ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A, going into Week 4

SPCjessica2004

Sep 24, 2007
It’s been awhile since I looked at Class 3A with a critical eye and more importantly, it’s been awhile since I’ve updated my personal thoughts. So, here’s my current top 5.

1) Jacksonville Trinity Christian

JaxTCA is at the top of Class 3A. I saw them against Ocala Trinity in week 1 and the team is as impressive as they’ve been the past few years. The defense, while not as experienced still hits hard and the offense is really something to behold. Currently, there is nobody playing football in 3A better than JaxTCA.

2) Clearwater Central Catholic

CCC was expected to be down this year before hitting it big in 2016 with a huge Senior Class. CCC purposely opened the season with 4 road games(Including KO Classic) to test themselves early and learn the ropes of football. CCC has knocked off a very good Berkeley Prep team and shutout the Class 2A runner-ups. Last week against DeSoto the Marauders traveled and withstood a 2 hour delay to win 27-7. CCC is averaging 31 points and only giving up 10. CCC, which is the last Tampa Bay area team to host a game- will now see the fruits of their early season travel schedule as of the remaining 7 games, 6 will be played in Clearwater. The only remaining game outside of Clearwater is an October 23rd date against Ft. Pierce John Carroll.

3) Lakeland Christian

LCS, similar to CCC is another team that was supposed to be down a bit this year; however, finds themselves playing at a high level under head coach Wayne Peace. Auburndale QB transfer Tyler Wilkerson has really done a great job. LCS is legit team in the North and has the tools to compete with the big-boys. LCS finds themselves in a brutal district with Berkeley Prep and Tampa Catholic, but so far the Vikings have passed every test thus far.

4) American Heritage DelRay

It’s most likely unfair that the Stallions find themselves 4th in numerous polls as I don’t think any team in 3A would beat Bergen Catholic at Bergen; however, I put AHD at 4 due to the sideline antics they showed in that loss. AHD is still my pick to come out of the south, but for now- they’ll have to earn their way back to the top. I attended the AHD vs Glades Central game and loved Devin Singletary’s 4 TD’s and 240 yards rushing; however, I’m very shaky on the rest of the team. The athletes are there and the defense is stout, but there’s some really good teams in South 3A this year. I will be back at AHD when Oxbridge comes to town.

5) Oxbridge Academy

While everyone else jumped on Oxbridge when they shutout Gulliver Prep, I didn’t think to high of Gulliver Prep (Still don’t honestly)- but I also didn’t jump when they lost to Carol City as I knew Carol City was pretty good. Oxbridge finds themselves at #5 in most 3A polls and I think that’s about right. This is a very good team lead by one of the top backs in the state, a solid coaching staff and a talented roster.

I’m also watching..

Tampa Berkeley Prep. The Bucs lost to CCC in week 1, but since then has torn through their schedule. Very impressive win over defending 2A State Champion in week 2 (12-0) and a good road win against Cardinal Mooney. Berkeley is sitting pretty right now.

Tampa Catholic
. The Crusaders are 2-0 right now with a bye week before their big game against CCC in two weeks. The Crusaders feature a plethora of talented athletes, including arguably the #1 WR in all of America Nate Craig-Myers. TC has knocked off Class 8A Sarasota Riverview and Lakewood Ranch.

Westminster Christian. The Warriors only loss this year was to a very good Sebring team, and even that has an asterisk next to it as the game was called in the 3rd quarter as the Warriors had dug themselves out of a 21-0 deficit.

Chaminade-Madonna
. The Lions are quietly 2-0 and after knocking off an always-tough Cardinal Gibbons team 28-21 need to be taken seriously in the South of 3A. American Heritage and Oxbridge get all the paper, but seriously Region 4 of Class 3A has a lot of teams performing well.

Melbourne Central Catholic- Hustlers find themselves at 3-0 which isn’t surprising; however, is welcome after MCC graduated a hefty senior class.

Orlando First Academy- Only loss was to a very good Bishop Moore team.

3A games I’m paying attention to this week:

JaxTCA plays West Orange. According to MaxPreps West Orange is ranked #7 and JaxTCA is ranked #11 in the state. This game should be an excellent test for JaxTCA as West Orange will be coming into the game coming off a very impressive win over Dr. Phillips. JaxTCA knocked off #1 in 2A (and huge rival) University Christian 35-20 last week.

CCC plays Groveland South Lake. Despite being 0-2, South Lake presents a stiff test for CCC as the Eagles outman the Marauders 2-1 in depth. South Lake has also played a very competitive schedule against Leesburg and Lake Mineola. This game features the old axiom of football, Power vs Speed. South Lake has quite a few guys on their Offensive and Defensive line that are close to 300 lb’s, while the Marauders have speedsters to burn in the open field.

Jessica,

We at OTC rightly should be left out of any predictions. 5 straight losses including 2 preseason games. However, do you think there's a possibility that Wakulla may be overlooking us this Friday? OTC is not going to be a doormat much longer before everything will come together. Or, am I just wishing it to b?

I have no doubt that OTC will get better, and despite 0-3, OTC should still make the playoffs; however, let's be realistic here... your upcoming schedule looks like this...

Wakulla whose always a powerhouse, tripped up against a really, really good out-of-state team.

South Sumpter another powerhouse who hasn't lost a regular season game in a few years. They're loaded.

Orlando First Academy which is a district game. Runs the Wing-T to a T, defense is shaky; however, they score a lot of points. OTC can win this game if the defense plays sound disciplined football.

Clearwater Central Catholic... another powerhouse that's won 3 consecutive regional championships and this years team, despite being Sophomore and Junior heavy might be the best team of the past 3 years. QB has exceeded expectations and team was bolstered by a pair of D-1 linebackers.

Tallahasse Godby, another powerhouse that is no stranger to big games and big-time athletes.

So, no- I don't think OTC is a doormat...but I can't find many wins on the schedule this year. All of the teams I listed are traditionally strong teams and have made deep playoff runs in the past few seasons.

I have no doubt that OTC will get better, and despite 0-3, OTC should still make the playoffs; however, let's be realistic here... your upcoming schedule looks like this...

Wakulla whose always a powerhouse, tripped up against a really, really good out-of-state team.

South Sumpter another powerhouse who hasn't lost a regular season game in a few years. They're loaded.

Orlando First Academy which is a district game. Runs the Wing-T to a T, defense is shaky; however, they score a lot of points. OTC can win this game if the defense plays sound disciplined football.

Clearwater Central Catholic... another powerhouse that's won 3 consecutive regional championships and this years team, despite being Sophomore and Junior heavy might be the best team of the past 3 years. QB has exceeded expectations and team was bolstered by a pair of D-1 linebackers.

Tallahasse Godby, another powerhouse that is no stranger to big games and big-time athletes.

So, no- I don't think OTC is a doormat...but I can't find many wins on the schedule this year. All of the teams I listed are traditionally strong teams and have made deep playoff runs in the past few seasons.

Jess - thanks for the 3A insight after 3 weeks of the season. I guess I'm just not sold on CCC yet in the number 2 spot. Their schedule, while loaded up front with road games, really doesn't feature any powerhouses. Light schedules can come back and haunt you in the end. I just don't think playing a Berkeley Prep will prepare them for a state playoff road that includes either AHD, Oxbridge or Westminster. My feeling is that Tampa Catholic may have a chance to beat CCC when they meet up in a few weeks in Clearwater. However, that's a rivalry game and anything could happen.
TC Jax plays a monster this Friday in 8A West Orange and may have a tough time with the sheer depth of the #7 team in the state. I don't have a great feeling about that one. Trinity is a little banged up after a tough game with University Christian (who will will the state title in 2A).

Proset: I think OTC will be fine, but it may take a year of getting beat around pretty good. OTC has played an incredibly tough schedule to this point and it isn't getting any easier my friend with Godby, South Sumter and Wakulla looming. This may be that year for OTC that every program goes through from time to time to get to another level under new leadership. All those beatdowns that OTC laid on these teams in the past probably have your opponents circling the OTC game on the schedule this year. They will be back though - too good of a program not to get back quickly.

TCman,

I respect your opinion. Here's my thought process, CCC might be ranked to high- but I'm not sold on Oxbridge..yet. And I'm not going to hand them a top 3 ranking because people are scared of them. To many people keep preaching on their win over Gulliver because they shut them out..but Gulliver was just shut out again last week.

I'll take CCC's win over Berkeley Prep over LCS's SoS right now. American Heritage, to me, needs control of their sideline before I'm putting them back in the top 3. I'm also highly concerned, after seeing them..that after Devin Singletary..there isn't much there. I keep waiting for Alec Sincfield or DJ Davis to have a monster game. I'll be at the AHD vs Oxbridge game, and I was just at the AHD vs Glades Central game.

So, I put CCC at #2, as have other publications. Tampa Catholic features the #1 WR in America and IMHO another top player in America Devan Barrett at RB. The game in a few weeks will be awesome.

This week, I'll be at the CCC vs South Lake game.

TCman,

I respect your opinion. Here's my thought process, CCC might be ranked to high- but I'm not sold on Oxbridge..yet. And I'm not going to hand them a top 3 ranking because people are scared of them. To many people keep preaching on their win over Gulliver because they shut them out..but Gulliver was just shut out again last week.

I'll take CCC's win over Berkeley Prep over LCS's SoS right now. American Heritage, to me, needs control of their sideline before I'm putting them back in the top 3. I'm also highly concerned, after seeing them..that after Devin Singletary..there isn't much there. I keep waiting for Alec Sincfield or DJ Davis to have a monster game. I'll be at the AHD vs Oxbridge game, and I was just at the AHD vs Glades Central game.

So, I put CCC at #2, as have other publications. Tampa Catholic features the #1 WR in America and IMHO another top player in America Devan Barrett at RB. The game in a few weeks will be awesome.

This week, I'll be at the CCC vs South Lake game.

Jess.... I absolutely get your thoughts on this .. After just two weeks its a little tough to get a gauge on the best teams due to strength of schedule / lack of common opponents. I think your'e list is accurate and on target with the teams represented.

By the way, I think the AHD vs. Oxbridge game is going to be VERY interesting. One of the top games in the state as the former AHD coach goes up against his old team (I'm sure Socha has this one circled ). That one could go either way and being at AHD could make the difference.

TCMan,

I will be at that game front and center! Travis Homer vs Devin Singletary, the huge offensive line at AHD vs a strong defense from Oxbridge. The Doug Socha storylines- the game is just RIPE with story lines.

Right now, Oxbridge might be a more complete team because they're better off at QB; however, the Stallions have won a lot of games against tough teams without throwing to much. AHD has an edge due to being at home and having big game experience.

As a fan, the best thing is- we might get this game TWICE! That's not to sell Westminster or Chaminade-Madonna short though. Both are talented ball clubs this year.

Great job Jess. Lots of time and thinking went into this and it shows.

I see you went down to Glades Central. Kind of crazy down there at times depending on what teams are playing. I'm sure you enjoyed the game, it was a headliner and AHD can be erratic.
The Oxbridge vs AHD game is the one I'm interested in. Should be the one that tells the tale. Who is real and who isn't. We already know AHD can play against lesser talent, but can the play against equal talent? I'm going to go with AHD this year for the same reason you probably will, they have experience in big games. Should be very entertaining.

Jax Trinity vs West Orange. This one will be huge for West Orange. WO is rolling and have depth, That matters in a 4 quarter battle. This could be the game of the week IMHO. Looking forward to the results. Can Jax T hang one on the big dogs?

That will be an uphill battle for Jax TCA for sure. Depth is not to deep at TCA. But that is why they play the game. I just hope it doesn't rain again.

Here's the thing. JaxTCA is clearly the class of Class 3A right now, so even if worse comes to worst and West Orange beats JaxTCA (Or it's a blowout)- it won't change that fact.

I, for one, have no doubt that JaxTCA will represent themselves and Class 3A well in this game and if there was one team that I would want 3A represented by against a powerhouse 8A team it's JaxTCA.

Good luck this Friday!

Cat_Scratch,

Cocoa took one on the chin against IMG; however, I don't think any less of Cocoa- just like I didn't think any less of JaxTCA or CCC last year when they took their lumps vs IMG. It's not a fair fight.

IMG travels to Bergen Catholic this week who earlier this year beat American Heritage DelRay. I streamed that game live and was very impressed with Bergen Catholic.

Cocoa will still represent Class 4A very well going forward!

Reactions: Fan 74
Thanks Jess. It was ugly watching our boys being drowned like a kitten by IMG. 10 Personal Fouls by IMG was a bit much. Judson took a shot in the ribs and will be out a few weeks to heal. That hurts... On the bright side, Cocoa was able to move the ball on the IMG defense, but 5 turnovers killed them. IMG is adept at stripping the ball.

You can watch IMG vs BC on the same stream as the AHD vs BC link if you're interested. It's a Saturday game at 1 pm. I intend to watch it but I will be working so I hope that it will be an archive game somewhere later.

Whoa is me. Just looked at some video of Wakulla. QB Feleipe Franks and company is a machine. I have no idea how OTC is going to handle them. Our only chance is for OTC's offense to start producing big time. Maybe we can outscore them or something. Cathedral Prep is a good Pennsylvania team and Wakulla took care of business in Pennsylvania 31-14. They also destroyed Madison at Boot Hill 37-0. Of course Madison is in the same boat as OTC in a rebuilding mode. In looking at OTC's performance on the field, from my vantage point, the players are not coming together as a unit. Our QB Miller is a good one. We have a couple of good RBs and a couple of outstanding receivers. The OL is not holding up and does not open holes for the RBs and does not allow time for Miller to get set. The defense just makes too many mistakes on coverage, especially pass coverage, which Franks will take advantage of. For the parents of the players it's just an opportunity to watch their kid no matter the outcome of the game. For a fan, like myself with no kids at Trinity, it's very frustrating to sit through a game knowing that OTC is probably going to lose. It's the first time, in all of the years I've been attending OTC games, that I've not been optimistic.

And JaxTCA remains the class of 3A. Well done fellas, great win for your program, community and a great win for 3A as a whole!

And JaxTCA remains the class of 3A. Well done fellas, great win for your program, community and a great win for 3A as a whole!

Great win for TCJax tonight over the 8A power West Orange. TCJax up 28-7 at half and put WO on a running clock in the third quarter . Final was 42-14. Very impressive win tonight for TC. West Orange came in #2 in the State in 8A according to Maxpreps. No time to rest - district play starts in two weeks against Providence !

What in the world happened to CCC? Lost to South Lake 38-7 on CCC's field. South Lake previously lost to Leesburg 48-7 and to Lake Minneola 28-20. Did they have a couple of their top players out with injuries or maybe their starting QB sitting on the bench?

Maxpreps had the score reversed. Was wondering.................................................:confused:

I was gonna say CCC won that.

Wow, did Trinity Jax ever show up to play. I was blown away with the score they put on WO. I was so sure WO was going to win. Well I will certainly be pulling for Trinity for the remainder of the year. I just don't see them losing any games this year.
I should stick to 4A where I'm paying more attention to who is who.

Trinity Christian is the team to beat in 3A until a 3A team beats them. I was impressed not only with their team, but their fanbase as well..there isn't any hootin' and hollerin' dumb-butts in the stands (well, a few, but that's normal for any HS). At this point, I'm fairly positive Trinity will be favored from here out, but they do have interesting games remaining against Tallahasse Lincoln and Tallahassee Godby.

FWIW, going into week 5, I will be at the CCC vs Tampa Catholic game. Tampa Catholic features the #1 WR in America according to rivals Nate-Craig Myers. They also feature a top 20 running back in the class of 2017 Devan Barrett and extremely skilled athletes in Noah Carlson, Bantlee Sanders and Darious Corbett. They also took their bye week last week to allow 2 weeks to prepare for the Marauders.

Next week I, along with most of the state, will be heading down to American Heritage DelRay to see the Stallions play Oxbridge.

Jess, any chance for a update on 3A football heading into the last few weeks before the play offs?

Fan 74, I will :) I've had a lot going on life wise that's really prevented me from posting much, but I'm going to do a regional look at 3A shortly.

Fan 74, ... I've had a lot going on life wise that's really prevented me from posting much ...
SPCjessica, one thing you should never do is allow your personal life to get in the way of your 3A updates. And it ain't just you. Take Pipe Dream for example. He probably gonna have to quit his day job in order to respond in a more timely fashion to board complaints outta New Jersey. No he ain't paid nothin, but that's irrelevant. He in the majors ... he in control of a big-time board. Wouldn't be surprised if he also found it necessary to cut the surfin down to 6 days a week.

Reactions: SPCjessica2004
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT