ADVERTISEMENT

Florida's football all time wins (at least 500 wins)

Hardee: 541-376-31 that I have documented. I'm missing some years in the 1920's and 1909-1919

Hardee: 541-376-31 that I have documented. I'm missing some years in the 1920's and 1909-1919
I took the information from "Football Friday Night" it only provided the top 8, with no link for a listing beyond those 8.

I took the information from "Football Friday Night" it only provided the top 8, with no link for a listing beyond those 8.

I've been working on it for years. My son has helped some. We researched old newspapers, yearbooks, etc.

I've been working on it for years. My son has helped some. We researched old newspapers, yearbooks, etc.
Reach out to them, while I'm sure they put some effort into compiling their list.......I doubt anyone visited every public library around the state to research old newspapers etc...... to compile their data and instead relied on easily accessible information or just relied on information that was provided to them by outside sources?............so I'm sure they'll be interested in seeing what you've come up with!

Pretty impressive Ft Myers with the 2nd highest winning %. Great Program. We helped them pad that % for 40 years - then as I remind Wavebb, my teams handed their Jr High its first loss in 5 years and they took us off the schedule for a few years (Smart, we had one of the FHSAA's 100 Best HS Players in History - Burton Lawless) .

Over the past 25 years Charlotte has inched our way back and made the series look a little more competitive W-L wise. Both programs are examples of what long term, home grown HCs do for a program.

Neither has the horses to compete after the Regional Title level given their sizes and the big city competition in their classifications.

ALL-TIME WINS BY SCHOOL

At least 500 wins

All-Time School Record Win%
1 MANATEE 703-358-30 (8-5-0) 64.444
2 COLUMBIA 690-333-36 (8-4-0) 66.856
3 FORT MYERS 681-317-41 (9-3-0) 67.517
4 LAKELAND SENIOR 629-236-13 72.380
5 PENSACOLA 608-400-34 (1-9-0) 59.981
6 MAINLAND 603-405-36 (6-5-0) 59.483
7 LEON 602-382-51 (2-8-0) 60.628
8 Miami Sunset 586-370-29 (7-3-0) 60.964

Columbia win total is 695 wins and I have the records to prove it

Whoever did it may need to fix the research, also Suwannee has over 600 wins as well as they joined the 600 win club (I believe 2 seasons ago)

I know Charlotte was in the duldums for a lot of years when it's male students farmed or commercial fished.

Even in the late 60s, the year before I started as a soph in 1969, the previous coach had to make a deal with the refs and opposing coach to avoid a forfit and let an injured kid on cruthes stand just inside the out of bounds and step off at the snap so they could line up with 11 to pay.

But without 21 years of scores on my list, they had 342 wins (Binky won almost half of those). I'm missing games from 1976-1998, the 90s were when they finally stared winning consistently.

One day, HWY 17, I may dive into the archives. But I do reseach all the time for books I'm writing, and that takes a lot of time.

Silver King said: " I do research all the time for books I'm writing, and that takes a lot of time."

Where are you going library wise in the area to do research?
My buddy from Athens that I've mentioned before "Emmett" was the head librarian at Old Dominion Univ and before the the different internet search browsers really got into developing algorithms to control search results, he was instrumental in helping me developing key search words similar to how you would at a library to also do research online. Because search browsers online however have worked so hard with controlling search results online I find myself once again needing to get back to doing research once again the old fashion way at a library. Where are the quality library's in the Punta Gorda area?

Gatorman, I'm doing some stuff right now on Vietnam and LBJ's Great Society that started with two interviews I conducted with Bloods (Black Vietnam combat vets) . It has since blossomed to me setting up their stories with a run down of Civili Rights from 1960-on. And wow was that a task - been a year now.

I don't fool with libraries. You can find so many books online if you need them. Rather, I get a lot of my stuff off eBay - sounds weird, but out of print books, old editions of magazines, protest flyers, artifacts, congressional hearing booklets, political mail with position papers to constituents from Senators/Reps, Newspapers, personal letters, etc.

I found a great letter written to Mayor Daley and his answer back to the person about the riots at the 1968 DNC in Chicago. I purchased the room key to McCarthy's communications center in the Conrad Hilton during the 68 DNC where protesters with cracked skulls were brought to give first aid to. A kid who was a teenager at the time held on to it - he was working for the campaign, said it changed his life. I got a great story from him that would have been lost otherwise. Amazing what you can find.

The stuff is high-grade primary source history preserved in the minute of the era it was written, reported, recorded or photographed. Another example, I just picked up a 3-inch MLK button for the April 27, 1968 Fifth Avenue Peace Committee protest in Central Park. Dr. King was supposed to speak at it, but was assassinated 3-weeks earlier, so they made the pins as a commemoration (His wife spoke instead) and the pins were marked wth the details on the rim. I have some leaflets from that march I got years ago. You piece it together with internet searches - just have to check sources on internet and double/triple check. But that pin tells a tidy little story of MLK joining the Anti-war movement a year earlier, and that's what likely got him killed (Bobby Kennedy too).

I haven't been in a Punta Gorda library since the 80s. They used to be decent though.

Good stuff on the historical artifacts from ebay, my wife got me into doing auctions in GA and we came across a number of items like you described in your post........Most unfortunately I had to get rid of prior to moving.....we just has so much stuff. (I had purchased 2 buildings from Home Depot I kept in the back), that had to be emptied before moving. Bout the only thing left now are some paintings I had bought, I just cant bring myself to part with.......I stumbled across a number of paintings done by Gluck Sandor - some done on board, some on canvas, and a couple that are framed. I just cant bring myself to part with any of them at this point. We had some dishes that were marked as once belonging to the "Martin Luther King family" I believe those were sold on ebay. I have a poster "about 20 X 36" that was done by McDonalds commemorating the Bucs first regular season home win against the St Louis Cardinals. A red bag from the 1960's that I keep in a cheap frame from a Hallmark store in Atlanta that long ago went out of business, of Snoopy doing his happy dance. I had a thing for old books too.... still have a few but nothing like I had before the move back to Florida. Speaking of Vietnam another short story about my friend Emmett, when he was finally able to come home for good the 1st night he was home, his wife told his 2 girls to go kiss their Dad good-night and then go to bed. Both girls went up to a pic that Ms Carole his wife had kept on the TV of Emmett while was away and kissed the pic good-night and went to bed. Emmett was stunned by that one innocent act, in as far as suddenly realizing just how long he had been away that the girls had become conditioned to kissing that pic each night, that it never occurred to them that Daddy was home now and they could kiss him.

One other note: Don't know whether you keep up on population shifts as it relates specifically to the Punta Gorda area, but just in the 11 months I've been here.....I'm seeing what I deem rather significant influx of folks coming to the Punta Gorda area to call it their new home.......unfortunate in one respect because I look at Punta Gorda as being the closest thing on the Gulf of Mexico side of the state, in what I remember Bradenton being like growing up. If however this type of growth continues, I can see what happen east of I75 from the time I moved away in 1993 in Manatee County.....happening here as well.

Last edited:
Historic artafacks.

A former H.S. football teammate once invited Nu'Trelle over to his house. An entire wall in the guy's den was filled wiff portraits of fine-looking wimmens. When Nu'Trelle axed who they was, the guy replied, "Those is wimmens I once dated."

Shocked, Nu'Trelle said, "I'm surprised your wife would allow you to hang onto 'em."

"All I got leff is these pictures," he said solemnly, "Damn wife destroyed every last one of the blow-up dolls."

hmmmm, well if the wife destroyed every last one of them blow-up dolls, couple of things come immediately to mind......
1.) The bar must of been set pretty low in as far as looks go with the woman he married?
2.) Would this have been a football teammate prior to the introduction of the facemask? That must have been one ugly son-of- b**ch, if he was stuck with blow-up dolls for dates before he met the wife?

My folks lived in Tampa for awhile after I left for college. I ended up with about six of those McDonalds Buc posters. I think you had to buy a QLT to get one - went for a couple days until they ran out.

A close friend, a die-hard Cardinals fan, gave me so much crap about how bad the Bucs were I brought one back to Dodge City after Christmas Break. I snuck into his apartment and tacked one up above his couch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT