ADVERTISEMENT

Did Your School Walk Out?

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
It's important to teach children to support a cause and stick with it. Hope this shows Congress that we need to care about the safety of our youngest generation and the next group of voters. Thank goodness Florida has passed some reforms. Let's hope the US Congress does the same. Many football prospects were among those who have died. Stop this madness!

As long as it is the students, but If it were really the students, they shouldn't have gotten"help" organizing; or be trusting anyone over 30 for that matter. Nomsayin'

Our school did. In the courtyard (Thanks to Hurricane Charley, we have a gated school), so no one had the need to, or left campus. They were respectfully silent. Our art dept had 17 paintings of the victims on easels and 17 tethered balloons were released after each name and age was read. They were tethered so they didn't float off to affect the environment like killing sea-turtles out in the Gulf. Whole thing was 17 minutes long. A couple of kids had anti-gun messages, most everyone else was there to remember the victims.

"Hope this shows Congress that we need to care about the safety of our youngest generation"

An important first step would be to stop demonizing those who disagree with you politically as uncaring about dead kids.

This is a family problem just as much as it is anything else. 26 of the 27 deadliest mass shootings in the US were committed by males without a father figure in the home.

SK would agree, of course. But the 'Elephant in the Room' is that your statement loosely falls under many of the categories of 'social engineering' and the crowd the goes right to the Default Gun issue (within five minutes of one of these tragedies), doesn't want that to replace their 'hot box' agenda.

In football, its like getting a jump off the ball.

There's plenty of "anything else" to go around: mental illness, a permissive chance after chance society (Parkland sheriff/ Broward County and that really swell idea of school discipline reform), and legally drugged up generations of kids, desensitized by graphic video games - I heard a while back (before this most recent one) 100% of school shooters, had a history of playing violent video games.

Our society has been unwinding for quite a while. Old SK was around to see the cover come off that ball, and is getting ever close to see that little ball in the center that everything has been unraveling off of.

Reactions: peezy28
And there are a lot of single mothers who raise great children! If that's your excuse, how did they get access to a gun? Mom didn't buy it. So is gun access the real issue?

I think our biggest problem is all the bigotry in the media. And, the president openly bullying everyone doesn't help either. We were taught to control our anger. Now the media tells everyone to get mad and do something about it right now!

Voting rights have changed significantly since first written by our founding fathers. Why can't the 2nd amendment also be changed. Any intelligent human being knows the need to own a gun is so much different now than 250 years ago. Destroy the NRA and the gun problems quickly goes away!

"Destroy the NRA and the gun problems quickly goes away!"

Then we can make drinking and driving illegal and nobody else will be killed by a drunk driver. SMH

Choc, You as a single mother did do a great job - I have a lot of admiration, because it took my wife and I, a tag team approach to see our three sons through high school before it was just me. But like you, we had organized sports, committed coaches, particularly in football, to help instill discipline in our sons. The vast majority of single moms don't have that. Football helps save kids - I played with probably 10 guys in 10 years who I can say it did. They came from horrible situations but fought through, saw as many drop off and end bad.

I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree that abolishing the NRA is the answer. That's a lobby group, no different than any of the abortion rights lobby groups, or the AMA.

Again, it is not a simple, single thing fix. It is a combination of many things. It is also a check's and balance system (involving the Broward Co. Sheriff's Dept , FBI, FL DFC and recent changes in discipline policy because Broward County had one of the worst records for suspensions and arrests in the state) that failed those kids and that school.

Based on the information that has come out since that tragic event, that mentally ill young man should have been charged twice for holding a gun up to someone's head; twice for Aggravated Assault on his mother (Felony conviction whole have prevented gun ownership); and Baker acted by DFC at the request of the school, but DFC didn't. People begged to get him off the street and they didn't. No, they didn't have to wait for something to happen, just enforce the existing laws.

But its the NRA?

What I'm mad as hell about is that pompous ass Parkland Sheriff, Israel, grabbing the limelight and microphone and playing straight to the liberal gun grab, default argument, in order to deflect the blame away from him and his Department.

Why? Because by the time his mouth was running he knew damn well his responders had been waiting outside, listening to the carnage inside the building. But that's what government bets on; the masses are always fooled by the smoke and mirrors.

I didn't know all the details about Broward County Schools. I did know the cops failed to go in, but, if this kid had already dropped the gun, who would they know to arrest? I am so thankful they found and arrested him. You have to give them kudos for that. One more crazy person off the street.

My problem with the NRA is that every time there is a shooting, they tell their members to go buy a gun before their rights are taken away. So, since Columbine, gun ownership has increased exponentially. You have to wonder how often these gun owners even review their inventory. They wouldn't know if one was stolen or borrowed by a child because they own so many.

I lived only a few miles from the NRA headquarters in Fairfax VA and it made me sick to pass that building daily. I am not against gun ownership. I grew up with them. I'm against the hysteria caused by the NRA. And, I believe children have the right to live a long, healthy life!

Is the NRA solely at fault? No, but if you constantly push against policies that could have prevented this than you deserve blame.. If Presidents, Senators, Representatives, Governors, and state legislators are afraid of the NRA's shadow (and they are), then yes, I feel it is perfectly acceptable to put some of the blame on the NRA and the leadership group that runs it.

Go back and look at many of the stances that the NRA had even in the 90s, the current version of the NRA would never advocate for those policies. They have in the past 20 years become more extreme on their positions, not less. They have no mind to compromise even in common sense legislation.

----------
As for many of the other issues, can we talk about the horrible idea of arming school personnel, especially teachers?

Twitter Rant

"Cops develop a distant relationship with the public, us and them, sheep and wolves, because they may have to kill that public. Because they always have to be on alert that the public might try to kill them."

"Is THAT really the mindset you want in a teacher? One where they must regard all children as potential threats, potential enemies, potential targets? Where they must be prepared to kill children at an moment? Image where that goes over the long term."

"Cops develop a distant relationship with the public, us and them, sheep and wolves, because they may have to kill that public. Because they always have to be on alert that the public might try to kill them."

"Is THAT really the mindset you want in a teacher? One where they must regard all children as potential threats, potential enemies, potential targets? Where they must be prepared to kill children at an moment? Image where that goes over the long term."

Exactly. Couldn't agree more! Add students attempting to disarm teachers and using said weapons against them and other students. We would end up with total chaos.

What a big difference today in Maryland, when someone with a gun was close by. Funny how there isn't 24-7 coverage on it...

We can keep relying on coaches and teachers (Disproportionate amount of coaches in these things) to be human shields for a few seconds. They also have the right to protect their students and their lives, particularly if government can't. In Israel most every teacher carries.

I know enough teachers who have carry permits, military or police training who would. If my county choses to, I will take the training, because I have the responsibility to protect my students.

I respect the opinion of anyone who disagrees; but please don't ever again say, "I'd do anything to protect my students."

"Anything" has arrived. Now its up to the County elected officials of the school board and SO to decide if it will become a last-line of defense after other systems failed like in Broward.

Here's a school in Texas thats going on 11 years arming teachers. Give it a watch: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...de-long-program-arming-teachers-1182498371863

In Israel most every teacher carries.

Comparing the USA to Israel is a stretch. But I get your point.
Still, for a variety of reasons, I would not want to have the majority of teachers I know carrying weapons while on the job. Fortunately, today it was a school resource officer who did his job.

Reactions: Silver King
I would not want the majority of teachers to carry either, hell most won't even break up a fight.

I stand corrected, I just checked and Israel does not arm most teachers, just some in high terrorist areas like the West Bank. But most already have compulsive military and weapons training. And when they did have a shooting, the government assigned armed guards to schools.

Last edited:
Israel also requires mandatory military service. Once you've carried a gun protecting your country, doing so in a school is easy.

Did you notice that Florida passed a law requiring armed guards in schools but didn't fund it. Great job, politicians! As always, let local taxes pay for everything. So poor districts lose out!

What a big difference today in Maryland, when someone with a gun was close by. Funny how there isn't 24-7 coverage on it...

We can keep relying on coaches and teachers (Disproportionate amount of coaches in these things) to be human shields for a few seconds. They also have the right to protect their students and their lives, particularly if government can't. In Israel most every teacher carries.

I know enough teachers who have carry permits, military or police training who would. If my county choses to, I will take the training, because I have the responsibility to protect my students.

I respect the opinion of anyone who disagrees; but please don't ever again say, "I'd do anything to protect my students."

"Anything" has arrived. Now its up to the County elected officials of the school board and SO to decide if it will become a last-line of defense after other systems failed like in Broward.

Here's a school in Texas thats going on 11 years arming teachers. Give it a watch: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...de-long-program-arming-teachers-1182498371863

I saw numerous articles on the Maryland situation as it was happening and the next day (not buying the argument that the media wasn't covering it), but notice who was the person who stopped them... An School Resource Officer who already is on the SWAT team.

Again, I have never heard a single teacher argue against SROs being in school or even highly trained individuals whose sole job is protection of students, but the argument for teachers (with LEO or Military exp), and non-classroom personnel is still wrong. Sorry, a teacher's job to educate. I wouldn't want the kindergarten teacher running out to the hallways to fire at the bad guy leaving her kindergarten students alone during that situation.

Be careful if you decide to take on the role of protector. Currently, FlDoE Liability insurance does not cover you for any negligent act during law enforcement duties. https://deutsch29.wordpress.com/201...y-floridas-school-liability-insurance-policy/

As Choctaw suggested, our state legislature wants you to arm yourself, not because they believe it is a good idea, but they are trying to do it on the cheap as always. The sheriffs told them how much it would actually cost in additional funding, the state balked. So the next shooting will not be on the local school board, but the state legislature that failed to provide enough money to ensure trained law enforcement at the schools.

If you could ask those two coaches and teacher who had to become human shields because the system failed them, I'd bet they'd have wished they had a gun to stop those bullets, rather than just flesh and bone.

And if that shooter had an AR-15, they would still be covering it Gatorman, That and the lack of coverage of the Central Michigan shootings should tell you everything you need to know about today's media. And if not, then this Chicago Tribune running daily tab - not hardly a mention in the nation media:

Shootings, so far this year Chicago
2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
454 333 240 346 668 640 454
March 18

If you could ask those two coaches and teacher who had to become human shields because the system failed them, I'd bet they'd have wished they had a gun to stop those bullets, rather than just flesh and bone.

And if that shooter had an AR-15, they would still be covering it Gatorman, That and the lack of coverage of the Central Michigan shootings should tell you everything you need to know about today's media. And if not, then this Chicago Tribune running daily tab - not hardly a mention in the nation media:

Shootings, so far this year Chicago
2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
454 333 240 346 668 640 454
March 18

If the shooter had an AR-15, the body count would have been higher than 0 to begin with, thus why they would be covering.

SK, a highly trained law enforcement officer (a good guy with a gun) was outside the freshman building as the shooting was going on. He did not go in. Good Guys with guns are not always the solution and if a highly trained official who gets paid to do it doesn't want to face off against the AR-15, I doubt too many people who aren't are going to. Again, I have no problem with armed security, metal detectors, "hardening" of schools. If the nation wants schools to look like prisons and airport security, so be it. I just expect them to pay for it too. Again, I would read the twitter rant as the man brings up some good points.

As for CMU, the young man shot his parents. Not sure how that feeds into anybody's pro-2A/anti-2A other than it is a shooting. Would an armed person been able to stop this other than having killed the young man already.

Actually, the body count is now one. The girl was shot in the head and considered brain dead. I read that the parents turned off her life support last night.

Thank God I have never had to make that decision!

What this country needs is more states like my homeland. Love it here in the FLA, but miss that brand of justice from back home.

1) if a highly trained official who gets paid to do it doesn't want to face off against the AR-15.

2) As for CMU, the young man shot his parents. Not sure how that feeds into anybody's pro-2A/anti-2A other than it is a shooting. Would an armed person been able to stop this other than having killed the young man already.

1) What's your point about the officer who froze have to do with what I'm talking about? He had a choice, he wasn't in a harm's way, face to face encounter as a last line of defense which is where the system, that failed so miserably, now has laid this issue. Those coaches had a choice too: they chose to protect their kids, the officer chose not to.

Training? None of these school shooters have been highly trained military people. They're amateurs with guns, or they would have done vastly, vastly more damage. But, if you read the law, teachers who carry, would be a "last line" of defense and be highly trained. Many would already have military or law enforcement training, and all would have concealed firearm training which includes lots of gun safety and firing. Again in the situation, not hypothetical "what ifs?"

2) How does it feed in to anybody's "Pro-2A/anti2A"? Obviously you didn't watch CNN for the first week after the shooting, repeatedly counting Parkland as the "18th school shooting" in America "already this year" they must have said it every 15 minutes. They sure counted those type shooting, even suicides as school shooting, but hardly gave them or the next two a look, because no AR-15.

That's the typical "Set the narrative and dismiss" approach. Its the same reason the Left doesn't wait for the blood to dry before screaming about guns - they don't want guns period.

There is also a racist tinge to it. Is it really deaths? Because when innocent black children in Chicago are gunned down by gangbangers (again untrained in guns and bad shots) are they somehow not as worthy of coverage as white kids in suburbia, or a town called one of the safest places to live the week before the shooting?

If it were the deaths rather than the gun grab, they would be equally covered. But we all know down deep it isn't about that.

The point about the Broward County SRO is that he had a chance to stop it and froze, no what ifs on that. If you don't think teachers will do the same, you are kidding yourself. Everybody thinks they are a superhero, everybody thinks they are a Captain Kirk until the time comes. Even in the 6.5 minutes that the shooting happened, you are asking a teacher to recognize what is happening, identify the shooter in a crowded hallway and shoot the bad guy accurately without shooting anybody else.

No, the shooters aren't highly trained, which is why guns like the AR-15 are so dangerous... you don't have to be accurate to be deadly.

The reason the left constantly brings it up, because once the news of the shooting fades away, the Right claims we don't need to do anything. At point, does the Right want to do anything about guns? Anything! Why do they go silent all the time and send their thoughts and prayers, but no real action? The right likes to talk about how criminals will get the guns anyway or find some other way, but that is the stupidest argument ever. If we truly believe that, then why have any laws at all. Why have any security at a stadium, bank, or airport, the terrorists will just find a way to kill us anyway? One guy with a shoe-bomb attempts to explode the plane and millions of us now take our shoes off at the airport. 17 in Parkland and 58 in Las Vegas and nothing changes. Many laws are designed to make it harder for bad people to do bad things and as a result, good people have their lives altered, we accept this in parts of our lives, except with guns.

Also tell me what happens when the teacher with the gun doesn't act? Do they lose their job? Do they get sued for failure to defend others? The district? Is carrying now a condition of employment, continuous hiring?

Just a reminder on what the NRA used to stand for...

Reactions: DarterBlue2
I appreciate your opinion but I have a right to own guns, and if you chose not to, more power to you. But let's leave it at that, please don't exert your opinion on what, if, and how, you think I'll do if I chose to protect myself. I've had to pull a weapon out twice as a Captain in the 80s and 90s, why? Because it was a very dangerous time to be on vessels at night and in foreign ports, hell for most big US Cities docks for that matter. And, it was my job to protect those on my vessel.

I wish I could hug them and make the threat go away, but that doesn't work.

By the way should we blame AAA for all the drunk driving deaths? The AMA for more people dying from overdoses in 2016 than died in the Vietnam War, or Verizon or Sprint for the 11 kids a month who die being distracted on cell phones?

By the way should we blame AAA for all the drunk driving deaths? The AMA for more people dying from overdoses in 2016 than died in the Vietnam War, or Verizon or Sprint for the 11 kids a month who die being distracted on cell phones?

Does the AAA advocate for there never to be ignition interlocks in cars?
Does the AAA stop police from being able to monitor those who are unsafe (safety check points)?
Does the AAA suggest that any limits on my ability to drive drunk are an infringement of my personal liberties?
Does the AMA consistently advocate more opioid drugs as the solution to pain problems rather than comprehensive lifestyles changes and comprehensive health care?
Do Sprint/Verizon advocate against distracted driving laws and the enforcement of those laws?

If the answer is yes to those questions, then yes, hold them accountable as being the people who are advocating policies that are causing societal problems. If the answer is no, then don't. My stance on the NRA is that they advocate policies that make guns more accessible to the masses, unfortunately as those guns become accessible to the masses as a whole, it makes it more accessible to those who will do bad things with them.

I don't want to ban your guns, but I want to make it harder for law-abiding people to get them in the first place. My belief is that the harder we make it for even law-abiding people to get guns, the harder it will be non-law abiding people to get them.

Last edited:

As the article suggests, he wasn't suspended for not going to the walkout, he was suspended because he didn't go to the designated place for those who did not want to go to the walkout were supposed to go. This is the same as in school pep rally. School says you have two options 1) Pep Rally or Library, you choose to sit in a classroom by yourself.

If I was the principal, would I have suspended him. No, I would have asked another student and his current teacher to sit with him during the "walkout". I don't know the size of the school, I don't know how many people would have been freely available for such as task, but I am sure they could have found someone.

Tell you what GM, I'm going to conceded this argument to you; OK its the gun and the NRA.

Maybe the kids were right yesterday and because of the march we've seen the last school shooting. After all, that was a pretty big anti-gun message that resonated across the country. The media is all in, new spokespeople are in place, Fl upped the age to 21, they're working on better background checks, the President's on board banning bump-stocks, my district won't allow teachers to carry. So its probably all over. Glad we got it settled.

I agreed with everything you said except the last paragraph which I believe is a false equivalence.

Then your head may explode with this one DB2 (One' man's false equivalence is another man's flawed logic) :

My belief is that the harder we make it for even law-abiding people to get guns, the harder it will be non-law abiding people to get them.

Would you also suggest to a woman that restricting legal abortions, might make them practice safe sex and not use them so much as a method of contraception?

Would you also suggest to a woman that restricting legal abortions, might make them practice safe sex and not use them so much as a method of contraception?

Isn't that the whole argument that many social conservatives have about abortion (beyond the morality of abortion). That abortion should not be used a method of contraception that abstinence and birth control are better options than abortion (cheaper as well). That abortion is about a lack of personal responsibility and planning on the front end of the discussion. We can get into the debate over whether social conservatives want universal access to birth control, but I think that is a different discussion. In my own personal denseness I am trying to understand your point, but I sadly don't as this one has flown over my head. Please explain as I am willing to listen.

On a note, opinions about access to abortions has been one of the few political issues that has barely budged in nearly 50 years when compared to many other cultural conflicts. Not sure what that says about America, but when opinion about same sex marriage and marijuana legalization are flip flopping from 25 years ago, public opinion on abortion makes small changes.

Not my intent as a debate; just wanted to use it as an illustration and see how you thought that same logic would play with a woman and how she'd likely react to a reduction in her legal rights, because someone doesn't personally agree with them. How about viewing it another way: Its legal to drive 70 MPH on sections of Florida interstates (I-75 / I-95), should the state hwy patrol pull people over and cite them for unsafe driving because speed is the cause of many fatal accidents, in the hope there will be less deaths caused by speeding? To me that looks like what you're suggesting about making it tougher for law abiding, responsible people to own firearms.

Anti-gun people look at gun owners in a very skewed way. There are like 800 million guns in America and look at number of the deaths in comparison; its why they show stats of hammers, fists, cars, etc killing more than guns. And that's not taking into consideration the law, law breakers, or suicides. You go from a legal gun owner (if its legal) to an instant criminal, when you use one to commit a crime.

But CRAZY is CRAZY. And I want my gun for protection if CRAZY visits me. You can chose to talk CRAZY down, reason with him, hell I might even try that as long as I have that last line of defense and a full clip of .45 ammo as a back-up plan.

While I'm off an running buddy, here's something else. It's funny, I go to Maine and when I say I'm from the south, New Englanders will sometimes bring up racism - yet I've been going to Rockland for 30 years now and can count the black people I've seen up there, on less than the fingers I have in my hand. I was getting my oil changed last summer before jumping in the car and driving home. I did a double take, saw the first black employee I've sever seen (Outside my schooner) working. I wanted to go give him a damn hug and tell him how rare it was, but couldn't get back in the pit to get to him.

Why do I bring this up. Progressive elites want tolerance for their issues, and the hell with anyone else's. I love hearing them preach about racism, while most live in gated communities and never had a brother to their home. It's why they can totally ignore the gun violence in Chicago and only step out when death comes to suburbia and it's white kids dying.

Again Logic; Its horrible that an AR-15 can kill 17 kids in a school in Florida in February. But, apparently no one gets too upset during the same month when a variety of firearms kill 37 in Chicago, the youngest 2, and ten or so other in their teens. If its truly a loss of life issue, then at least be consistent with the outrage. Other wise it looks like what it is.

Thank you for explanation, I understand what you mean..

Abortion is not something that I want to happen, (just like I don't want people to feel they need a gun), but I have no problem with access to abortions (just like I have no problem with access to specific types of guns).
With abortions regulations:
  • Abortion clinics are required to meet the same standards as ambulatory surgical centers.
  • Doctors are required to have admitting privileges
  • Mandatory ultrasounds
  • Waiting periods
  • Required visits to anti-abortion clinics
  • Fetal Heartbeat bills
  • Required information about other options than abortion
  • Required scripts from the doctors that require women to know about the pain that fetus will feel
Now, do I personally like all these laws (and these laws are not universal across all states), but could you imagine if your gun salesman would have to read a script about the potential pain that a person shot with your gun. You would be required to know other options other than a gun would be available (nunchucks, knifes, bare fists, bow and arrow?). Required to visit a shopping center that shows you how cool nunchucks could be instead of a pistol.

As for speeding, I have driven I-75/95/10/4 many times (I-75 Ocala to Gainesville is the scariest no rules DeathRace 2000 racing in Florida). I have made it through, but damn do I wish the police would do more in that area (I should note, I drive all over the state and never am more scared than that 30 miles stretch, including 8 lanes in Miami during drive by season). Do I want police pulling over everyone over 70 mphs, no, but can we at least go after the guys who are rocketing past me at 100 mph. I feel like that is what I want, I want to go after the guys who are going 100 mph, I don't want to put speed bumps in. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like we are going after the guys who are going 100 mph, because we are afraid we might disrupt the day of the guy going 70.

It's why they can totally ignore the gun violence in Chicago and only step out when death comes to suburbia and it's white kids dying.

Again Logic; Its horrible that an AR-15 can kill 17 kids in a school in Florida in February. But, apparently no one gets too upset during the same month when a variety of firearms kill 37 in Chicago, the youngest 2, and ten or so other in their teens. If its truly a loss of life issue, then at least be consistent with the outrage. Other wise it looks like what it is.

I agree, I have no stomach for it, unfortunately for Chicago (and many inner cities) it has become the a horrifying norm. Anytime something shocking happens to white middle-class America, it shocks our system. State Representative Carlos Smith (Orlando) brought a similar idea of why did the Florida state legislature do nothing about gun control after the Pulse Nightclub shooting, but all of a sudden white middle class high school is attacked, we need to do something (even if the rules will have very little impact). It has something to do with policy makers not understanding issues until they become personal.

2012 or so, there were states that were trying to create really tough immigration enforcement laws that would especially go after the employer (usually farms). Florida was all set to pass their own version until a senior State Senator from the Lakeland area (name escapes me) talked about his citrus grove and the positive impact that migrant workers have in Florida. He personalized the problem, so he could not allow the bill to go through. Unfortunately, we don't live many people's problems and thus as a whole lack empathy and understanding (not you, Americans as a whole).

1) What's your point about the officer who froze have to do with what I'm talking about? He had a choice, he wasn't in a harm's way, face to face encounter as a last line of defense which is where the system, that failed so miserably, now has laid this issue. Those coaches had a choice too: they chose to protect their kids, the officer chose not to.

Training? None of these school shooters have been highly trained military people. They're amateurs with guns, or they would have done vastly, vastly more damage. But, if you read the law, teachers who carry, would be a "last line" of defense and be highly trained. Many would already have military or law enforcement training, and all would have concealed firearm training which includes lots of gun safety and firing. Again in the situation, not hypothetical "what ifs?"

2) How does it feed in to anybody's "Pro-2A/anti2A"? Obviously you didn't watch CNN for the first week after the shooting, repeatedly counting Parkland as the "18th school shooting" in America "already this year" they must have said it every 15 minutes. They sure counted those type shooting, even suicides as school shooting, but hardly gave them or the next two a look, because no AR-15.

That's the typical "Set the narrative and dismiss" approach. Its the same reason the Left doesn't wait for the blood to dry before screaming about guns - they don't want guns period.

There is also a racist tinge to it. Is it really deaths? Because when innocent black children in Chicago are gunned down by gangbangers (again untrained in guns and bad shots) are they somehow not as worthy of coverage as white kids in suburbia, or a town called one of the safest places to live the week before the shooting?

If it were the deaths rather than the gun grab, they would be equally covered. But we all know down deep it isn't about that.

Damn you said a lot there Silver. My only counterpoint to any of it was this

and all would have concealed firearm training which includes lots of gun safety and firing.

I have gone through the concealed firearm training and that is nothing more than a 4 hour course and an hour at the gun range.... It is not enough or the type of training that would make me feel secure with teachers carrying guns near my children. I'd be cool with a guy like you carrying a gun... level head makes good decisions a boat cappy so probably pretty good under intense pressure or life and death situations..

But for every you there are about 10 teachers that lose their shit on a daily basis because the kids won't stop talking.

How many of the above teachers do you think would have fired off on the students.... just sayin

Oh jeez I thought we were done...Peezy no it isn't enough but its a start - the law requirers extensive training in addition to having CC. Its working in Texas, 11 years and no teacher has drawn down on a snotty nosed little bugger so far.

And no, most teachers won't break up a fight, nor do they want the responsibility of protecting anyone else but themselves. Your think its just coincidence that the type of people who actually try to do something facing the shooter, have been coaches? Far too high an occupational hazard per capita. Many of the teachers killed in these events were trying to run or hide like most everyone else. Its the coaches in several of these shootings who were trying to go after the shooter. There's another one who has a foundation named after him from a previous shooting.

I'm stuck with whatever I can grab in my hands in my county, its a no - go. I hope to God it never happens, or I'm close enough to something I can get a lucky shot with, to make a difference for those kids depending on me.

Hey Peezy, catch yesterday's shooting? Might not have since it wasn't an AR-15, and because it happened in a state, unlike Florida, that already has some of the toughest gun laws in the country.

This one isn't close to the narrative: Shooter was a female, vegan, animal rights advocate who protested with Peta. She is quoted as saying animal rights were equal to human rights - she couldn't have fit the California mold any better.

But she goes off because she thinks Youtube is censoring her posts. So, she lied about animals and people having equal rights after gunning down three innocent victims, of whom she had no idea who they were.

How you going to stop random crazy like this if you happen to be in Crazyville the day someone starts listening to voices in their head?

You think those people in Silicon Valley wearing Birkenstocks thought it would ever happen to them?

Of course I saw it, I am not just someone who jumps on the hot topics. She blew her own brains out though and probably was not even a good shot with a gun. She still was able to hit 3 then kill herself... Unless you have the 6th sense of seeing the future no one was stopping her from getting off those 1st few shots before blowing her own brains out.

Also this happens to not have anything to do with teachers holding guns IMO. I'm definitely not against guns. I own 4 of them one in which being an AR-15 and regularly go to the range most of the time with my brother who is a deputy. I have a CWL and (not more than before) carry most times. So against guns I am not, but against teachers holding guns... That is a different story... I need these teachers to focus on teaching which it seems we are getting worse at ever decade or so. I have a multitude of reasons why I am against it at least here in Florida. I am sure it would work in an open carry society like Texas though... Especially those back country bible belt type towns where everyone knows everyone... Much different scenario than say arming the teachers at Miami Northwester... North Fort Meyers, Gibbs, Middleton, Jones, etc etc etc..

It might work down there in Charlotte... I do not think it would work in all areas PInellas Hillsborough, Orange, Duval, Dade, Broward, Palm Beach type areas.... Don't think its a good idea as a whole. County by County it could work for some though.

So it's the line of work? You get to protect yourself and others don't because of coulda shoulda, woulda's? You can apply that every profession.

This sure sounds like another of those things I'm asked to be tolerant of, from the side that isn't tolerant of anything but what they demand. I'm OK with different bathrooms for whatever you identify with - different strokes for different folks, I'm ok with all sorts of crazy stuff, but please don't tell me I'm not allowed to protect myself because you don't think I can do it to your liking. I would't think of telling you, you couldn't.

You've seen me post on here, that I wish people all the best in asking someone with a gun about to shoot you if they'd consider simply hugging it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT