ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Football Rankings

...because I agree, the AP Poll is complete garbage and I wouldn't consider it a ranking.

Choctaw.... The AP is the longest running organization that produces state high school football rankings in Florida... Its been around as long as I remember and releases weekly. My guess is its been around since the 60's.

Don't know how I missed it. How does it compare to Max Preps and the Laz Index?

Peezy, is correct. The AP Florida high school football poll has been around for decades. Most state newspapers carry it weekly during the regular season.

Sorry but I always thought an AP ranking to be nationwide. There aren't enough newspapers across Florida to give valid rankings.

The most important thing to remember about the AP or any other HS ranking is not to remember it.
Neutral is more or less correct Choctaw. Each of the 15 or so Florida voters represent and are employed by a different state newspaper. They all have a vested interest in promoting schools from their coverage area. Some, if not most, are generally clueless about other areas of the state. The old "monkey see, monkey do" is very prevalent in their voting. It is what it is.....just keep my Bucs up there near the top :)

Reactions: peezy28
Sorry but I always thought an AP ranking to be nationwide. There aren't enough newspapers across Florida to give valid rankings.

You don't have to be apart of a paper to vote in the poll just a verified member of the media... Steve Berrey has probably had a vote in the poll in the past aswell.

Reactions: MikeSinger
There are tons of newspapers in Florida, every county has at least 1, some metropolitians have more then 1 So their are enough newspapers and I think some get more then 1 rep for the vote

There are tons of newspapers in Florida, every county has at least 1, some metropolitians have more then 1 So their are enough newspapers and I think some get more then 1 rep for the vote
Just look at the number of 1st place votes the top teams gets in their class. Example : 4A Booker T Washington now gets damn near all #1's. It's the number in parentheses ( ) next to their name. That's how many voters are in the poll that week.

Just look at the number of 1st place votes the top teams gets in their class. Example : 4A Booker T Washington now gets damn near all #1's. It's the number in parentheses ( ) next to their name. That's how many voters are in the poll that week.
14- #1's = 14 voters

So who comes up with the second number?
Generally each voter fills out 1-10 in each class. 1st =10 pts, 2nd=9, and so on. If there are 15 voters and BTW gets them all they have 150 pts. But if they have 149 that means one of the 15 voters gave then a 2nd place (9pts) vote. Total points determine your place in the rankings.

So there are three newspapers from the west coast of Florida through Panama City. And, two of those papers are owned by the same company. Does that affect their vote? Probably!

In that area, there are 3-6A disctricts. So, if there are 3 quality teams in 6A up there, that would count as one vote each. In Miami, a 6A team can get how many votes?

Probably, but the poll has been around a long time and Panhandle teams get credit and ranking every year.

Reactions: AmstaffNole
In that area, there are 3-6A disctricts. So, if there are 3 quality teams in 6A up there, that would count as one vote each. In Miami, a 6A team can get how many votes?
There's a great deal of inequity involved with the Polls, Choctaw. What you need to do is protest. If you go to a game tonight, refuse to stand when the home team's Alma Mater is played, just kneel. If your knees hurt too much to do that, just sit.

If anyone gives you any lip, light them up with a couple shots of mace. If the police show up, forget the mace and use one of your handguns. Bring several high-capacity magazines for an inner-city match-up.

As fans, we need to stand-up, kneel or sit down for our rights.

Choctaw...wtf....you kill me sometimes.......smh....AP poll has been the main poll forever.....as mentioned before panhandle teams get plenty of credit in the poll....Navarre, Pine Forest, and Niceville are all represented this year........smh

"Wait so your saying a district runner up can host a district champ in round 4 of the playoffs????!!!"

-ChoctawFan - Michael Scott - AmstaffNole

Sorry, I guess the memory is going!

Neutral, it hurts like hell for me to stand all the way through the national anthem but I will do it every time. It's important to me!

Last edited:
... I guess the memory is going! Neutral, it hurts like hell for me to stand all the way through the national anthem but I will do it ever time.
Sorry to hear that standing up for the Anthem makes your memory go out, but you are not alone. Same thing happens to Wavebb. Sometimes he'll still be standing up at the end of the first quarter. Makes it very difficult for the people behind him ... especially if they're protesting by sitting down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT