ADVERTISEMENT

Finale football reclassification is out for 2015-2018

Wow. Pahokee is now in 1A. Never thought I'd see the day. A while back I thought they could move up to 6A and compete. Maybe Madison and Pahokee can go at it for the first time.

Is it a typo (interngate) or did 8A-6 and 8A-7 flip?

That's heavy- pits Manatee and Dr. Phillips round 2 (with Oak Ridge as a threat in DPs new district).

That would mean Osceola (close to DP, now 8A-7) would play Fort Pierce Central or Vero.

Manatee now has the toughest draw to the finals.

Round 1/2
Dr. Phillips: Loaded class of 17 one year better
Oak Ridge: Beat Apopka last year, talent city

Round 3
Osceola: 7A finalist that beat a lot of good teams
Vero Beach: Building program, almost over hump
Ft Pierce Central: Don't care what their record was

Final 4
Maybe Apopka... 8A Region 1 is nowhere near Region 2. Orange City University may be the surprise team in the state next year in 8A. If Lorenzo Lingard plays for them next year (no reason to think he won't), they are top 25 material. Went 8-2 last year, lost to DeLand 7-0 without Lingard and lost to Lake Mary close.

Either way...Manatee has a tough draw.

This post was edited on 1/23 3:56 PM by Pipe Dreams

The panhandle is a mess. Every single large team is in 6A and that's the highest classification up there. Only one team will represent past the second round. Last year they sent two teams to the final four.

If this was what the coaches wanted, it saves travel money but doesn't give a lot of exposure to the players in that area.

Pipe Dreams, University lost 7-6 to Deland. If Lingard wouldn't have gotten injured, the Titans would have gone 10-0 and won the district easily. He averaged 12.3 yards per carry as a freshmen. University was the second best team in Volusia/Flagler in 2014, right behind Mainland.

I will try and do all the maps.

Class 1A Map

Couple of things that strike me,
Bell being in a district with Hamilton, Jefferson, and Madison when there were closer schools like Branford and Lafayette (Mayo) and bigger schools like Fort White. If I was FHSAA, I would have gone with Baldwin and Hilliard with Jeff/Mad/Ham.
Also Pahokee being in this makes me wonder if the FHSAA will allow teams to not be in 1A for all sports.. Pahokee to Crescent City is a 4 hour drive!!!!

Class 2A Map

Probably the biggest shame is that there are a TON of small private schools that want to compete in this division, but are considered too big or don't want to travel or don't want to deal with the schools that do recruit.
This post was edited on 1/25 5:03 PM by gatorman-uf

Great maps! I have to learn how to do that.

I agree that many of the districts cross each other. Were they trying to keep rivalries intact?

Pahokee will travel no matter who they play. What a mess!

Choctaw,

Unfortunately, no... Bell and Trenton are in the same county, less than 10 minute drive door to door (of course that brings up another issue of why have 2 separate schools in such a small county), yet were put in a different district on Dec 15, again when they re-did the district,s, and finally bell appealed to be in the current district.

Pahokee's travel was usually just inland to west palm area... i don't blame them though, they haven't been Pahokee for a LONG time now.

Class 3A Map

I think the solution for the independents, 2A, and 3A is that you combine them all. Allow win % over the past 4 years to determine if you are in the 2A or 2B district. So schools like Oak Hall, St. Francis (Gainesville) could be in the 2B district while the NFC, Glades Day, Trinity Christians could be in 2A. Play to a regional championship in 2B, if you win the regional championship, you are automatically in 2A when realignment comes up.

Class 4A Map

It is amazing to think that less than 3 years ago, Glades Central vs University School would be an outstanding district game. Now, ehh.. It is amazing how quickly programs can rise and fall.
This post was edited on 1/25 6:26 PM by gatorman-uf

Class 8A Map

What amazes me is that the FHSAA doesn't think harder about moving the state championships to FAU's new stadium. With all the 8A schools in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties I would think a trip to FAU would be a dream. Of course, I am a person who also believes that the 1A should be held in place like Gene Cox Stadium in Tallahassee, Lake City Columbia High School Stadium, or Citizen's Field in Gainesville.

Lake Wales moved up to 6a with Auburndale and Tenoroc down to 4a with Mulberry. Now Polk County has no teams in 5a.

Fort Meade and Frostproof are going to be earning frequent flyer miles.

For a while in the mid 2000s, that is what Miami-Dade public schools did. They basically owned all of Region 4 and part of Region 3. Classes

So basically they are ensured at least one team in the Final 4, at which point it is anybody's game.
Of Course, Dade, maybe Orange, are the only single counties that could do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT