ADVERTISEMENT

With apologies to David Bowie,

gatorman-uf

Jul 28, 2006
the FHSAA, needs some CH-CH-CHanges!

We talk about this every two years, but the FHSAA now has 4 years to work on doing re-alignment correctly.

First, the FHSAA needs to look at several factors when doing realignment.

1) Average School Size, currently the FHSAA only uses school size of the year they are doing realignment. Instead, the FHSAA should use average school size of the previous 4 years, this keeps schools on a more even keel and doesn't allow one high population year to sway things.

2) Victory/strength. We can use just wins and losses or get more scientific with the Laz's Index or any of the other Index's out there, but we have to acknowledge that some teams STINK! Some teams kick butt!
Simple solution, over a 4 year period we add up your wins and losses, every victory above .500 means that we add 25 students to your average total. Every victory short of .500, we minus 50. Good teams would rise, poor teams would fall.

3) Reorganize Independents, 2A, 3A, when I look at a lot of the independents, I see schools that would probably love to play in a playoff system, but they happen to be near the American Heritage or Trinity Christians of the world. They don't want to compete with them, but they want to offer the rewarding sport of football. If we don't do #2 for all classes, we should do it for the independents, 2A, and 3A. Just simply separate them based on victories. Good schools in 2A, bad schools in 2B. 2B schools can play to a regional championship. Any regional champions move to 2A automatically the next re-alignment.

4) Size Matters: Let the size of the district help determine the number of playoff spots. If a district has less than 5 or less teams, the only team that is guaranteed a playoff position is the district champion. If you have 6 or more, then the top 2 get it. All other positions are wildcard.

Classifications
1A) Rural-Here to stay, while the 1As are grumbling about Madison, Baldwin, Union County, and Fort White. The districts weren't done how I would do it, 1A is better than the alternative.
2A) and 3A) I have already talked a little about this, but these classifications are far too small. They need some weight added to them. My solution 2A and 2B, 2A is premiere teams, 2B is sub-premiere teams. You can't win a state championship in 2B, but you would be facing teams of your own strength and would allow those teams to build and win and then move up. Teams that struggle in 2A, can move down.

4A-8A, need one less classification.

State Championships

1) I don't understand why FAU's stadium isn't considered the perfect place for the FHSAA state championship. I know that Panhandle has to drive far, but a place that sits in some of the biggest markets, is only 30K.

2) Move the 1A to Gene Cox Stadium (Tallahassee), Lake City Columbia, or Gainesville's Citizen's Field. The 1A all ready has top 4 of the largest attendances, imagine if it was actually closer to the teams playing? More money for everyone!

3) If we don't have a class (2B), plus we reduce 4A-8A by one to 4 classes, we can have 1A (Rural), 2A, and the 4 Big Classes on weekend. Times of the games would be noon, 4 pm, and 8 pm. Tickets would be good all day. Part of what the FHSAA has to try and do is make the FHSAA State Championships an event that matters. Right now, too many weekends and too many days.

All very good points. But, in my experience, FHSAA doesn't like to change. Maybe what we really need is new blood in the FHSAA. I'm ready to retire and return to Florida. Sign me up!

All very good points. But, in my experience, FHSAA doesn't like to change. Maybe what we really need is new blood in the FHSAA. I'm ready to retire and return to Florida. Sign me up!
A sunday morning thread bump.........a thread from 7 years ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT