ADVERTISEMENT

Bad call near the end of Mainland/Lake Wales contest, cost Mainland any real opportunity for a come back

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Too bad really because other than that one call, Refs had hardly made any calls that would impact the eventual outcome. Congrats to Lake Wales for winning its 1st state title!

There was a play very early in the game in which Mainland obviously fumbled, but the play had been ruled down. Instead of LW having the ball deep in Mainland territory, Mainland kept it and went down and got a field goal. That was probably the worst call of the game.

Too bad really because other than that one call, Refs had hardly made any calls that would impact the eventual outcome. Congrats to Lake Wales for winning its 1st state title!
How about on the first drive of the game when the Lake Wales defender stripped the Mainland runner of the ball, and forward progress was ruled stopped? Lake Wales would have had great field position with that explosive offense, instead Mainland kicked a field goal. The calls even out, don't they Invalid-man?

There was a play very early in the game in which Mainland obviously fumbled, but the play had been ruled down. Instead of LW having the ball deep in Mainland territory, Mainland kept it and went down and got a field goal. That was probably the worst call of the game.
I don't say this often, but great point skyway2021.

I don't think the end goal of officiating is to have a series of bad calls potentially even out. Let's try not to have such bad calls in the first place. I do think having replay available, but only usable when a coach throws his one challenge flag per half, could be best. If coaches were allowed one challenge per half, LW gets their bad play overturned, and Mainland could have possibly had their bad call fixed as well (though they'd have to allow challenges of defensive holding).

I don't think the end goal of officiating is to have a series of bad calls potentially even out. Let's try not to have such bad calls in the first place. I do think having replay available, but only usable when a coach throws his one challenge flag per half, could be best. If coaches were allowed one challenge per half, LW gets their bad play overturned, and Mainland could have possibly had their bad call fixed as well (though they'd have to allow challenges of defensive holding).
Another great point, skyway2021. However, replay should only be for the state title games, if cost-applicable.

I enjoyed watching this contest! The call I questioned was a pass interference call against Mainland, with about 1-3 minutes left in the contest. It allowed Lake Wales to pretty much eat up all of the remaining time on the clock, and subsequently kill just about any chance of Mainland being able to possibly mount a comeback. It was a bad call from my vantage point and at a critical point of the contest.

I enjoyed watching this contest! The call I questioned was a pass interference call against Mainland, with about 1-3 minutes left in the contest. It allowed Lake Wales to pretty much eat up all of the remaining time on the clock, and subsequently kill just about any chance of Mainland being able to possibly mount a comeback. It was a bad call from my vantage point and at a critical point of the contest.
You see how easy it is to answer a simple, basic question when asked? Definitely a lot easier than Manatee alum Willie Taggart learning how to be a winning Head Football Coach, and watch out for the ferocious Beavers from Corvallis Oregon!

Yes, but how much exactly? Are they paid hourly or per game? And what's a typical wage / amount?

Then I nominate jambun82 for POY!
Thank you MarkECannon, but I wonder if I should be sending a bill to all the other posters to this message board for all of the education that I have provided. Dan in Daytona should definitely owe me, since I have been teaching and educating that man for many years! Dan always feels smarter after one of my lessons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT