ADVERTISEMENT

Canes cruise past Generals 43-13

twc2499

Oct 28, 2006
Manatee beat Miami Jackson 43-13 on Senior night. The Canes (6-4) will enter the 7A Region 3 playoff's as the #3 seed most likely hosting Pinellas Park on Friday Nov 8th. The official seeding and playoff brackets will be announced Sunday.

Few things about the game:
*Miami Jackson in as far as the offense and the play calling, reminded me of what SliverKing's powder Puff teams offensive play calling must look like? I swear when the QB with all the WR's huddled up on the sideline in between plays, they had to be drawing up plays right there in the dirt,,,,,,, that was some strange/odd schemed offense!
* Tyreak Allen, gets my game ball for defense tonight, as he was really laying the hits out there tonight and wrapping up. Then on Irone's TD on the KO return, someone from Miami Jackson plastered Tyreak on the return. I wondered if that was going to change the way he played for the rest of the night, but on the next defensive series.....there he was once again laying some major hits on whom ever had the ball......I was impressed.....he took some and got back up and gave it right back and then some! He's just a Sophomore too......wow!
* Ron Harley NG, must be really banged up......I've watched him the last few weeks and he's obviously lumbering.....with shoulder and ankle issues.....energy level is extremely low too
* Devon Stewart DE, could be really really really good! I don't believe he's getting the right kind of coaching to move him to a upper level. He's another one I believe has a boat load of un-tapped potential!
* I've watched the OC all season, and I just don't get him? There are so many things available to him with the offensive personnel Manatee has, but he keeps going back to the same thing......which against the better defensive teams, I just don't see as a offensive philosophy that can hold its own. Last week was the 1st time, I felt he adapted the offense and his personnel to give Manatee its best chance to win the game!
The score was lopsided, but if I were the HBC I believe there was plenty to not be happy about, when you get everyone together for film review.

Hoping its Pinellas Park next week, as I want to see Lawrence Toafili play. He's presently a FSU commit, but I know at one time the Gators were after him big Time......so I want to see this talent in action to do my own evaluation...

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
I going to have to disagree with you on this one! Green has done a good job! He came into this program at the start of fall practice. Then having to put in a totally new offense in a very short period time! Then a season ending knee injury to top RB Tyree Jones along with not having RB/WR Napoleon Harris to start the season really hampered the progress of the offense. Weaning in a very young QB to run this offense has also been a challenge. As the season has gone on the offense has gotten better! Beside the slow start (0-3) to the season and the Osceola game they have averaged almost 35 points a game. The passing game has really improved and we saw glimpses of a running game at Venice. Losing Tyree really took away a lot. Green loves to run the football and that has been slow in developing. It easy for all of us to sit back and critique and second guess. I have faith in what they are trying to do. Be patient with them!! Go Canes!!

Reactions: fsufan727
TWC2499, your making excuses about personnel, injuries and a new coach.....I'm watching games and what he's calling. You call success over long completions for TD's against against teams with terrible defenses, and I'm saying that stuff doesn't fly as the basis for an sound offense, against a good defense. The offensive line and this was true last night as well, gets absolutely no push most of the time and its foolish to think you'll get better results against teams with good defensive lines in the playoffs.....so you scheme with what you got to give you a better chance at running the ball.....last week was the only time this season I saw the staff do that.....why?

Im talking about coaching beyond the X's and O's.......right now from what I've seen, a 1st year Brion Carnes as the OC is every bit as good as Jaquez Green with multiple years working as an OC.......that's what I'm talking about!

While I agree losing Tyree hurt, Tyson is no slouch.....he's every bit as good as a Frank Crayton or Stevie Gaskins (TB's for the 83 and 85 state title teams)! So stop the whining about who's injured and this teams youth,,,,,this team has talent despite the injuries and its youth........its just has to be coached up, for what it its capable at doing well.........

Go Canes Go!

This is twc2499...You asked earlier how to get involved with the program. You need to get involved!! Then you can speak up, let the coaches know you’re not happy. Better yet, get out there and coach the lower levels, get involved. You’ve been very critical of this program for a long time from up in Georgia. Now that you’re down here do something about it.

The bottom line I don’t agree with you on a lot of issues because you really don’t know the in’s and out’s of this program and until you do I won’t trust your opinion. You’re an armchair quarterback from a far with opinions that don’t have any validation at times. Hope to see you out there at the booster club meetings and possibly coaching. I know you don’t care for me or like any of my opinions but there is no ill feelings from my end! Go Canes!!

I've written 2 different individuals the day after I asked you about who to contact, at the email addresses that were provided for contact purposes. So far nothing?

And I haven't been critical of the program, I've been critical of the individuals making decisions that affect the program. You see I'll be at Manatee games regardless of who is making decisions, individuals come and go......just like fair weathered fans.......Got nothing against you, yeah you and I definitely see more than a few things differently...............but my MO has never been to be a "Go with the flow" individual, and while I know it typically will cause more than a few to not like that. I speak up when most stay quiet.......like it or not that's just me..............my resume in business in fact is filled with a career of being like this, and it gained me the respect of my peers and the managers and VP''s i interacted with in DC, primarily because one of my talents was the ability to see through the BS and fluff......

Let me ask you something, has the current HBC invited Joe out to the practice field............ever? Has Joe been out to practice on his own with the current football staff, since he got out of coaching.............ever? I'm guessing he hasn't, but yet I know for a fact he's been out to other area school practices.......... why?

Im waiting of the seedings for 7A, but I think the odds are good if the seeding goes like I think it will for Manatee to be home for 2 of the first 3 playoff games........yeah I feel Manatee's chances at being region champs is real good......beating STA however is a whole other thing......

Go Canes Go!

Coach Shakir has reached out to Joe... they met and talked in depth when he was first hired Joe said he would help out in anyway and approved the hire! You have to understand that Joe is very bitter and has been staying away from the program for sometime! It has nothing to do with the current coaching staff or school itself but everything to do with the politics of the matter. He finally came to the ball game the other night was interviewed by the radio team. Shakir and Joe are friends and talk on occasions. You have to understand Joe is like an ambassador to high school football here in the county, he’s willing to go out to all the schools not just Manatee. He does that because he loves to be involved when he can......

I agree with you they have a good chance to play three rounds at home. I’m hoping they’ll play Venice in the third round for chance to play against St Thomas. Yes St Thomas is in a different category and plays on a different planet than most teams. I’m telling you next year we can make a run at it.....bowing out in game four of the playoffs would be a great success to this football team and the program!!

Last edited:
Reactions: peezy28
I've written 2 different individuals the day after I asked you about who to contact, at the email addresses that were provided for contact purposes. So far nothing?

And I haven't been critical of the program, I've been critical of the individuals making decisions that affect the program. You see I'll be at Manatee games regardless of who is making decisions, individuals come and go......just like fair weathered fans.......Got nothing against you, yeah you and I definitely see more than a few things differently...............but my MO has never been to be a "Go with the flow" individual, and while I know it typically will cause more than a few to not like that. I speak up when most stay quiet.......like it or not that's just me..............my resume in business in fact is filled with a career of being like this, and it gained me the respect of my peers and the managers and VP''s i interacted with in DC, primarily because one of my talents was the ability to see through the BS and fluff......

Let me ask you something, has the current HBC invited Joe out to the practice field............ever? Has Joe been out to practice on his own with the current football staff, since he got out of coaching.............ever? I'm guessing he hasn't, but yet I know for a fact he's been out to other area school practices.......... why?

Im waiting of the seedings for 7A, but I think the odds are good if the seeding goes like I think it will for Manatee to be home for 2 of the first 3 playoff games........yeah I feel Manatee's chances at being region champs is real good......beating STA however is a whole other thing......

Go Canes Go!
Try contacting the head coach directly through his manatee county schools email. I'm sure it's public. There is so much I can talk about but to defend coach green, coach green is way better than coach carnes and it's not even close. Brion had way better talent to work with than coach green. You are right, being young is not an excuse, however this team had to first know how to win and play that way consistently. A lot of times we put so much into play calling but sometimes it's just simple as execution. Green puts the kids in the proper situations to be successful but they have to execute. On the Kinnan situation, coach shakir has an open door for joe to come out and he has been there a few times a practice, only a few, but from what I heard he is trying to stay away and give coach shakir space. But definitely if you can help the the program out in any way especially coaching, that would be great.

gatorman, so after all these years you're finally saying something positive about Carnes, with me not having to defend him, and then you jump on my Powder Puff team? I'm the DC, by the way.

But obviously you've never seen our Powder Puff team's offense. Why you dissing it? We run bunch sets, flanker screens, jet sweeps, RPOs and the QB can audible. They even have wrist bands. You don't string off a dozen wins, half with underclass-women, by drawing up plays in the dirt. This season we never took more than 3 plays to score, no matter where we started from on the field. That was tough on my D, couldn't even talk strategy and they were heading back out, but we dominated.

If Manatee is still bugging you next October come watch our juniors next season. This will be their first game, but you'll see a fast attacking D that sets the edge.

In the mean time I'm contacting the Title IX people about that remark!!

Last edited:
Depending how Manatee does in the playoffs, and if Charlotte is still playing.....I intend to come watch them play! 4 teams from 1 district in the playoffs..........that's saying something about the level of competition in the District......Congrats on getting in!

Didn't mean to disparage your powder puff team, was just the 1st thing that came to mind to create a mental picture of how I saw things Friday night with Miami Jackson's offense.

Go Canes Go!

I was just playing you know that. Good luck to Manatee, I'm still not sure how I feel about getting in the playoffs with our district record. I understand the intent of the formula, but still. I'm happy for the players.

Few things about the game:
*Miami Jackson in as far as the offense and the play calling, reminded me of what SliverKing's powder Puff teams offensive play calling must look like? I swear when the QB with all the WR's huddled up on the sideline in between plays, they had to be drawing up plays right there in the dirt,,,,,,, that was some strange/odd schemed offense!
* Tyreak Allen, gets my game ball for defense tonight, as he was really laying the hits out there tonight and wrapping up. Then on Irone's TD on the KO return, someone from Miami Jackson plastered Tyreak on the return. I wondered if that was going to change the way he played for the rest of the night, but on the next defensive series.....there he was once again laying some major hits on whom ever had the ball......I was impressed.....he took some and got back up and gave it right back and then some! He's just a Sophomore too......wow!
* Ron Harley NG, must be really banged up......I've watched him the last few weeks and he's obviously lumbering.....with shoulder and ankle issues.....energy level is extremely low too
* Devon Stewart DE, could be really really really good! I don't believe he's getting the right kind of coaching to move him to a upper level. He's another one I believe has a boat load of un-tapped potential!
* I've watched the OC all season, and I just don't get him? There are so many things available to him with the offensive personnel Manatee has, but he keeps going back to the same thing......which against the better defensive teams, I just don't see as a offensive philosophy that can hold its own. Last week was the 1st time, I felt he adapted the offense and his personnel to give Manatee its best chance to win the game!
The score was lopsided, but if I were the HBC I believe there was plenty to not be happy about, when you get everyone together for film review.

Hoping its Pinellas Park next week, as I want to see Lawrence Toafili play. He's presently a FSU commit, but I know at one time the Gators were after him big Time......so I want to see this talent in action to do my own evaluation...

Go Canes Go!

This will be much like Manatee vs Pinellas Schools of old. something like 56-0 or something like that. LT is good but they still run the antiquated Wing T... He has been shut down on numerous occasions this year so I doubt he does much against manatee. Probably wont be his best showing... I think he is a tad bit overrated personally.

gatorman, so after all these years you're finally saying something positive about Carnes, with me not having to defend him, and then you jump on my Powder Puff team? I'm the DC, by the way.

Careful... Gmans memory of the Carnes era is much different than ours.. last time I brought up him complement Carnes he got all huffy and puffy about me bringing up old stuff... I tried to explain on this board he simply will never live down his words and disdain towards Carnes as a player... Everyone still on the board remembers... It was THAT PREVALENT to the point it was a topic of discussion amongst men at state games... A topic of Great Humor... I am sure Dan remembers the famous quote. Something about railroad tracks.

Okay I go away now... Glad to see the canes improve late in season and hope they make a run.

This will be much like Manatee vs Pinellas Schools of old. something like 56-0 or something like that. LT is good but they still run the antiquated Wing T... He has been shut down on numerous occasions this year so I doubt he does much against manatee. Probably wont be his best showing... I think he is a tad bit overrated personally.

Apparently the Gators had the RB from Deerfield Beach (Also a FSU commit) in this weekend and are leaning on big time to de-commit from FSU and Commit to the Gators......, this situation with the coaching situation at FSU, might now be something worth watching to see what develops with commitments? I just like getting to see the top talent in the state play, that I've read so much about like LT......

I could see a score like you suggested, but those Manatee teams of old were fine tuned powerhouse type teams, this Manatee team isn't anywhere close to that......they've gotten better but not to that level yet......

The region and the way its set up this year, provides for a great opportunity for Manatee to potentially be at home 2 or 3 times if they continue to win during the early rounds of the playoffs, to say nothing about also providing an excellent opportunity to maybe have STA at home for a semi-final game......

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Careful... Gmans memory of the Carnes era is much different than ours.. last time I brought up him complement Carnes he got all huffy and puffy about me bringing up old stuff... I tried to explain on this board he simply will never live down his words and disdain towards Carnes as a player... Everyone still on the board remembers... It was THAT PREVALENT to the point it was a topic of discussion amongst men at state games... A topic of Great Humor... I am sure Dan remembers the famous quote. Something about railroad tracks.

Okay I go away now... Glad to see the canes improve late in season and hope they make a run.

Its just a debate, that I now see that neither side is ever going to see differently.......so I just prefer not discussing it................... My mistake back then was allowing myself to be lured into disingenuous debate, that in reality was just fodder for humor in subsequent conversation, I obviously wasn't in a position to take part in with the "Men" at the state games, glad however you men were able to find a consensus amongst yourselves........you'll have to let me in on the "railroad tracks" quote some time or another.......?

Go Canes Go!

Its just a debate, that I now see that neither side is ever going to see differently.......so I just prefer not discussing it................... My mistake back then was allowing myself to be lured into disingenuous debate, that in reality was just fodder for humor in subsequent conversation, I obviously wasn't in a position to take part in with the "Men" at the state games, glad however you men were able to find a consensus amongst yourselves........you'll have to let me in on the "railroad tracks" quote some time or another.......?

Go Canes Go!

See if the misses will let you know come to states this year regardless if Manatee makes it or not. We can likely get you access if we still have the connection... i will check with Pat...

We were just talking today about the possibility of traveling to Tampa next week, and that she didn't want to drive home so late into the night........(since were in Punta Gorda). So I may be going to that one by myself........should Manatee advance Friday night and Mitchell wins..............but as far as states go, I plan on going...........I dont believe that Angie Baby (The misses), is going to have a problem with that, and in fact will probably want to come along........I believe I told the story when her and I came down in 2009 for the Manatee vs Braden River...... was in fact one of those classic Brion games.....couldn't hit the board side of a barn kind of games..Another Carnes actually won the game 14-7, by scoring on a 20 yard run late in the 4th QT...anywho was her very 1st Manatee game and my little Southern GA belle almost got into a fight with an obnoxious Braden River fan....more like initiated a fight for me to have to finish.....she has a little bit of a " I aint taking no chit" attitude going for her!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT