ADVERTISEMENT

Finally the FHSAA is being called out!

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
They've allowed high school sports in Florida to become one big mess, and Monday decided to ignore the advice of its medical folks and proceed with it time line for fall sports. Today the Miami/Dade school board made the following announcement. "At the School Board Meeting of August 12, 2020, School Board Vice-Chair Dr. Steve Gallon III will proffer School Board Agenda Item H-9 regarding the withdrawal of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) from the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA). Not sure what will come of this, at least at this meeting, but if the Miami/Dade area were to decide to actually do this I believe it will set in motion a statewide chain reaction.

I personally believe until something definitive about ensuring kids safety is established, High School sports should be suspended indefinitely. Then the schools or school boards can use the down time to re-evaluate High School Sports and the entity it authorizes as its sanctioning body state wide. Too many major issues just in the last 10-20 years the FHSAA has done nothing more than turn its head or kicked the can down the road rather then doing the right thing.....I believe money more times than not is probably the bottom line motivation to its most important decisions or lack of.....

Will be something worth watching!

Last edited:
Do public schools buy their sports insurance policies through the FHSAA? That would probably have a great deal to do with things.

FHSAA is a mess, but in the start of the season, they did nothing the government hasn't done; everybody puts offmaking the decison and pushes it on to some other level to make the decision.

No if Miami Dade jumps and has their own league, and the rest of te Fhsaa stays together, then small city teams like Ft Myers and Charlotte might get the odd chance at getting a run at a State Title

FHSAA is a mess, but in the start of the season, they did nothing the government hasn't done; everybody puts offmaking the decison and pushes it on to some other level to make the decision.

I guess then that makes them completely ignoring the medical folks recommendation then completely acceptable...........right, because that's how government does things? If that's what you deem to be a acceptable outcome from those in the position of leadership or having oversight authority, then you and I have different expectations of what leadership means.

No if Miami Dade jumps and has their own league, and the rest of te Fhsaa stays together, then small city teams like Ft Myers and Charlotte might get the odd chance at getting a run at a State Title
Yeah those bad ole teams from Miami and all those state titles they kept Lee County and Charlotte County from winning and or playing for. All I feel I should say about that is "Come on man!" and leave it at that. Anything else I could say that comes immediately to mind, is probably just going to piss you off.

Last edited:
Do public schools buy their sports insurance policies through the FHSAA? That would probably have a great deal to do with things.

The Postal Service has discounts it makes available to mailers that are willing to enter mail into major sorting facilities rather than entering it at their local PO called "Entry Level Discounts" Occasionally due to to the limited availability of specific sorting equipment or limited logistics of some trucking routes from those facilities, the Postal Service will establish what's known as a "re-direct" which is published in a listing known as Facility Access and Shipment Tracking or FAST.

I had a situation in Atlanta where a mailer was attempting to enter a large mailing at a facility which had a published "re-direct" in FAST, but was insisting on still getting the entry level discount and still drop at a facility not authorized to provide that discount...... Lots of legal terminology and rules to keep up with, when your dealing with mailers dropping mailings in which they can easily spend thousands if not millions of dollars in postage. As is the case more times than not, I ended up being on the phone talking to the folks in DC, because the mailer felt he knew the right people in DC to side step the rules and regulations in the Domestic Mail Manual "DMM". While my position on this matter was sound and based entirely on rules and regulations, as I had a established history of applying equably previously, the legal folks in DC decided that in this instance because the "Re-Direct" was in reality a internal policy within the Postal Service, for me to deny the mailer the entry level discount in this instance, would amount to me imposing a rate increase not approved by the Postal Rate Commission "PRC".......... Just another one of those "Are you kidding me?" moments I encountered a number of times before I retired.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that the potential loss of insurance premiums paid through the FHSAA, be an motivation to ignoring the advice of the medical community and the FHSAA instead deciding to let the boys play football. and it too becoming one of those "Are you kidding me?" moments

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT