ADVERTISEMENT

District Champions and Runner-Ups

gatorman-uf

Jul 28, 2006
One of the arguments against the "old" system was that the best teams did not always get in. Now, it is impossible to be perfect with District Champions and Runner-ups due to lack of shootouts for some of these ties. So it will be interesting to compare how many "playoff" teams from the old system make it vs the "new" system.

5A 1 Champion West Florida
5A 1 Runner-Up Pensacola
5A 2 Champion Godby
5A 2 Runner-Up Wakulla
5A 3 Champion Ribault
5A 3 Runner-Up Suwannee
5A 4 Champion Trinity Chstian*Ponte Vedra*Bolles
5A 4 Runner-Up Trinity Chstian*Ponte Vedra*Bolles
5A 5 Champion Baker County
5A 5 Runner-Up Clay
5A 6 Champion North Marion*Eastside*Belleview
5A 6 Runner-Up North Marion*Eastside*Belleview
5A 7 Champion Hernando*Nature Coast Tech*Citrus
5A 7 Runner-Up Hernando*Nature Coast Tech*Citrus
5A 8 Champion Zephyrhills
5A 8 Runner-Up River Ridge
5A 9 Champion Lakewood
5A 9 Runner-Up Tarpon Springs
5A 10 Champion Jefferson
5A 10 Runner-Up Jesuit
5A 11 Champion Hardee
5A 11 Runner-Up Booker
5A 12 Champion Immokalee
5A 12 Runner-Up Dunbar
5A 13 Champion Jones
5A 13 Runner-Up Bishop Moore
5A 14 Champion Rockledge
5A 14 Runner-Up Palm Bay
5A 15 Champion Westwood
5A 15 Runner-Up Suncoast
5A 16 Champion American Heritage (Plantation)
5A 16 Runner-Up Cardinal Gibbons

6A 1 Champion Escambia
6A 1 Runner-Up Tate
6A 2 Champion Navarre
6A 2 Runner-Up Gulf Breeze
6A 3 Champion Crestview
6A 3 Runner-Up Niceville
6A 4 Champion St. Augustine
6A 4 Runner-Up Nease
6A 5 Champion Vanguard
6A 5 Runner-Up Gainesville
6A 6 Champion Mitchell
6A 6 Runner-Up Springstead
6A 7 Champion Armwood
6A 7 Runner-Up Hillsborough
6A 8 Champion Lake Gibson
6A 8 Runner-Up Sebring
6A 9 Champion Largo
6A 9 Runner-Up Clearwater
6A 10 Champion North Fort Myers
6A 10 Runner-Up Charlotte
6A 11 Champion Fort Myers
6A 11 Runner-Up Lehigh
6A 12 Champion Naples
6A 12 Runner-Up Palmetto Ridge
6A 13 Champion Mainland
6A 13 Runner-Up Mantanzas
6A 14 Champion Heritage
6A 14 Runner-Up Eau Gallie
6A 15 Champion Dillard
6A 15 Runner-Up Archbishop McCarthy
6A 16 Champion Northwestern
6A 16 Runner-Up Miami Central

7A 1 Champion Lincoln
7A 1 Runner-Up Chiles
7A 2 Champion Robert E Lee
7A 2 Runner-Up Columbia
7A 3 Champion Bartram Trail
7A 3 Runner-Up Fleming Island
7A 4 Champion Edgewater
7A 4 Runner-Up East Ridge
7A 5 Champion Lake Nona
7A 5 Runner-Up East River
7A 6 Champion Viera
7A 6 Runner-Up Martin County
7A 7 Champion Lakeland
7A 7 Runner-Up Kathleen
7A 8 Champion Plant
7A 8 Runner-Up Gaither
7A 9 Champion Tampa Bay Tech
7A 9 Runner-Up Bloomingdale
7A 10 Champion Pinellas Park
7A 10 Runner-Up East Lake
7A 11 Champion Venice
7A 11 Runner-Up Braden River
7A 12 Champion South Fort Myers
7A 12 Runner-Up Gulf Coast
7A 13 Champion Dwyer
7A 13 Runner-Up Forest Hill
7A 14 Champion St Thomas Aquinas
7A 14 Runner-Up Ely
7A 15 Champion West Broward
7A 15 Runner-Up Nova
7A 16 Champion Doral Academy
7A 16 Runner-Up Mater Academy Charter

8A 1 Champion Flagler Palm Coast
8A 1 Runner-Up Spruce Creek
8A 2 Champion Seminole
8A 2 Runner-Up Lake Mary
8A 3 Champion Winter Park
8A 3 Runner-Up Boone
8A 4 Champion Wekiva
8A 4 Runner-Up West Orange
8A 5 Champion Dr. Phillips
8A 5 Runner-Up Olympia
8A 6 Champion Riverview
8A 6 Runner-Up Manatee
8A 7 Champion Osceola
8A 7 Runner-Up Ridge Community
8A 8 Champion Vero Beach
8A 8 Runner-Up Treasure Coast
8A 9 Champion Palm Beach Central
8A 9 Runner-Up Seminole Ridge
8A 10 Champion Atlantic
8A 10 Runner-Up Park Vista
8A 11 Champion Deerfield Beach
8A 11 Runner-Up Stoneman Douglas
8A 12 Champion Miramar
8A 12 Runner-Up Plantation
8A 13 Champion North Miami
8A 13 Runner-Up North Miami Beach
8A 14 Champion Columbus
8A 14 Runner-Up Miami
8A 15 Champion Belen Jesuit
8A 15 Runner-Up Braddock
8A 16 Champion South Dade*Southridge*Palmetto
8A 16 Runner-Up South Dade*Southridge*Palmetto

I took a look at the rankings on the FHSAA website and see in the higher classes, the district champions are usually ranked high. I want to look again after the championships to see if the rankings were a better predictor of who won it all.

In case anybody is curious of the 60 possible district runner-up positions (4 districts would have required shootouts). 40 of them made the playoffs, 20 did not. Of the 20 that did not make the playoffs, 4 teams were passed over by teams they explicitly beat in district match-ups (West Orange vs Apopka, Charlotte vs Port Charlotte, Kathleen vs Winter Haven,and East Lake vs St. Petersburg (actually 4th place in district))

The math says 60 district champions plus 40 runner-ups equals 100 in the old system out of 120 make it in the system. Or 83.3%

So you guys are ok with Barron Collier making the playoffs with a 5-5 record over Charlotte that was 6-4? Charlotte should be in not BC!!! The point system was suppose to fix this but it appears it hasn’t…I could be wrong on this I don’t know

I am totally okay with not all district runner ups getting in. I think the point system can be tweaked but overall LOVED IT! Some times a 5-5 team is just better than a 6-4 team. Also EVERY game counts now not just the district ones.

The fact that one district got all of its teams in the playoffs and its totally justified tells me the system works. On the flip side of that perhaps there should be a way where even if your a district champ you DONT get in because there can be some really weak district champs too.

I love this system! It works a hundred times better than the old one. Playoffs were a total drag. And for the record, I have BC at #32 in 6A. Charlotte sits at #36. Sorry SK and HardeeWildcatFan. Anyway, It’s just numbers but this is the greatest thing to happen to Florida HS football since I’ve been a fan.

Reactions: peezy28
I am totally okay with not all district runner ups getting in. I think the point system can be tweaked but overall LOVED IT! Some times a 5-5 team is just better than a 6-4 team. Also EVERY game counts now not just the district ones.

The fact that one district got all of its teams in the playoffs and its totally justified tells me the system works. On the flip side of that perhaps there should be a way where even if your a district champ you DONT get in because there can be some really weak district champs too.

No your wrong every game doesn’t count and here’s why. Hardee lost points due to SE forfeiting and Hardee should ha e been able to keep ALL those points because SE was undefeated whenever Hardee beat them. Why should another team get screwed on points ? Also Hardee lost some pints due to Hurricane Irma because Avon Park and Sebring only played 7 games per prep max schedules. Again Hardee got screwed because that forced each of those schools to be moved down a category because they only played 7 games.

No your wrong every game doesn’t count and here’s why. Hardee lost points due to SE forfeiting and Hardee should ha e been able to keep ALL those points because SE was undefeated whenever Hardee beat them. Why should another team get screwed on points ? Also Hardee lost some pints due to Hurricane Irma because Avon Park and Sebring only played 7 games per prep max schedules. Again Hardee got screwed because that forced each of those schools to be moved down a category because they only played 7 games.

That sounds exactly like EVERY game counts... those games you missed or had to deal with other teams forfeiting affected Hardee in a negative way... It hurt but they all definitely still counted. That is something they need to fix though with the forfeiting and stuff. Cleawater basically dropped from a 6 to an 8th seed because they lost to East lake who forfeited 5 games.

Laz no need buddy, realistically we really weren't playoff caliber this season, but played far better competition than the team we beat, who is going.

This system showed me: 1) You better be sure you beat the majority of the tough teams you schedule, particularly if you're playing half your schedule against previous or current season playoff teams, or 2) Or just schedule perennial losers and play the odds that the teams that play tougher schedules are likely to lose some of those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: peezy28
This system showed me: 1) You better be sure you beat the majority of the tough teams you schedule, particularly if you're playing half your schedule against previous or current season playoff teams, or 2) Or just schedule perennial losers and play the odds that the teams that play tougher schedules are likely to lose some of those games.
If you take option 2, you need to win all your games against the losers. Lose to a category 3 or 4 team and your back is against the wall.

I think your odds are substantially better playing weak sisters - as this showed me. But Charlotte has never not scheduled good teams, we're back playing Venice, we always play Ft Myers - both Distrct Champs, North Ft Myers finally beat us and won our district and is loaded with athletes. Dunbar was pretty good too. This happened because we have three very weak teams in our district and Port Charlotte beat them easily along with scheduling teams like Hileah that I think I saw scored only 14 points all season.

We should be back in the mix next year. Just about our whole defense returns that includes a fresman corner that will be the cat's meow the next few years. As young as they were, they kept us in a lot of the tougher games against older, veteran teams,

Charlottte should be in over PC... i agree.
What is PCs record ?

I would like to see all districts done away with and go with regional seeding only… That 5A Tampa district has like what 7 teams while others have 4-5 teams… FHSAA should open it up so teams can play a lot more different teams every two years… I would love to see Hardee play other teams than the normal teams they play as it gets old…

Last edited:
I think your odds are substantially better playing weak sisters - as this showed me. But Charlotte has never not scheduled good teams, we're back playing Venice, we always play Ft Myers - both Distrct Champs, North Ft Myers finally beat us and won our district and is loaded with athletes. Dunbar was pretty good too. This happened because we have three very weak teams in our district and Port Charlotte beat them easily along with scheduling teams like Hileah that I think I saw scored only 14 points all season.

We should be back in the mix next year. Just about our whole defense returns that includes a fresman corner that will be the cat's meow the next few years. As young as they were, they kept us in a lot of the tougher games against older, veteran teams,

wow they got 14?? My Alma Mater scored a whopping 6 points all year and got about 500 scored against them.

What is PCs record ?

I would like to see all districts done away with and go with regional seeding only… That 5A Tampa district has like what 7 teams while others have 4-5 teams… FHSAA should open it up so teams can play a lot more different teams every two years… I would love to see Hardee play other teams than the normal teams they play as it gets old…
I believe PC was 7-2 and Charlote was 6-4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT