ADVERTISEMENT

Did Sumner really beat Brandon 75-0?

have failed to score a point in every single game they have played in except for one game which was against Leto. The game against Leto they lost 14-12, but to give the Leto team some proper perspective.........Leto has been shut out twice this season, and the 14 points they scored on Brandon is more points then they scored in all of their remaining games that they have played combined! So I would think its fair to say they aren't at least Brandon bad, but still gosh awful!

Sumner High School serves grades 6 and 9-11 beginning in the 2020–21 school year. In the 2021–22 school year, the school will support grades 7 and 9–12. In the 2022–23 school year, the school will support grades 8–12. Beginning in the 2023–24 school year, Sumner High School will exclusively be a secondary school (grades 9–12). This is a part of the school's Academy 2027 program, to relieve overcrowding in middle schools in the area before a new one is built.

So lets think about this for a second..............Brand new school jumps right into a varsity schedule its very 1st year of existence without a 12th grade class and sports a 7-1 record, now in its 2nd year of existence currently has a 7-2 record and looks to probably win the district title. The roster in as far as stats are concerned is dominated by juniors, Sophs, and freshmen, offensively and defensively.......(there is hardly any senior representation from a stat standpoint)?

The head coach didn't come to Sumner with a resume that screamed ELITE, he was a long time assistant at Hillsborough HS, and before that was the head coach at Middleton HS where his 3 year record was 4-26.

Now I'm just looking at this from a standpoint of a 2nd year school perspective, but a brand new school doesn't typically find its self just naturally blessed with a over abundance of football talent, particularly one without any senior leadership.......unless........well, there was possibly some sort of direct/ in-direct effort to assemble that talent at that new school......compounded by a head coach with a resume that was clearly lack luster, and was more just a guy that failed terribly at his only try at being a head coach and had shown no motivation since then, to be anything but a assistant for the last 10+ years......call me a bit suspicious of the current football situation at Sumner High School.

Sumner High School serves grades 6 and 9-11 beginning in the 2020–21 school year. In the 2021–22 school year, the school will support grades 7 and 9–12. In the 2022–23 school year, the school will support grades 8–12. Beginning in the 2023–24 school year, Sumner High School will exclusively be a secondary school (grades 9–12). This is a part of the school's Academy 2027 program, to relieve overcrowding in middle schools in the area before a new one is built.

So lets think about this for a second..............Brand new school jumps right into a varsity schedule its very 1st year of existence without a 12th grade class and sports a 7-1 record, now in its 2nd year of existence currently has a 7-2 record and looks to probably win the district title. The roster in as far as stats are concerned is dominated by juniors, Sophs, and freshmen, offensively and defensively.......(there is hardly any senior representation from a stat standpoint)?

The head coach didn't come to Sumner with a resume that screamed ELITE, he was a long time assistant at Hillsborough HS, and before that was the head coach at Middleton HS where his 3 year record was 4-26.

Now I'm just looking at this from a standpoint of a 2nd year school perspective, but a brand new school doesn't typically find its self just naturally blessed with a over abundance of football talent, particularly one without any senior leadership.......unless........well, there was possibly some sort of direct/ in-direct effort to assemble that talent at that new school......compounded by a head coach with a resume that was clearly lack luster, and was more just a guy that failed terribly at his only try at being a head coach and had shown no motivation since then, to be anything but a assistant for the last 10+ years......call me a bit suspicious of the current football situation at Sumner High School.
So to put some perspective in this Sumner talent is a direct result of Gentrification in Central Tampa downtown Channelside Ybor...

Many of the the kids who go there are from families who lived in what you would've called "the hood" of Tampa and after their neighborhoods were bought by developers they were giving money and incentives to buy new built homes in that particular area of riverview.

Also Sumner is smack in the middle of Apollo Beach and Brandon area so it's pulling from "Spoto, riverview, East Bay, Lennard, and even potentially Brandon and Bloomingdale".

Now as for the coach... Yeah I don't know maybe he grew as a coach in those 10 years is the best I can come up with lol. I will say I've heard things about Zo from folks who coached with him and I wouldn't have guessed this success at his 2nd stint either. (Also note no one really wins at Middleton)

Reactions: Silver King
So to put some perspective in this Sumner talent is a direct result of Gentrification in Central Tampa downtown Channelside Ybor...

Many of the the kids who go there are from families who lived in what you would've called "the hood" of Tampa and after their neighborhoods were bought by developers they were giving money and incentives to buy new built homes in that particular area of riverview.

Also Sumner is smack in the middle of Apollo Beach and Brandon area so it's pulling from "Spoto, riverview, East Bay, Lennard, and even potentially Brandon and Bloomingdale".

Now as for the coach... Yeah I don't know maybe he grew as a coach in those 10 years is the best I can come up with lol. I will say I've heard things about Zo from folks who coached with him and I wouldn't have guessed this success at his 2nd stint either. (Also note no one really wins at Middleton)
True enough, but I believe you may be looking at this from a more traditional standpoint whereby kids are potentially enticed to leave one high school, to go to another. Remember I pointed out that this roster is dominated by 9th, 10th and 11th graders, while there are a few players that previously played at other high schools when I check into that.....(like the QB who previously played at Tampa Carrollwood Day), most were still in middle school and probably still playing youth football, before coming to Sumner. So that led me to wonder about the Sumner football staff prior involvement with youth league programs before coming to Sumner? Remember too, Sumner jumped right into a varsity schedule its 1st year, where as most 1st year program's play a JV schedule its 1st year of playing organized football.......think maybe the staff already had a pretty good idea what kind of talent it had comin in?

I wouldn't have even given this any thought, had you not mentioned it was a 2nd year program. That is what prompted me look into the makings of the program .......

Last edited:
True enough, but I believe you may be looking at this from a more traditional standpoint whereby kids are potentially enticed to leave one high school, to go to another. Remember I pointed out that this roster is dominated by 9th, 10th and 11th graders, while there are a few players that previously played at other high schools when I check into that.....(like the QB who previously played at Tampa Carrollwood Day), most were still in middle school and probably still playing youth football, before coming to Sumner. So that led me to wonder about the Sumner football staff prior involvement with youth league programs before coming to Sumner? Remember too, Sumner jumped right into a varsity schedule its 1st year, where as most 1st year program's play a JV schedule its 1st year of playing organized football.......think maybe the staff already had a pretty good idea what kind of talent it had comin in?

I wouldn't have even given this any thought, had you not mentioned it was a 2nd year program. That is what prompted me look into the makings of the program .......
I think theirs some credence to your statement about prior involvement with youth leagues....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT