ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 34-12 South Ft Myers

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
USF Coach Taggert and some staff were at this one as were Arkansas, Illinois and Virginia looking at kids on both teams. Two Tarpons have already been offered by USF including Maleek Williams who went off for 242 yards after a 45 minute lightening delay. South's E'Quan Dorris is a talented, fast and shifty back, he had 96 rushing.

Charlotte broke in a new QB, Dee Hicks, a great athlete with plenty of arm. Just missed a couple of bombs and had a few drops. Think the passing game was close, will get better over the summer 7 on 7s.The young Tarpon kicker Kenny Scribner (Coming soph) who hit FGs from 32 and 49 (No rush, no KOs), he's going to be a great one.

There was an ugly sexual assault incident reported early in the week at South Ft Myers, that allegedly involved a large number of male students, including a number of football players. Wave even texted me asking if South would have enough to play. But as the Naples Daily reported, there were no suspensions: "Like everyone else employed at the school, second-year Fort Myers coach Anthony Dixon wouldn't comment on the situation, but when a reporter pointed out all his players were dressed, he grinned and winked. That said a lot."

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised they played the game with all the players dressed out. Ugly doesn't even begin to describe what that incident was. There was talk online wondering if SFM was even going to have a football team this year at all.

I've read and heard some things, but don't want to jump the gun. It sure doesn't look good. I saw this morning it's starting to get some national media play.

Waveindex.bs has the Tarps playing Miami Central in the state semi-final at home. Fort Myers staff left the game shaking their heads. WAVE OUT!

Ha ha, I think the Tarps better find some bigger and faster linemen if that's going to happen. WAVE OUT! (For you HWF)

Bring them over to your house all summer and feed them. Pass on your knowledge to them! Your lineman knowledge.

Reactions: Silver King
I've tried that Choc, trust me. I think O-line are the hardest positions to cultivate at the high school level, and particularly five that work well together.

Waveindex.bs has the Tarps playing Miami Central in the state semi-final at home. Fort Myers staff left the game shaking their heads. WAVE OUT!

I know I said this last year... but the Tarps will have to see us this year we are hungry after that debacle last year.

I knew they'd be ready to play you guys because they wanted to play us again. I guess they'd say we "debacled" them after they gave up 99 points to us in two weeks. So there was a lot of debacling going on.

They made the first arrest in the above mentioned case at South, the Soph transfer running back (Not the kid I mentioned above) who was allowed to play that night. He wouldn't have in our program; we had three guys sitting that night for some very minor issues.

Reactions: Wavebb
The FHSAA is looking in to the situation at South per WINK News. This could get interesting. WAVE OUT!

Reactions: MustangMom
I think all Head football coaches should be full-time teachers. Now I will shut up and let the investigation go on. WAVE OUT!

Reactions: Silver King
What if they are coaches and ADs? What you're saying is they should be school employees, not someone from the community coaching the team?

I don't know if that would change this situation. It sounds like a whole lot boys thought the rules didn't apply to them. And the victim needed additional help before she was put back in a mainstream school. BTW, Ft Myers has gotten more national attention in the past year then I ever recall before. It's kind of scary!

Yes school employees, Choc. People who are on campus when the kids are there. Our HC is notified whenever one of the football players "acts up". Grade problems get reported and addressed much quicker. Believe me, our athletes do not want to get sent to our ( strong ) Principal or Head Coach's office. We have all had problems that could not be avoided. What happened at South is going to cost at least one football player a college education. Maybe it could not have been prevented. I think differently. WAVE OUT!

My son's school was the same as yours. Actually, an assistant coach was also an assistant principle. They had a "no facial hair" policy so he would bring the football players violating the rule to his office and make them shave before they return to class. Low grades or missed classes were reported to the HC immediately and action was taken.

In 2004, they lost two of their best juniors for the playoffs because these players didn't think they needed to attend 7th hour. Most of the seniors didn't have a class then and the juniors figured all football players followed the same rules. Boy, were they wrong!

I think all Head football coaches should be full-time teachers. Now I will shut up and let the investigation go on. WAVE OUT!

I disagree... But if the HC is not a teacher he needs to have his top assistants on campus... Soimetimes the best guys ARE NOT teachers as Pinellas County has learned

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT