ADVERTISEMENT

#3 1R CHIEFLAND INDIANS defeat LAFAYETTE MAYO HORNETS 38-20

MarkECannon

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2010
It was another humid but beautiful Florida football Friday night in Chiefland. Before the game I had grilled shrimp, real mashed potatoes, lima beans, homemade cinnamon cake and of course sweet tea at Bette’s Big T Restaurant on US 98. The locals and bikers had the restaurant filled to capacity with about 5O% going to the game afterward. I felt like taking a nap in the parking lot but proceeded to go inside the stadium instead.

Upon entering Chiefland’s Pridgeon Field I was immediately drawn to the modest Football State Champions sign on the concession stand. The Indians have won two championships(1961 & 1997). The ‘97 team was honored at halftime. Thirteen members were there that included Jarret Johnson who played at Alabama. He later was drafted in the 4th round by the Baltimore Ravens. He had an 11 year career in the NFL.

The game began by looking like it was going to be a shootout with 3 TD’s scored on the first 3 drives. Unfortunately Lafayette’s starting QB got banged up early while probably playing defense. He continued to play at receiver and corner but he was hobbling the rest of the night. Chiefland’s 6’1” junior QB, Matt Goodale, ran the offense with just the type of confidence and leadership you want in a QB. He is a good athlete but the best player on the field was Chiefland’s DE/RB by the name of Jonathan Adams. He is listed as a 6’2” 200 lb. junior. I could see him as an outside linebacker type in college and possibly a RB. He is very athletic with the type of deceptive speed where he doesn’t look like he is running at top speed but he is pulling away from everybody. As a defender he arrives with disciplined but hard knocking tackles. Adams’ has an offer from Louisville. He probably has others.

Lafayette has a good team with some talent to win a good many of their games. They were overmatched but showed a lot of heart to come back to make the score somewhat respectable. If the starting Hornets’ QB did not get hurt this could have been a game decided during the 4th quarter. It was the Hornets first loss and the Indians remain undefeated.

Now for something new I’ve never seen before. Chiefland was called for some sideline infractions. This prompted the groundskeeper to come out and repaint the line where the players and coaches must stay behind. He did this during play in the 2nd quarter. It kind of reminds me of the time the guy with the snow blower drove out to clear the area for the Buffalo Bills’ placekicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT