ADVERTISEMENT

Small Private Schools Football Programs Declining?

FLAVarsityFan

Aug 16, 2013
Wanted to throw this out there to other people around the state and see if other areas are seeing a decline in small private schools football programs just not having kids come out? I know where I'm at there's been an issue with a school and they've cancelled their spring game already and practice hasn't even started?! I don't understand how you cancel the game months before you even start practicing? Kind of crazy. Anyone else seeing this anywhere? In Pinellas or Orlando?

This post was edited on 3/14 9:11 AM by FLAVarsityFan

classy move by Bradenton Christian......terrible

Some schools are certainly declining, like Bradenton Christian school. They canceled their spring game against St. Stephens because they knew they were going to get killed and because their numbers continue to decline. Still, another classy move by the their Coach.

This post was edited on 3/14 12:15 PM by PingDaddy

This scenario did play out here in Ocala with St. John's Lutheran a team that played in 2A. In the 2010 season the Saints had a roster of 40 and were 9-2. Went to the first round of the playoffs. Their leading RB Caleb Alexander had 1,575 yards rushing and 279 yards receiving in only 9 games. In the 2011 season the Saints had a roster of 40 and were 9-3. Went to the 2nd round of the playoffs and played Warner Christian tough.Their leading RB Caleb Alexander had 2,537 yards rushing and 156 yards receiving in 12 games. In 2012 they had a very low turnout for football and went 3-7. In 2013 the turnout was only 11 players. The HC then cancelled the season. In 2014 the Saints tried to come back but with less than 18 players. They went 0-7 in an independent league which was nowhere near equal to 2A. I'm assuming they will try to field a team for the upcoming season as they do have a new HC.

Does anyone think small schools will move to 7 on 7 leagues? That would require less players, reducing costs. Without players pounding each other in the trenches, it would probably also reducing injuries.

I've seen a lot of colleges move to 7-player rugby. Maybe football is next.

Re: classy move by Bradenton Christian......terrible

I've heard it from many sources(local coaches/college recruiters) over the years how the head guy at Bradenton Christian talks about how much better than Joe Kinnan he is, which says alot about his ego. I think at these small programs it takes the right guy to get kids out and grow a program. Some of these guys come in with loads of big school experience, have success with talent for a few years. The difference between a great small school coach is when its time to groom younger kids into talent and get kids to come out their lack of IT as a head coach shines through. Once a program starts canceling spring football games against a local team with small numbers as well it looks like the ship is sinking. BCS also managed to run off their returning starter at QB who ended up as a starter(though not at QB) at Southeast high school.

Re: classy move by Bradenton Christian......terrible

I think it's a cycle with Private Schools. Very, very few small private schools have success where they are always in the final 4 or even making the playoffs every year.

I've always enjoyed small private school football- as an alumni at St. Petersburg Catholic and having had friends at many, many other private schools in the Tampa and Orlando area.

In Pinellas County, we have quite a few small private schools- St. Pete Canterbury, Keswick Christian, Admiral Farragut, Calvary Christian- all of whom have had difficulty making numbers at points in recent years.

If I look at the entire Tampa Bay area from 2000, which for small private schools would be considered the "Modern Era"- there's only 1 team that's been consistently consistent and has a winning record against every other private school in the area- that's Clearwater Central Catholic, their last losing regular season was 1994. So, they are the exception to the rule. Everyone else has had losing seasons, very rough times, defections and other issues.

In the early 2000's, Tampa Catholic had MAJOR issues fielding a football team- they didn't even have a home field. Berkeley Prep had struggles as well. For a few seasons, St. Petersburg Catholic has had to cancel their entire JV season to bring up guys to even field a Varsity team.

But, it's a combination of things. Berkeley Prep is able to snag Dom Ciao who builds Berkeley into a major contender behind Nelson Agholor for a few seasons, Tampa Catholic is able to get to 2 state title games because their legendary coach is able to build a strong team with Christian and Chaz Green. Indian Rocks Christian made the finals last year after 2 strong seasons. When you chart seasons out, all of these teams have had their highs and lows.

I truthfully think it comes down to the coaches as well, look at the successful coaches- they are staying at their schools and building programs, not coming in for 1 great class and leaving. I look at Tampa Catholic as a great example. Bob Henriquez builds the program to be a powerhouse, leaves the school in 2000..and the program goes straight down the tubes..he comes back in 2005 and by 2007 they are playing for a State Championship.

I never thought about it until you guys started talking about it but Florida does have 6 man, and 8 man football

The league is called Florida Christian Athletic Association for Private and Parochial Schools (FCAPPS)

I wonder how hard it would be for these fading 11 man teams to jump into this league and play 6 or 8 man ball

Here is the site.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=fcappssportsfootball&s=football

Participation is down at all schools, of all sizes. The effect on small enrollments would be among the first noticeable signs.

Having coached in that league, I can tell you that the same issue applies.

Teams commit - then drop... then other teams are forced to play 11 games instead of ten or lose their open week because a team needs a game.

Three teams didn't even finish the season last year (which is understandable) in the 8 man league and the playoffs are based on margin of victory, not 'district' standings.. which is incredibly confusing.

Originally posted by Mr HiSchool:
Having coached in that league, I can tell you that the same issue applies.

Teams commit - then drop... then other teams are forced to play 11 games instead of ten or lose their open week because a team needs a game.

Three teams didn't even finish the season last year (which is understandable) in the 8 man league and the playoffs are based on margin of victory, not 'district' standings.. which is incredibly confusing.
Sounds like your encouraging running the score up in a Christian league no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT