ADVERTISEMENT

State's Oldest Continuous Rivalry

ChiefWildcat

May 8, 2013
Chief say--- H'mmmm gona be sendin up smok'em signals tonight--- who gona get the Buck tonight-- CATS vers'em DOGS--Hardee @ DeSoto--- The Chief say-- 21 to 6 CATS in an upset

its too bad the HARDEE coach did not want to continue the PALMETTO/HARDEE rivalry going- this was an old rivalry and would have been a good out of district match up for both- unfortunately the HARDEE coach broke ties to this- with that being said GOOD LUCK DESOTO whip em!

I have always found this so ironic, funny, maybe even strange.

You think about the history of Florida, most of north Florida was founded before the Civil war. And you talk about the schools in the Panhandle from Jacksonville, Madison, Perry, Monticello, Tallahassee, Marianna, Quincy, Blountstown , Chipley, Bonifay, St. Joe, Niceville, Crestview, Pensacola...One would think somewhere up there...There would be a longer rilvary......I know Palatka and St. Augustine have played a long time also

Just funny, when you think of Florida High School football and a long rivalry..Hardee and Desoto don't pop into your head... Though I am sure both always play hard

Chief say-- H'mmmm agree , Chief Martin should have keep'em Tigers on schedule-- especial since demmm striped cats finally became competitive--- maybe HWY 17 can help The Chief out-- but Chief would wager 20 buffalo blankets that the record in that match-up is something like 30-3 in the Wildcats favor--

Hardee Coach probably just got tired of a 7A school playing down 2 classes and dropped them from the schedule when Palmetto was finally forced to play in their correct classification-- so the question is does the light shine brighter on the Coach that says " I'm just not going to put up with that BS anymore" or the Coach that says " Hey look what FSHAA will let us get away with"

Hardee, you been quiet my man....
Oh I will say this.. The last time I saw Palmetto play...DAYUM....

You know the get off the bus look? OMG....Palmetto won it....Wow, the athletes they had
This post was edited on 10/30 2:39 PM by Galen Hall

Originally posted by Galen Hall:

Hardee, you been quiet my man....
Yep not much to say anymore, no reason. I'm retired and have more things on my plate to worry about than football. I've listened to a few quarters here and there on the internet but any motivation that was in me is retired and I quit listening to the same ole' song.
This post was edited on 10/30 2:45 PM by HardeeWildcatFan

Do that Chief, that's a great idea. Maybe pull him back in. Everyone gets frystrated with their programs. Heck the Tarps; easy team in the world to scheme for decades, you need to defend three plays - Belly, sweep and comeback. Some years we make it tougher with great talent in a spot or two, but its the same ol same ol. Still I can't stay away...

Chief I most likely won't be listening. Too much pain in my back and legs to sit and listen. It has nothing to do with the team. Two and half years with no medical progress with any treatment and its getting worse. I'm just afraid I will be in a wheelchair by the time someone finally decides to cut on me.

I think most fans would like to see Palmetto back on the schedule.

Chief: I have Hardee leading the series 28-8 going back to 1974 with the 'Cats winning 20 straight from 78-97. The old Palmetto coach dropped the series after 2005. It resumed in 2009-2012, Silver King came up to watch the 09 game. 'Cats won in 09, and Palmetto won in 2010, twice in 2011, and 2012.

Galen Hall: This area was also settled in antebellum times. Supposedly the names Wildcats and Bulldogs were picked by the respective schools as an honor to that time.

Hardee I am sorry to hear that....I wish the best for you....I hope you get better and you have my blessings...

You know sometimes things get put in perspective....

And you never know when, you never know how...But when they do, you know why

Follow the money. Palmetto brings no gate revenue. All levels of Palmetto do not travel well.
Not to mention you may get shot in the visitor stands. Too many cons, not enough pros.

Originally posted by Galen Hall:

I have always found this so ironic, funny, maybe even strange.

You think about the history of Florida, most of north Florida was founded before the Civil war. And you talk about the schools in the Panhandle from Jacksonville, Madison, Perry, Monticello, Tallahassee, Marianna, Quincy, Blountstown , Chipley, Bonifay, St. Joe, Niceville, Crestview, Pensacola...One would think somewhere up there...There would be a longer rilvary......I know Palatka and St. Augustine have played a long time also

Just funny, when you think of Florida High School football and a long rivalry..Hardee and Desoto don't pop into your head... Though I am sure both always play hard

GH, Not so fast my friend, let me explain why it should pop into your head.

Plain and simple; the reason is Tarpon Fishing. Now don't dismiss it, listen:

There wasn't a lot going on in post-Civil War Florida other than some farming, commercial fishing (mostly from Cuba), and pushing settlements down the railroad line. South Florida was one of the last frontiers for a reason: it was Hot, swampy and filled with mosquitoes.

In 1885 W.H. Wood , a NY Civil Engineer caught the first Tarpon on rod and reel, a feat most thought impossible with the bass fishing tackle of the day and the fighting abilities of the Tarpon. He caught it in Charlotte Harbor. Wood was egg head enough to write a very exciting article about it in a somewhat Hi-brow trade paper, Scientific American. Wealthy NY Industrialists, fat from the industrial revolution and with more time on their hands, were inspired by the idea of a Big Game fish to hunt. They'd be ready for the 1886 Tarpon season.

In early 1886, the London Observer picked up Wood's article and the Brits went crazy for a new, sexy fish in a new location to pursue. That year Henry Plant's railroad was extended from Bartow to Punta Gorda, the next year, 1887, the Punta Gorda Hotel (300 person capacity in the middle of nowhere) was opened by a holding company of the railroad. At Punta Gorda, fishermen could fish off the hotel dock and catch Tarpon, head up river and catch them or take a steam launch to Schutlz's Tarpon Inn at Punta Rassa before 1900, then after 1902 they could head to Useppa (A wealthy Chicago streetcar builder owned it and opened up a Tarpon Inn on it). The rail line made it down to Ft Myers in 1904 opening up the area even more. It really wasn't until Useppa opened that Boca Grande became such a hot spot for Tarpon.

But in 1886/87 several things came together like the perfect storm: Wildly popular Big Game Fish on the outskirts of the new frontier, the Everglades; transportation from NY right to Charlotte Harbor; and lodging at the fishing point. The thing Florida lacked at the outset were tackle shops, so fisherman loaded up with Vom Hofe rods, reels,snoods and hooks on NY's Fulton Street. Local mullet fisherman quickly found they could make more cash taking rich Yankees Tarpon fishing then hauling nets.

Heck, I can show you a couple books and articles that mention Jacksonville as an afterthought stop for trains heading between New York and Punta Gorda. A Limey could get off the boat in NY, hit Fulton street for his tackle, then board a southbound and arrive in Punta Gorda (Stop in Jacksonville) in 24 hours. Those wealthy industrialists spread the news, newspapers, magazines and books followed. Then similar folks with pockets full of greenbacks started coming from Philly, Chicago as well as even more Brits coming.

Historians say the Tarpon helped develop South Florida, because all those wealthy gents started investing. The Tarpon provided the perfect sporting reason to help Flagler and Plant build the railroad system south.

OK, here we go for the football connection: As towns sprung up along the rail line or grew because of it, in Wauchula, Arcadia, Punta Gorda and eventually Ft Myers, those communities began trading with each other more and more. They became more familiar with one another. As secondary education came into play and sports, naturally the idea of playing that next stop down the line became popular. Wauchula and Acadia are the oldest, but Punta Gorda and Ft Myers (1926) aren't far off. From there it spread to other communities.

So there it is, it's because of the railroad heading south to an area where populations were sparse. Tarpon fishing gave the deep pockets the reason to come down and see the place. That helped towns prosper and afford things like school buildings and equip sports teams.

The book should be done next year…

This post was edited on 10/31 1:49 PM by Silver King

Here is the deal, Hardee - Desoto rivalry is the OFFICIAL oldest. Hardee and Desoto use to be part of Sarasota County before they broke it apart. Sarasota was broken apart, then there was Sarasota County and then Desoto County. The problem with this was people up in Wauchula had to travel to Ft Odgen to go to the post office. Eventually Desoto County was split into two counties Desoto and Hardee (named after Governor Hardee).

But most people do not realize or even know that both Arcadia had high schools named Arcadia High School and Wauchula High School. They were playing football against each other before the split and kept on playing after the split. HWY17 found articles of them playing before 1921. They have played every single year without any breaks whatsoever.

I know history about Arcadia because it got its name from my Great, Great Grandmother Arcadia Albritton. She was my grand mothers grand mother and my grand mother's dad was her son, Sebastian "Bass" Coker. Arcadia married and her marriage name was Arcadia Coker. She resided in Limestone and was the first RN Nurse at Arcadia Hospital. She use to take the train everyday to go to work and back home. She is buried at Coker Cemetery in Limestone and only us kin are allowed to visit that cemetery. Her son, Sebastian "Bass" Coker use to live in the Carlton Home, the one at the Florida State Fair. My dad lived with him growing up and in that house.

How Arcadia got its name is unique but you will have to read about it on the internet. There is even a billboard of some type at the Desoto Courthouse that tells the story how Arcadia got its name.

Also how both Hardee and Desoto got their names are unique like HWY17 stated. Also Hernando County got their name from the same military unit that was stationed in Hernando County. A lot of those military personal were stationed there were from Wauchula and Arcadia. This is how they both got their mascot names. Very unique if you read about it.

Also in Desoto there was a landing at Peace River, I can't think of its name off the top of my head but it was a place where exports was brought in from Charlotte Bay.

I have a lot of kin here in Hardee and a lot in Desoto County. I also have kin in Charlotte County. There three counties are full of people that are kin to each other.

I have all my ancestry set from today to the very first person who settled in South Carolina then made their way down here.

Originally posted by Silver King:

GH, Not so fast my friend, let me explain why it should pop into your head. Plain and simple; the reason is Tarpon Fishing. Now don't dismiss it, listen:
There wasn't a lot going on in post-Civil War Florida other than some farming, commercial fishing (mostly from Cuba), and pushing settlements down the railroad line. South Florida was one of the last frontiers for a reason: it was Hot, swampy and filled with mosquitoes.

In 1885 W.H. Wood , a NY Civil Engineer caught the first Tarpon on rod and reel, a feat most thought impossible with the bass fishing tackle of the day and the fighting abilities of the Tarpon. He caught it in Charlotte Harbor. Wood was egg head enough to write a very exciting article about it in a somewhat Hi-brow trade paper, Scientific American. Wealthy NY Industrialists, fat from the industrial revolution and with more time on their hands, were inspired by the idea of a Big Game fish to hunt. They'd be ready for the 1886 Tarpon season.

In early 1886, the London Observer picked up Wood's article and the Brits went crazy for a new, sexy fish in a new location to pursue. That year Henry Plant's railroad was extended from Bartow to Punta Gorda, the next year, 1887, the Punta Gorda Hotel (300 person capacity in the middle of nowhere) was opened by a holding company of the railroad. At Punta Gorda, fishermen could fish off the hotel dock and catch Tarpon, head up river and catch them or take a steam launch to Schutlz's Tarpon Inn at Punta Rassa before 1900, then after 1902 they could head to Useppa (A wealthy Chicago streetcar builder owned it and opened up a Tarpon Inn on it). The rail line made it down to Ft Myers in 1904 opening up the area even more. It really wasn't until Useppa opened that Boca Grande became such a hot spot for Tarpon.

But in 1886/87 several things came together like the perfect storm: Wildly popular Big Game Fish on the outskirts of the new frontier, the Everglades; transportation from NY right to Charlotte Harbor; and lodging at the fishing point. The thing Florida lacked at the outset were tackle shops, so fisherman loaded up with Vom Hofe rods, reels,snoods and hooks on NY's Fulton Street. Local mullet fisherman quickly found they could make more cash taking rich Yankees Tarpon fishing then hauling nets.

Heck, I can show you a couple books and articles that mention Jacksonville as an afterthought stop for trains heading between New York and Punta Gorda. A Limey could get off the boat in NY, hit Fulton street for his tackle, then board a southbound and arrive in Punta Gorda (Stop in Jacksonville) in 24 hours. Those wealthy industrialists spread the news, newspapers, magazines and books followed. Then similar folks with pockets full of greenbacks started coming from Philly, Chicago as well as even more Brits coming.

Historians say the Tarpon helped develop South Florida, because all those wealthy gents started investing. The Tarpon provided the perfect sporting reason to help Flagler and Plant build the railroad system south.
SK ... could you be a little bit more specific?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT