ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 24-14 Lehigh

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Tarpons came out a little sluggish as they're apt to do after a bye. This was closer than the score indicates. Had some great plays and some bad ones, high school football...

First time I've ever been wanded going into a game and there must have been a dozen cops there. Think they had an incident early in the year but it seemed like a nice place to me.

Oh yeah, I can see why Lee County didn't want to pay their officiating crews anymore money when they threatened to go on strike (Cpst us and a lot of other teams a game and a gate). Penalty distribution was all one way in this one. Just horrible calls by an older ref, who when he finally did make a call for us, saying our receiver had "one in, one out" on a goal line catch right in front of me, the white hat ignored him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wavebb
Charlotte playing well I see... getting ready for post season run in punta gorda?

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we made the playoffs this season - But our 1 loss was in the district. Facing three tough games and we’re a little beat up. Palmetto is thumping everyone, Port Charlotte looks very good and took their usual bye-week before us to try and get us out of their head after three straight comeback wins, and Southeast is good. I thought we’d have two loses by now anyway.

Who you pull for? Don’t be shy, we’re all friends here - well maybe except Orabidon and Peezy

I've written already about Palmetto, basically team wise they have a great combination on size and maturity along both sides of the line of scrimmage.........The maturity is a huge factor to winning battles in the trenches! Then at the skilled positions they are extremely athletic and fast, as well as having a great deal of maturity too. I don't believe the Palmetto HBC is elite, but he is a cut above good and he has a good supporting cast of assistant coaches..............all in all this Palmetto team is the best team Palmetto has had since its semi final team that lost to eventual state champion Miami Norland by 7, when they failed to score at the Norland goal line in the closing seconds of the game. So no bottom line, I don't expect Charlotte to have any kind of chance in this game.
Port Charlotte will be a tuff game for Charlotte as well, but here's the thing about your district......I can see a situation where 4 of the 5 teams from Charlotte HS District by season's end ( district champ and 3 wildcard teams), with RPI's that put them all in the playoffs..............unless there's some obscure rule that limits the number of teams qualifying for the playoffs from a single district? So regardless of the Palmetto game Charlotte has plenty to play for, in as far as the playoffs are concerned!

Go Canes Go!

I just enjoy HS football. I have some friends in Sarasota and some on the Sarasota football staff and know a couple at Venice. When I'm not on the water in the Siesta area I try to stay caught up with the latest and greatest. And I think Palmetto is over rated. The barely beat Manatee they struggled with BR (3-3 at half) so tradition lives at Charlotte and I think those Tarpons could pull it off. I think Palmetto does what they have done 1st or 2nd round and done. No one is talking about it but Riverview or Venice will go the deepest in our area

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we made the playoffs this season - But our 1 loss was in the district. Facing three tough games and we’re a little beat up. Palmetto is thumping everyone, Port Charlotte looks very good and took their usual bye-week before us to try and get us out of their head after three straight comeback wins, and Southeast is good. I thought we’d have two loses by now anyway.

Who you pull for? Don’t be shy, we’re all friends here - well maybe except Orabidon and Peezy

You realize when Manatee played Palmetto the game was delayed due to a storm that passed through the area, and it subsequently left both teams with a a very wet field, and for all intent left the passing game as a none option. The fact that Palmetto beat Braden River in the 2nd half 24-0......means absolutely nothing......... and the Sarasota Riverview team team you indicate will go deep in the playoffs, also lost by double digits to that same Palmetto team you deem over-rated..............okay, guess you and I are dealing with different realities.......eventual outcomes will however settle actual realities versus desired realities!

Go Canes Go!

Good stuff FishinGuy, what do you like to catch? I ran yacths for a lot of years (80s/90s) and spent some time in Srasota Bay at Long Boar Key Club and Marina Jacks. Drifted about ten years in Boca Grande Pass as a live-bait Tarpon Guide.

just like to do a lot of wade flats fishing.

Seems like there is a buzz and some optimism on the Charlotte side about tomorrow night... Thoughts?

Good stuff FishinGuy, what do you like to catch? I ran yacths for a lot of years (80s/90s) and spent some time in Srasota Bay at Long Boar Key Club and Marina Jacks. Drifted about ten years in Boca Grande Pass as a live-bait Tarpon Guide.

Oh we're always optimistic, we've upset a few teams we weren't supposed to be on the field with; Tarpon Springs when I played, to go to the Semi's, We were the first west coast team to beat St Thomas Aquinas (oldest son on that team), My youngest son's team beat Manatee the last time we played them (1st time since 1948), and beat Venice (after they dropped 56 on us regular season) in the only playoff game the two teams had played in this series since the 1928.

But this isn't any of those teams talent wise, and we have some guys out. Palmetto is cake walking everyone - we'd have to play the best game of the year to stay in this one. At least its at home.

Who do you have out? That stinks in a district contest between two district front runners that you arent full strength but I doubt anyone is. I saw some kids in jerseys for Palmetto on their live stream so I think they have some kids out. I dont know who they are I dont follow them enough just wanted to see how that match up went vs BR

Oh we're always optimistic, we've upset a few teams we weren't supposed to be on the field with; Tarpon Springs when I played, to go to the Semi's, We were the first west coast team to beat St Thomas Aquinas (oldest son on that team), My youngest son's team beat Manatee the last time we played them (1st time since 1948), and beat Venice (after they dropped 56 on us regular season) in the only playoff game the two teams had played in this series since the 1928.

But this isn't any of those teams talent wise, and we have some guys out. Palmetto is cake walking everyone - we'd have to play the best game of the year to stay in this one. At least its at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT