ADVERTISEMENT

Canes Baby

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
When's the last time you saw a crowd like that at a Miami Hurricane Game ?

All but two of about 20 sports talking heads from ESPN and other game day shows picked Va Tech becauase the Canes "handn't shown them anything". Well, how about 8-0, you Penn/Ohio State 2-loss lovin' dolts?

Bring on Catholics vs Convicts baby!

When's the last time you saw a crowd like that at a Miami Hurricane Game ?

All but two of about 20 sports talking heads from ESPN and other game day shows picked Va Tech becauase the Canes "handn't shown them anything". Well, how about 8-0, you Penn/Ohio State 2-loss lovin' dolts?

Bring on Catholics vs Convicts baby!
Loudest enthusiastic crowd in years down there. Couldn't believe my ears.

Reactions: Silver King
Yeah, I was very impressed with the crowd. Too bad they are only "fair weather" fans. That team deserves better.

Hey, all those convicts have grandchildren now! But, that will be the game to either legitimize this team or, ugh, show that Notre Dame is that good. I'll be watching!

With all due respect Choc, I know you're in a bad state now that your team has Randy Shannon as a coach (Who factors into this bit of knowledge SK is bout to lay on you), but Miami Hurricane fans are not fair weather fans.

SK was a Canes fan as a little kid when George Mira played (his folks used to drive over from Punta Gorda to watch them), Sk was a fan when Mira's son played, and SK has been a fan ever since.

Canes fans just got used to a very competitive product many years ago (5 National Championships and the worst Flag in history or it would have been 6 - the other two programs are on the decline after coming off of their little runs). After yesterday in the Swamp, Gator fans are going to be dropping like flies.

During a decade of sanctions, Canes fans just didn't show up at the stadium for sub par performances and bad hires, they demanded more. Watch the New England Patriots when Brady and his coach leave. Canes fans see this hire and are back because they know recruiting is returning, and they feel the program will be in the mix big time next year. Anything they do from this game on is a bonus. Last two times they were 7-0, they lost game 8 to VT and ND.

You have to remember, Miami isn't some boring little town like Gainesville, Tally, Ann Arbor or South Bend; little towns that only have a stadium for the only college (act) team in the area and fill it because there's nothing else to do for people's entertainment dollar for sometimes hundreds of miles.

This is the international City of Miami, the place that produced the only undefeated NFL team in history, so you better have a team that lives up to potential and where the bar's been set.

If not, people might just go bet the ponies at Hialeah; Watch Jai Alai; Go to a cock fight in little Haiti; Hit the Coconut Grove Arts Festival, Play Dominos on Calle Ocho in Little Havana; Catch the latest filming of Cops; Hit Joe's Stone Crab or Los Ranchos for dinner; Go to Bachateando Dance Festival; Take a cruise out of the Port; Visit Lyric Theater in Overtown; Charter a boat for Sailfish; Buy a 50 Million dollar yacht; Hit any of the ICW wet tee shirt bars; Take in the sights on the nude beach; Watch Canes NC alumni, The Rock filming Ballers; or go to a host of pro sporting events.

Capiche?

Last edited:
Excuses, excuses, excuses!

I have to agree about too many other distractions. I went to see the Marlins play my beloved Cardinals and the crowd was pathetic. I better soccer gets more fans than football.

But, "fair weather" fans means they only show up when the team is doing well. They can't even get the students to attend. At Gainesville, all you see on TV is the student section. My niece went to U of F then their pharmacy school in Orlando. She finally got season tickets in the student lottery her last year. Not the same at Miami!

Again look where the campus is and were the stadium is.

The Swamp is hot, in South Florida it's sometimes 10 degrees hotter than G-ville.

See the highlights of the FSU game, when they showed that last FG that Syracuse mised to tie, in a very close game? There were maybe 200 people in that endzone of the Doak with 80% of the seats vacant.

Get ready let's see Gator attendance drop next time they're in the Swamp given the state of the program.

Again look where the campus is and were the stadium is.

The Swamp is hot, in South Florida it's sometimes 10 degrees hotter than G-ville.

See the highlights of the FSU game, when they showed that last FG that Syracuse mised to tie, in a very close game? There were maybe 200 people in that endzone of the Doak with 80% of the seats vacant.

Get ready let's see Gator attendance drop next time they're in the Swamp given the state of the program.

Losing drops attendance there is no mistaking that.

Reactions: Silver King
The experts said Hillary Clinton and Virginia Tech would win too.

The committee loves ND, the ESPN loves ND. This is where the Cane's function best - added incentive.

All week on the Miami board, people were praying ND comes with their full compliment, nobody sitting out because of injuries so they have no excuse. Its the Defense SK has been looking for since the turn of this century to announce they are on their way back.

Listen to SK, bet the mortgage on it. ND is not winning a night game in Miami that looks like Scotty from the Star Ship Enterprise just beemed down a couple of the NC Orange Bowl crowds from the Schnellenberger / Johnson Eras.

The Canes have already faced 4 better defenses this season.

Conversley, ND will not be facing USC again with that 7 on 7 defense they play. They are going to have to be more than one dimensional tonight.

Call your bookie, bet the bank.

Reactions: peezy28
I have a very close friend of mine who hasn’t missed a UM home game in 40 years and he would agree with both of you. They fill the seats on big game days but struggle to fill the lower bowl on games versus lessor opponents. Too many opportunities to spend your entertaining dollars else where in south Florida. My family have been season tickets holders at UF for the past 45 years and can tell you from first hand experience when the gators play people turn up regardless of the opponent or the record. And yes there will be empty seats around the stadium but you have to remember the swamp seats 91000 plus, Hard Rock Stadium sits about 65000 plus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT