story that the mention of Pahokee reminded to share. Mel Tillis is from Pahokee and was known to have a studdering problem, but could sing without issue and became a fairly well known country singer. Last night on the way home from Venice, the wife and I were playing music trvia. It was my turn and I had seen a sign on the side of Tamiami Trail was advertising for a "Super Handyman", so I decided to start signing the lyrics of Handyman. The wife guessed a number of artists, but eventually seemed rather certain Jackson Brown had sung the song. Finally she gave up and when I told her James Taylor, she just had to look it up to ensure I wasnt BS'ing her, when she did she asked me.....Do you know what the B side song for the 45, Handyman was on.....I laughed and told her you got me on that one! Then she tells me it was a George Jones song Bartender's Blues.......I was surprised I guess Taylor would have recorded a country song, but there it was.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT