ADVERTISEMENT

5A #1 LAKELAND DREADNAUGHTS @ 7A #2 LAKE MARY RAMS

MarkECannon

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2010
This matchup is one of the better matchups in the state Friday night. The lazindex.com has Lakeland as a slight favorite(see Laz’s picks on the thread he posted on the board Wednesday). I will be interested to see if Lake Mary can stand up to Lakeland’s physical style of play. The Dreadnaughts will wear you out if you are not prepared for it. It usually takes an all out effort for 4 quarters to put Lakeland away. Lake Mary counters with Notre Dame commit Junior QB Noah Grubbs. Saw him play eventual 5A State Champion Daytona Mainland last year. Grubbs has a quick and easy throwing motion. Give him some time and he will carve you up.

I just spoke to Flavarsity legend Darterblue2 and he is definitely going to this game. Lake Mary super fan Laz probably won’t be able to make it but I’m sure he will be watching it on the internet. I plan to join Darter there.

Last edited:
This matchup is one of the better matchups in the state Friday night. The lazindex.com has Lakeland as a slight favorite(see Laz’s picks on the thread he posted on the board Wednesday). I will be interested to see if Lake Mary can stand up to Lakeland’s physical style of play. The Dreadnaughts will wear you out if you are not prepared for it. It usually takes an all out effort for 4 quarters to put Lakeland away. Lake Mary counters with Notre Dame commit Junior QB Noah Grubbs. Saw him play eventual 5A State Champion Daytona Mainland last year. Grubbs has a quick and easy throwing motion. Give him some time and he will carve you up.

I just spoke Flavarsity legend Darterblue2 and he is definitely going to this game. Lake Mary super fan Laz probably won’t be able to make it but I’m sure he will be watching it on the internet. I plan to join Darter there.
Watched a 20+ minute video of the Lakeland vs Miami Central game played a couple of weeks ago. Central was about 50/50 with its run to pass ratio, and Central had a Gator commitment among its wide receiver group. Thing that surprised me was how well Lakeland's DB's held up to the Central passing attack and WR speed. Lakeland seems to de a defensive dominated team this year, with a offense that did just enough against Central to win the game. The Lakeland QB was 2 year starter at Palmetto, before Marino left the headcoach position. He left palmetto to land at Lakeland and then went on to win a state title last year......Lakeland may just put something on Lake Mary it may hope to not see again this season.....would be my hunch.

Lakeland QB’s name is Zander Smith. My grandson and I saw him play his sophomore year the first half of a playoff game for Palmetto vs Lehigh. Had some size on him. Looks kind of like a linebacker. He did not throw much. When he dropped back to pass he would take off running at even the slightest bit of pressure. The backup for Lakeland, Chad Williams, transferred from Auburndale this year. Saw him play for Auburndale in the spring. So I have seen Lakeland’s starting and backup QB’s play live already for other schools. High school football in 2024.

Reactions: Silver King
This game turned out to be what we hoped it would be. Game was decided in the first OT when Lake Mary decided to go for 2. Noah Grubb’s pass to the back corner of the end zone sailed over the receivers head. Lakeland played this game like they weren’t giving maximum effort. Maybe they are just cool like that. Supreme confidence. Lake Mary had a chance to put the game away with a 35 yard field goal with approximately 1:30 left but the kick was wide right(dislike those 2 words together). Lakeland hit a 70 yard bomb to tie up the score with 29 seconds remaining sending the game into OT.

Now for the shameful part. The game had a 90 minute weather delay that started late in the first quarter. The super fan that I am decided to leave for home just minutes before the game restarted. I really did not think it was going to. I spoke to a few friends of mine at other games around the state that told me their games had been canceled due to weather. I make it back to Auburndale to see texts from 2 different people that the game had restarted and it was on YouTube. Now you know.

Reactions: gatorman001
This game turned out to be what we hoped it would be. Game was decided in the first OT when Lake Mary decided to go for 2. Noah Grubb’s pass to the back corner of the end zone sailed over the receivers head. Lakeland played this game like they weren’t giving maximum effort. Maybe they are just cool like that. Supreme confidence. Lake Mary had a chance to put the game away with a 35 yard field goal with approximately 1:30 left but the kick was wide right(dislike those 2 words together). Lakeland hit a 70 yard bomb to tie up the score with 29 seconds remaining sending the game into OT.

Now for the shameful part. The game had a 90 minute weather delay that started late in the first quarter. The super fan that I am decided to leave for home just minutes before the game restarted. I really did not think it was going to. I spoke to a few friends of mine at other games around the state that told me their games had been canceled due to weather. I make it back to Auburndale to see texts from 2 different people that the game had restarted and it was on YouTube. Now you know.
I left the Venice game last week, sitting in the parking lot in the car............because it started raining. I just decided I wasnt going to sit in the rain for a couple of teams I didnt really support.

Tuned into the Lakeland game late in the 4th QT, thinking it was all but over in Lake Mary's favor so decided to instead go to bed. I get the casual vibe you described about Lakeland, because the little bit of the game I did see, that was basically what I thought......when I compared it to how Lakeland played against Miami Central. Was very surprised to see Lakeland had pulled it out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT