ADVERTISEMENT

You can purchase SK's book on Hurricane Ian

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
HURRICANE IAN BOATS GONE BAD by Capt. Paul DeGaeta
Happy 2023 Hurricane Season!

Hurricane Ian's Boats Gone Bad
is a 128-page, scattergun-fashion 6-month look at the ass-kicking Ian put on SW Florida's boats. Featured chapters cover Ft. Myers, North Ft. Myers, Ft Myers Beach, Bonita Springs, Naples, Pine Island, Sanibel/Captiva, Boca Grande, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewood, and Lemon Bay—SW Florida communities that faced the dragon Cat 4/5 Hurricane that was Ian. The book shows boats from 10-foot Kayaks to 100-foot world class yachts it hammered and left in the oddest places.

Five survivor stories are included: a rescue off a sinking shrimp boat; a sail boater who surfed the maximum 15-foot surge into the mangroves of Hurricane Bay and had to be rescued by USCG helicopter; and stories on the future of the San Carlos Shrimp Fleet from those in the San Carlos Shrimp Fleet (they don’t talk to just anybody). There are pages that deal with ICW landmarks like Useppa Island, Cabbage Key, Tarpon Inn, and South Seas Plantation; the book shows the fate of two landmark restaurants, the Bubble Room and Mucky Duck; and the state of the Sanibel Causeway and Lighthouse. There is a page of "You Loot, We Shoot" signs (nobody ended up shooting, but the signs are creative and funny). The book includes some spectacular damage shots of waterfront homes in the close to 800 color photographs.

Captions throughout come from the perspective of a 40-year career captain who has intimate knowledge of our coast, waterways, and marinas. He has also survived being inside the eye walls of four of the six SW Florida Hurricanes whose names have been retired. A great keepsake to remind you to exercise caution, particularly with storm surge.

Release June 1st, the opening day of hurricane season. Price: $35 per copy. PM me for ordering details.

Congratulations SK! Go ahead and give us the book info on the board. Give us a link if there is one.

Congratulations SK! Go ahead and give us the book info on the board. Give us a link if there is one.
Thanks buddy. My Facebook Page has an add for it.

Venmo is the only electronic payment I’m using; or you can pay with a check. I don't want to post much on here - Wavebb has my phone number and you can text me. Domestic Postage is $5

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
Couple of Questions:
1.) Most of the folks I've talked to, have indicated Ian was a worse experience compared to Charley.....you agree or disagree?
2.) Are you also into selling fishing lures online?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wavebb
These questions would be answered if you purchased the book. I'm holding one for Wave who wants to meet at Beef's to catch up. You and Mark should meet us (bring your checkbook).

Charley was a storm tighter than a drum, and depending on where you were, it was worse. My house on the Peace River had to be rebuilt from the studs up, with new everything, even the roof. I saw the inner part of the NE quadrant about 100 yards out in the Peace River as the eye came upon us. My two oldest sons and I were holding a door over a shattered window to keep our roof on.

Both the University of Houston and Clemson's wind schools did tests on broken lumber and damage and concluded the winds were Cat 5. My buddy, Charlotte County's EMS Manager (Voice of the Tarpons for 37 years) at the time, was at the EMS HQ at the airport and saw 185 MPH wind on the official EMS anemometer but couldn't tell NOAA he saw it for 10 seconds, and only because the roof tore off and he was forced to take cover.

Two days after IAN, I pulled over and had a quick chat with Jim Cantore, setting up for a shot. I said Charley was worse for me; he replied, It may have been, but you guys rebuilt your infrastructure and houses, so that helped. He was right.

Ian was something new - after the weather forecasters desensitized the region about the huge estimated storm surges over three decades that never came, one finally did.

I would have to say Ian was worse due to the size of that storm and number of individuals effected. SK you are so right about some of our local officials desensitizing the path when in fact, Fort Myers was in the middle of the Cone of Uncertainty. That's when I headed to the Hollywood Hard Rock for 4 days.

Last edited:
These questions would be answered if you purchased the book. I'm holding one for Wave who wants to meet at Beef's to catch up. You and Mark should meet us (bring your checkbook).

Charley was a storm tighter than a drum, and depending on where you were, it was worse. My house on the Peace River had to be rebuilt from the studs up, with new everything, even the roof. I saw the inner part of the NE quadrant about 100 yards out in the Peace River as the eye came upon us. My two oldest sons and I were holding a door over a shattered window to keep our roof on.

Both the University of Houston and Clemson's wind schools did tests on broken lumber and damage and concluded the winds were Cat 5. My buddy, Charlotte County's EMS Manager (Voice of the Tarpons for 37 years) at the time, was at the EMS HQ at the airport and saw 185 MPH wind on the official EMS anemometer but couldn't tell NOAA he saw it for 10 seconds, and only because the roof tore off and he was forced to take cover.

Two days after IAN, I pulled over and had a quick chat with Jim Cantore, setting up for a shot. I said Charley was worse for me; he replied, It may have been, but you guys rebuilt your infrastructure and houses, so that helped. He was right.

Ian was something new - after the weather forecasters desensitized the region about the huge estimated storm surges over three decades that never came, one finally did.
Let me know when you plan to meet up at beefs, and I'll come and bring my check book too!

I can be there at that time Monday, Tuesday or Friday this coming week............

Off the wall question: Did Steve Berry ever do a Friday night scoreboard show at this beef's? If so, surprised there isn't a pic somewhere in The Tarpon room commemorating the occassion......

I'm not sure, he may have, Wave would know. So 5pm tonight see you guys there. I'll get a hold of Wave today ! Heading to drop some books off to the Shrimp Fleet this morning.

Reactions: MarkECannon
OK Wave said he is going to try and be here so see you guys at 5 in the Tarpon room.

1105 Taylor Road, Punta Freakin' Gorda, FL

Last edited:
Are you reposing the question? Thought you'd know. I seem to remember they were talking about one but it may have been canceled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT