ADVERTISEMENT

Free Agency in High School Sports Now?

How does an "Education Committee" pass legislation like this when we all know it will affect sports more than education?

But, even if parents do chose another school so that their child can get a better education, how will the schools they move to get prepared for the onslaught?

NO IT'S NOT! It's another move by the FHSAA who lobbied the politicians to pass the bill giving the already "over paid /do nothing" FHSAA employees less work to do.
Ha ha, this will actually give the FHSAA more power as the starting point for investigations into allegations of recruiting and other improper benefits with penalties ranging from fines to teachers losing certifications.

It's about to be crazy...

I read there are two pieces of legislation. One would fine schools that try to recruit athletes. A teacher's license could even be revoked. The other would not. Of course, the legislation with the fines does not have any punishment for parents or boosters who recruit. Here's a link to the story I read:
http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/hi...ac-290b-5bd5-e053-0100007fda4b-367121611.html

Worse of all, Don Gaetz (former superintendent of Okaloosa County School District), says it will help the military kids. That just proves that he has no idea of the challenges military kids face. As they move, they have opportunity to live on base or move to any area in the community. They already get to choose their school where a local kid will probably stay in the same house their whole childhood. And, military kids change schools enough in their school career which causes many of them to fall behind in academics. Why would a military parent want to move their child again just for sports?

I think the whole thing will put Florida high school athletics in a horrible state. Does a coach get fired for a bad record when all his best players have moved to another school? Why would anyone want to become a coach when they dedicate many hours to the program but don't get the same dedication from their best players? It's really sad!

Who's Bubba? My name's Billy.

We'll all have to agree to disagree about the FHSAA thing. I may be at a disadvantage. I've only been involved for 31 years, so forgive me for being new to this. I have NEVER seen the legislature and the FHSAA work together. The legislature has threatened multiple times to shut the Association down. Don't know why they'd be in cahoots now.

5-star Calvin Ashley transfers from Dr. Phillips to TFA.

DP had 3 stud sophomore basketball players transfer there earlier this year.

This is the second highly-ranked Auburn commit to transfer to The First Academy in one year. Last year it was Daquan Newkirk.

Last edited:

This is the second highly-ranked Auburn commit to transfer to The First Academy in one year. Last year it was Daquan Newkirk.
No state testing requirement at private schools. Isn't Newkirk at a JC?

Newkirk was not an Auburn commit when he transferred to TFA. He was at TFA 2 years but was ineligible as a junior. However the rumor is Ashley can't pass the FCAT so you better believe if that is the case Auburn might have suggested a private school to him. This is the second time he has left DP. After the comments he made to some of our kids after the game I think it there might be more to it than that.

Newkirk is at a JC trying to get his AA before fall 2017.

I won't post what I've heard about the DP player. 5-stars get to your head. DP has all the players they need for next year.

I read there are two pieces of legislation. One would fine schools that try to recruit athletes. A teacher's license could even be revoked. The other would not. Of course, the legislation with the fines does not have any punishment for parents or boosters who recruit. Here's a link to the story I read:
http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/hi...ac-290b-5bd5-e053-0100007fda4b-367121611.html

Worse of all, Don Gaetz (former superintendent of Okaloosa County School District), says it will help the military kids. That just proves that he has no idea of the challenges military kids face. As they move, they have opportunity to live on base or move to any area in the community. They already get to choose their school where a local kid will probably stay in the same house their whole childhood. And, military kids change schools enough in their school career which causes many of them to fall behind in academics. Why would a military parent want to move their child again just for sports?

I think the whole thing will put Florida high school athletics in a horrible state. Does a coach get fired for a bad record when all his best players have moved to another school? Why would anyone want to become a coach when they dedicate many hours to the program but don't get the same dedication from their best players? It's really sad!

Choctaw, i think that is exactly why he is doing it. Eglin sits right in the middle of Okloosa, 15-20 to just about every school in the county, opens up a lot for military kid . . . may benefit the resto f the County . . . could kick Niceville right in the nutz tho.

There was an article in the Sarasota Herald Tribune about 2 weeks ago about Sarasota High School. They had 7 football players leave their program recently. Five of them were in the paper and 2 weren't. This is a problem already.

How many times has the Florida legislatures failed to pass much-needed legislation? Yet, they are spending way too much time on this? Guess we won't see that tax break Governor Scott wanted. I wouldn't save money anyway!

Reactions: peezy28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT