ADVERTISEMENT

Former Naples player killed in boating accident

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Terrible news, Marc Newberry, a former Naples LB. He sounds like an awesome kid, was in college on an academic scholarship.

Boat hit some rocks in a canal, he got thrown out, the operator and canal residents searched for him and couldn't find him for 30 minutes.

Boats are dangerous folks, stay safe. Hug your kids.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35280682/boat-crash-kills-1-in-golden-gate-canal

Last edited:
I did some pretty stupid things when I was that age, there but for the grace of God... I guess its why young people fight wars, you seem to think you're invincible.

I did some pretty stupid things when I was that age, there but for the grace of God... I guess its why young people fight wars, you seem to think you're invincible.

Silver, color me jaded, but I think young people fight wars because they still believe in a cause bigger than themselves. Or, in more modern times, because the armed forces present a good employment option for the sons (and daughters) of the lower middle and working classes. As one ages, he/she often finds that perspectives change. Plus the incentives diminish when we realize that the John McCains and George H. W. Bushes are largely a thing of the past. Which CEO of a large corporation in the USA has served in active duty recently?

I've interviewed a few hundred veterans as far back as WWI (in the 90s). Yes, it was responsibility to ideas and a strong sense of nation.

The point I am making was you don't think much about risk in your teens and twenties. It was best explained to me by a Canadian who was in the first landing craft to hit Juno Beach on D-Day, it had gotten way out in front of the others and he said every German machine gun on that section of the beach opened up when the door dropped. He said offshore on the run in, before bullets started pinging off the ramp door, he and another guy were singing songs and kidding with each other, not to worry, "I'll write your mom, because I'm going to make it". He was one of three that were still alive at the high tide line and he was severely wounded.

Sure. I take your point. When you are young death seems far away and unlikely. And, under normal circumstance, it is. However, war, for most of us, thank God, is not a normal circumstance. And, regardless of relative strength vis a viz the enemy, your chances of dying go up considerably regardless of age in times of war; and sadly even if you are a civilian in a war torn country this holds true.

My lament is that if the sons and daughters of those that make decisions to go to war had skin in the game, then those making the decisions would proceed more cautiously. It used to be routine for Presidents to have military experience (Eisenhower, Kennedy, and many, many others). This is no longer the case on either side of the isle. On the contrary, they avoid any chance of active duty like the plague.

Agree 100%.

Give me a leader who knows what bullets and tank treads can too to the human body. But as a nation, America doesn't vote for them anymore.

Three Vietnam Vets that I can think of have run for President, none were elected. But three of our last four presidents avoided Vietnam with draft deferments.

Agree 100%.

Give me a leader who knows what bullets and tank treads can too to the human body. But as a nation, America doesn't vote for them anymore.

Three Vietnam Vets that I can think of have run for President, none were elected. But three of our last four presidents avoided Vietnam with draft deferments.

And, sadly, it is more likely than not (and we can never know this for certain), that if the fourth had been of age, he, too, would have followed suit. And, therein lies a big part of the problem.

Reactions: Silver King
I was wondering if anyone else noticed - all the analysis and talking heads and not a word about that. I didn't like it when Trump had the nerve to get on McCain about that hero nonsense.

Not that I'm a McCain fan, but he was catching a lot of shit with his arms being screwed up from flailing around after ejecting at such a high speed and with subsequent beatings while three future presidents were home chasing girls with silver spoons in their mouths.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
McCain, whether you like his politics or not, served the country with honor and was a POW. That is more than: Trump, GWB and Clinton, who were of age, can say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT