ADVERTISEMENT

Desoto Guys OT

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Hey, as you're probably aware, your county commissioners are getting ready to vote on changing zoning from Agriculture to Mining on 18,000 acres of land Mosaic owns, so they can expand their Phosphate Mining operations. They've been heading this way buying up land as far back as the 1960s, they helped finance the Rodeo Arena, and hell even donated to the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary, so it looks like a done deal.

Any thoughts?

Hey, as you're probably aware, your county commissioners are getting ready to vote on changing zoning from Agriculture to Mining on 18,000 acres of land Mosaic owns, so they can expand their Phosphate Mining operations. They've been heading this way buying up land as far back as the 1960s, they helped finance the Rodeo Arena, and hell even donated to the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary, so it looks like a done deal.

Any thoughts?

Done deal! And the county will get chump change in return.

Reactions: Silver King
Yep Hardee didn’t get much of nothing so I wouldn’t trust those jokers one bit… Yea they gave towards a new track for the stadium but they should have helped with building a new Civic Center because the one we have is worthless… It’s so bad Hardee has to hold their graduation in the rodeo area!!!! And to think many Hardee folks work as directors and managers for this company!!! I use to work for a phosphate company back in the late 80s and can tell you Just with one train car full of fertilizer they are making a huge huge profit… In return they are tearing up our lands and drying up wells!!!!

Next is Desoto and I hope many of those farmers don’t give in to them and don’t sell out your county because in the long run they will only leave a mess…

Done deal. We sold out cheap: a batting cage and a sponsorship for a rodeo arena. My question is why the #$%^ di we not get a pool at the high school from them? I could use the work.

Reactions: Silver King
Done deal. We sold out cheap: a batting cage and a sponsorship for a rodeo arena. My question is why the #$%^ di we not get a pool at the high school from them? I could use the work.

Yeah, y'all need an IDA board to milk them for more money and dole it out on pie in the sky projects.

Desoto could have gotten a better stadium if they shook the right hands… I’m still stunned why Hardee didn’t get more $$$ to have a new field installed at the current stadium… It would be nice to watch them play on turf or whatever Immokalee uses… I did forget to mention Hardee was able to build a new field at the new junior high for the little league because the great minds that run our school system came up with some policy stating little leagues can no longer use the PUBLIC stadium to hold events… I do know the field was built and at the time they did not have any seating installed… I don’t know what happened with that… As for the IDA, that is something very worthless in this county… It was created to help bring businesses but it hasn’t done much except bring a company that scammed Hardee and Hillsbourgh Counties then go out of business… Myself I’m thinking of selling out and moving to Tennessee or Lakeland I just have decided which place I want to move to… We have too many ppl trying to run this county into the ground and to be honest wish a certain person was still alive because he held this community together…

DeSoto, Avon Park, Hardee area.... Who got the Avon Park job and what was the reason the HC stepped dkwn?

DeSoto, Avon Park, Hardee area.... Who got the Avon Park job and what was the reason the HC stepped dkwn?

According to the Highlands newspaper coach Jackson left because his wife had a job offer in Lake City. The new Avon Park coach is Jerry Hudnell, who was the Lake Placid head coach.

ANY YOU CATS NOTICE WE WON - DESOTO COUNTY COMMISSION Voted against the agriculture to mining zoning change 4-1.

This was a 3-run down, bottom of the 9th, last pitch grand-slam.

A bunch of us Captains from Charlotte testified, as did some other concerned citizens in 11 hours of testimony over two days. And, by God we pulled out an historic victory. It buys the river a little more time and shows the groundswell of Floridians being sick of what's going on with our water supply and environment.

Realize this was just one battle, but it was sweet and unexpected, made my jaded old ass have some faith in people and even a bit in the political process again.

Last edited:
ANY YOU CATS NOTICE WE WON - DESOTO COUNTY COMMISSION Voted against the agriculture to mining zoning change 4-1.

This was a 3-run down, bottom of the 9th, last pitch grand-slam.

A bunch of is Captains from Charlotte testified, as did some other concerned citizens in 11 hours of testimony over two days. And, by God we pulled out an historic victory. It buys the river a little more time and shows the groundswell of Floridians being sick of what's going on with our water supply and environment.

Realize this was just one battle, but it was sweet and unexpected, made my jaded old ass have some faith in people and even a bit in the political process again.

Kickback wasn't big enough.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Can the state override any county? If so I wouldn’t party just yet… To be honest once these phosphate corps leave maybe this county will finally grow… They have stopped all kinds of housing projects west of Hardee because they purchased the lands… Last unlike some of Our commissioners who bought tracks of land then made a huge profit by selling it out to Mosaic I’m hoping Desoto isn’t like this…

Mosaics best bet is to move East of Avon Park and Sebring… There is nothing out there but they can’t use the huge draglines because the land in Highlands County is beach sand so they would have to dredge like they use to in Manatee county… If they would dredge here I may change my feelings about them… It’s safer, more eco friendly and it makes sense… Maybe they should watch Gold Rush…

Ppl are finally stepping up to the folks they voted in and theses commissioners here are going to have a rude awakening come elections this year… In the past ppl voted for them because of friends of friends but now ppl are saying they are sick of casting their votes like that while these commissioners are running amok and doing what they want to…

Last edited:
Yeah, there were several Hardee residents who testified, just awful. One was a little 10 year old girl. They spoke of what mining has done to Hardee, how many people that have come down with cancer and kidney disease in certain neighborhoods (they feel from drinking the water) it was awful. An older Hardee guy really got after how corrupt he said the Hardee commisisoners were - he did it under oath and on the record in testimony. Like the guy said, he's been accusing them for ten years, not a single one has denied it, or taken him to court for libel.

People have no clue what's going on, because its isn't near them, they think it can't reach them. Mosaic was fined $2 Billion (That's right billion) for millions of gallons of radioactive water draining into the aquifer from a Gyspun Stack after that sink hole in 2015. What's the government going to do tell people their water supply is shot? Instead the EPA took $2Billion bribe... and we wonder why we have Whale Sharks are washing ashore. Whats out there now is more than Red Tide, killing Dolphin, sea turtles, manatee, and huge Goliath Grouper like never before.

Do yourself a favor and read this OP- Ed about Manatee County from last January; the Manatee Commission decided to pass it anyway the day after we stopped Mosaic in Desoto. The guy who wrote this, testified right before me.

https://www.bradenton.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article126378334.html

Pretty sure this site is called Florida Varsity and preferred topics normally discuss football....

And your point? If it’s not talked about many ppl will be affected by what is going on. Myself I’ve had enough of “they give us jobs” priority over people’s well being.

SK hopefully after the Caresync scam many ppl will get the change that is needed but it’s only up to the voters.

Well if you think it about it, it kind of is related to football - Mandatory Water Breaks.

FHSAA 39.5 Hydration and Rest. The following procedures related to hydration and rest periods during a practice or contest (where applicable): For every 30 consecutive minutes of a practice, there must be at least a minimum 5 minute rest and hydration break. During every practice and contest, there must be unrestricted access to water at all times. A student-athlete shall never be denied access to water if he/she requests.

When a company dumps 215 million gallons of radioactive waste straight into the Florida aquaifer, its denying clean water access for high school football players around the whole region.

My point is let’s debate about coaching philosophies, rivalries, play schemes, so-called recruiting, new HCs, mascots, food at the concession stands, fight songs from the band, etc....

Leave local government crap for another forum. Not saying I agree or disagree just don’t care to see it on a HC Football Forum.

Reactions: Bullcat01
Sorry it bothers you, I'll back off. My last:

I hope you'll consider going over to the Mosaic Rodeo Arena at 5pm to muster up some love for Commissioner Elton Langford - freakin God honest cowboy, in the mold of John Wayne. Desoto is lucky to have a man like him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT