ADVERTISEMENT

Cocoa 22 Jones 20

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
Ventured to Orlando to see one of this weekend’s marquee matchups with frequent state finalist Cocoa @ Jones. A lot of history at Jones. It was established in 1886.

It was a tale of 2 half’s. Cocoa dominated the first half taking a 19-7 lead into halftime. Both teams started sophomores QB’s. Cocoas’s Brady Hart is approximately 6’4” with a good arm. He moves well. If he adds muscle and progresses there is no reason he won’t be one the top QB’s in the state before he finishes his career.

Cocoa came out flat after halftime. Jones took advantage of it but failed on a 2 punt conversion that would have tied the score at 22 each. Cocoa stopped Jones on downs with just under 2 minutes to get the W..

It was a muggy night with plenty of players cramping. A lot of first game mistakes but both teams played well. Would not be surprised at all to see Cocoa get back to the state final. Jones looks to do some damage in the playoffs. I know, it was the first game but I saw enough to believe this.

Reactions: gatorman001
What stood out to you from Cocoa, other than the QB?
They are a complete team, placekicker included. Solid lines on both sides of the ball. DL has two players that look to be above average, DT senior Loren Ward #44 and DE junior Javion Hilson #9. Really did not spot any weaknesses on defense. Only criticism would be they played uninspired in the 2nd half that could have been caused by fatigue but they stood up when they had to.

On offense the skill positions were good. The OL didn’t always get good push on run plays but played well late in the third quarter and most of the 4th. Thought the play calling got a little predictable resulting in the Jones DB jumping the route that resulted in Jones’s TD in the first half. Quick slants worked well but deep pass game wasn’t very successful.

Jones was a very good test for Cocoa, no surprise there. Jones should have a very good season but Cocoa totally outclassed them in the first half. They were very impressive. It was obvious to me after halftime that they were a little spent.

Looking into the sun during the first half certainly limited our vision🫤.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyway2021
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT