ADVERTISEMENT

FHSAA Should Postpone

gatorman-uf

Jul 28, 2006
I know it will be hard, but the FHSAA should postpone one week and cancel week 11 (non-district) games if they want to have the state championships the same day. Or if we want to play all 10 games, postpone and find a new place for the state championships.

Jacksonville has a home game on the 17th, but the state championships could play them from the 14th-16th.
Tampa doesn't play a home game until the 18th, but the state championships could play them from the 14th-16th.
Miami (Hard Rock Stadium) doesn't play a home game at all during the postponed week.
Boca Raton (FAU) doesn't host a game until the 19th, but the state championships could play them from the 14th-16th.
Daytona Beach could be a choice again as they don't seem to have any games during the postponed week.
Orlando (UCF), Tallahassee (FSU), and Gainesville (UF) have Fall Graduation, so they would be out.

At this point, football is not the focus of numerous communities, stadiums are in disrepair, schools are still in shelter mode, traffic is still snarled on I-75 and I-95. For many schools, these are games that will be have to be made up due to being district games.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-sp-hs-irma-aftermath-09013-story.html

I agree that sports are not the highest priority at this time. But, there was no damage in the panhandle. Schools are in session and should be allowed to play their games. Penalizing them would not be fair.

Reactions: 181pl
Not penalizing them, just asking them to postpone one week. We can't have some teams playing week 4 games and others playing week 5 games. Because many district games are this week, they have to play these games at some point.

If as I suspect, many of these games are postponed. You run into obstacle that team will play a Friday Night game, a Monday Night make-up game, and a Friday Night game. 3 games in 8 days does not seem wise either.

Postponing this week and canceling week 10 is the easiest thing if they can't move state championships.
Postponing this week and moving state championships back a week is harder.
Postponing this week and moving state championships to a Home game for one team could be easier.

They won't. See below:

The safety of the student-athletes, parents, coaches and school administrators impacted by Hurricane Irma remains our top concern. Due to the widespread and varying levels of impact from Hurricane Irma, the FHSAA has chosen not to uniformly cancel, postpone and/or prohibit play. The FHSAA plans to maintain the originally scheduled season dates in an effort to cause the least amount of impact on all other non-athletic activities. The decision to practice and/or play remains up to each individual school and/or school district. Provided facilities, roadways and conditions permit, each school is encouraged to resume play as soon as possible. In an effort to get teams conditioned appropriately and back on track with regularly scheduled games, practice will be permitted this Sunday (September 17th) only, with your school and/or school districts approval.

In the event games need to be rescheduled or postponed, schools are encouraged to work together to come up with a date that best suits all parties involved. If a game is rescheduled, please email all specific details to football@fhsaa.org as soon as a decision has been made.

With regard to the FHSAA’s points system for Football, as originally planned, total points will be determined by dividing points earned by games played. If a school falls below the eight (8) game (minimum) requirement, the Executive Director may waive the minimum game requirement on a case-by-case basis.

As I said in an earlier post on BCP, this season's over for every team in Hillsborough County unless Lanness Robinson and the HC School Board comes up with a plan as soon as possible. And based on their less then admirable track record, I don't think we can be optomistic about make up games based on the drones/bureaucrats that run HC athletics. For example, we will be heading into week 5 and Robinson will have played ONE game. Leto postponed due to weather; Make up postponed due to weather. Plant game was played but second half had to be played the next morning due to lightning Fri. Night. The East Bay and Spoto games were cancelled due to Irma (well really, only East Bay; County could have easily played games on Thursday, 3 full days before the storm hit).

So no Tampa team, without make ups, would even have the required 8 games to be considered for playoff contention. Further, a lot of schools in Central and S. Fla. would be in the same boat.

I agree that sports are not the highest priority at this time. But, there was no damage in the panhandle. Schools are in session and should be allowed to play their games. Penalizing them would not be fair.

The playoffs will be made up of all Panhandle teams lol.

Naw, that will NEVER happen! We don't have talent in the panhandle, remember?

Niceville hosted Choctaw the Friday after 9/11 in a community of mostly military. We needed that event to heal and most communities in Florida now need football as a distraction. If the stadiums and equipment are not damaged, the schools districts should allow them to play. Play mid-week games to make up those missed.

Not very smart to force teams to play Friday, Monday and then Friday. Way to much football in that period of time for anyone let alone kids.

I told my neighbor, David, this just the other day. My mule had gotten out again and I suspect that, perhaps, was why he was so grumpy - certainly he is not the insensitive bastard he seemed to be. David felt, among other things, that those who could play, should play.

Reactions: NOT Silver King
Choctaw played last night, will make up a game on Monday, then play their homecoming game on Friday. I assume other panhandle teams are doing the same. It's often done up here because hurricanes and tropical storms affect us very often.

I told my neighbor, David, this just the other day. My mule had gotten out again and I suspect that, perhaps, was why he was so grumpy - certainly he is not the insensitive bastard he seemed to be. David felt, among other things, that those who could play, should play.

Ya nevah pinned me, Hahley Raith...........

Reactions: 181pl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT