ADVERTISEMENT

Boca Raton High has a hard decision ahead

Pretty sad but interesting scenario for Boca Raton student athlete/ possible felon on eligibility:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...-despite-court-ruling/N6VbEHstQcOP1KKqncOhtJ/

Any thoughts or opinions?

This kid is obviously very troubled. To be honest, while I am for giving individuals several chances, I don't know that he is redeemable. At 18 he is only a soph, which means he has probably repeated grades twice already. And then he goes and commits a criminal offence? SMH. He clearly does not realize he is functioning on borrowed time. He has athletic talent, but seems to lack commonsense, and self discipline. To be honest, his best bet would be to go to some kind of military school if that option is available.

Real tough guy rolling up an 11 year-old kid. SK like DB2 is for 2nd chances when they're warranted. But this hits at another issue; a sports culture that rewards athletes for staying back in high school when they're of an age to be playing in college. That kind of says it all.

I understand that in college; guys starting late, going to the military, maybe getting a 2nd chance out of prison. In college I played against a LB who was 28, a Vietnam Vet who played USMC ball in Okinawa - had a nice chat with him after the game, glad he got to come home and get a shot.

This kid being a sophomore at 18, who will be 20 and ineligible when he's a senior is a different story. Half my college career was over as a 2-year starter and I was still 19.

Then you also have the kids on the cusp months who graduate at 17, two out our best players were 17 this year.

Reactions: ratonto
If a County Judge approves this clown to return to extra curricular activities (with a ankle monitor) would the Boca Raton AD or perhaps even the FHSAA be able to overrule that county judgment or would the eligibility status have to go back to court. I don't think the school is going to allow this kid to participate and would this kid be able to lose use leverage against them as discrimination or something?

I am still surprised a County Judge approved/allowed a student athlete to return to athletics at the HS level with a ankle monitor on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT