ADVERTISEMENT

Seabreeze coach resigns

307mac

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2009
Longtime Seabreeze football coach Marc Beach steps down

bilde
[/URL]

Coach Marc Beach, center, has been with the Sandcrabs' program since 1995 and led Seabreeze to a 5-6 record this past season.News-Journal file

By Danny Klein
danny.klein@news-jrnl.com

Published: Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 4:10 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 5:34 p.m.

It was tough for Marc Beach to look back at his Seabreeze career, a run that began in 1995, and explain how much it all meant.

What he had to do on Thursday may have been even tougher.

The longtime Sandcrabs football coach gathered his players and informed them he would not return for a 15th season leading the program. Beach accepted a job as an offensive coordinator at Tift County High School in Georgia, joining close friend and former Murray State defensive coordinator Ashley Anders, who recently took over the head coaching gig.

"It's been a great run. I've had a lot of really, really great kids come through," Beach said. "Hopefully I've touched their lives as much as they've touched mine. It was very tough day. One of the toughest things I've ever had to do."

Beach was 98-59 in his tenure as Seabreeze's head coach. He reached the postseason 10 times and is coming off a 5-6 year that ended with a 35-0 loss to Orlando Edgewater in the Class 6A regional semifinals.

Seabreeze principal Robert Wallace said the school won't make any "knee jerk" reactions when it comes to looking for a replacement.

"Not only is he a good football coach, he's just as good as a man, as a person and he's great for kids," Wallace said. "Those are big shoes to fill. But I'm certain that there are people that we'll find to pick up the ball and start a new tradition here."

Beach, who graduated from Valdosta State in Georgia, started off as an assistant at Seabreeze in 1995 before being named head coach in 2001. He was also an assistant at Georgia's Quitman Brooks County in 1994.

In that span, Beach said he's tried to focus on the off-the-field accomplishments as much as the football ones.

"There's all kind of guys who have gone through here and have been successful and have gotten good jobs, and that's what I like to see," Beach said. "That's what's gratifying to me; the success of the kids after football. … It was extremely hard to leave because it is such a great place.

"I have to thank the administration since I've been there," he added. "All of the parents and players and, ultimately, all the coaches that have helped me throughout all of my years there. … It's hard to believe that it's gone by that fast."

Seabreeze athletic director Steve Gold said replacing Beach won't be easy.

"Seabreeze has had a very good tradition in their football program for many years," Gold said. "Personally, I'm going to hate to see Marc go. We're going to miss him. … The school will miss him and his family. We wish him the best from the athletic staff. We all thought a lot of Marc."

By Danny Klein

Coach Marc Beach, center, has been with the Sandcrabs' program since 1995 and led Seabreeze to a 5-6 record this past season.News-JournalOnline.comMarch 5, 2015 5:34 PM

It was tough for Marc Beach to look back at his Seabreeze career, a run that began in 1995, and explain how much it all meant.
What he had to do on Thursday may have been even tougher.
The longtime Sandcrabs football coach gathered his players and informed them he would not return for a 15th season leading the program. Beach accepted a job as an offensive coordinator at Tift County High School in Georgia, joining close friend and former Murray State defensive coordinator Ashley Anders, who recently took over the head coaching gig.
"It's been a great run. I've had a lot of really, really great kids come through," Beach said. "Hopefully I've touched their lives as much as they've touched mine. It was very tough day. One of the toughest things I've ever had to do."
Beach was 98-59 in his tenure as Seabreeze's head coach. He reached the postseason 10 times and is coming off a 5-6 year that ended with a 35-0 loss to Orlando Edgewater in the Class 6A regional semifinals.
Seabreeze principal Robert Wallace said the school won't make any "knee jerk" reactions when it comes to looking for a replacement.
"Not only is he a good football coach, he's just as good as a man, as a person and he's great for kids," Wallace said. "Those are big shoes to fill. But I'm certain that there are people that we'll find to pick up the ball and start a new tradition here."
Beach, who graduated from Valdosta State in Georgia, started off as an assistant at Seabreeze in 1995 before being named head coach in 2001. He was also an assistant at Georgia's Quitman Brooks County in 1994.
In that span, Beach said he's tried to focus on the off-the-field accomplishments as much as the football ones.
"There's all kind of guys who have gone through here and have been successful and have gotten good jobs, and that's what I like to see," Beach said. "That's what's gratifying to me; the success of the kids after football. … It was extremely hard to leave because it is such a great place.
"I have to thank the administration since I've been there," he added. "All of the parents and players and, ultimately, all the coaches that have helped me throughout all of my years there. … It's hard to believe that it's gone by that fast."
Seabreeze athletic director Steve Gold said replacing Beach won't be easy.
"Seabreeze has had a very good tradition in their football program for many years," Gold said. "Personally, I'm going to hate to see Marc go. We're going to miss him. … The school will miss him and his family. We wish him the best from the athletic staff. We all thought a lot of Marc."Copyright 2015 News-JournalOnline.com - All rights reserved. Restricted use only.

Next Page

http://www.taboola.com/popup?templa...oola_utm_content=thumbs-2r:below-main-column:

Wow to be a head coach for SOOO long then leave on your own to be an OC... That is weird.

I bet Tift probably pays their assistants more than Volusia pays their HC's though.

Originally posted by peezy28:
Wow to be a head coach for SOOO long then leave on your own to be an OC... That is weird.

I bet Tift probably pays their assistants more than Volusia pays their HC's though.
Exactly! And it could lead to a HC job in GA which pays a good bit more. I have friends that over doubled their coaching pay and got 1/2 duty teaching jobs or just a couple of weight classes with full teacher pay.

Its the same way at some private schools. Make as much or more being an assistant at a private than being the HC at a public school, way less headaches.

Kind of OT, but I have a question about Georgia.

Why are their school buses convertibles?
4549055239_0d8e49ab8e.jpg

Originally posted by riverrat1961:
I guess you never loaded water melons !!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
You know now that you say that I have seen one of those with a ton of Watermelons loaded up on them before.

As a city slicker turned watermelon tosser for one day long ago here's what you missed out on : Suwannee County (Live Oak,Fl), 95 degree summer heat, not a cloud in the sky. Arrive at 7am with a friend from Madison County and two Bulldog's from the Suwanee High football team. City Dan and one of the Bulldogs start out walking on each side of a large flat bed truck with 4ft wooden rails. As the truck slowly drives between the rows of cut from the vine watermellons we bend over and toss the mellons up to our partners who catch and stack them. Up and down the rows we go until the truck is filled up. Then we hop aboard, and head back to the house where the 48ft tractor tailer is waiting. Us four and the driver form a line and pass each watermellon to an experienced packer. He stacks them 6 or 7 high putting hay between them. Empty the flat bed...back to the field. Over,and over, and over...a couple rest stops along the way ( only the heart of the mellon is good enough for me and my country brothers at these short timeouts). About 2pm me and the boys top out the trailer. City Dan's thinking give me my $40 and let's get the $%&@ out of here. Just then another EMPTY 48fter pulls in the driveway. DAMN!!!! We go to a little after 4:00 o'clock and get about a 1/4 of the new truck loaded. Owner tells us we did a great job. As he hands over the money, he thanks us and with a powerful hand shake says he'll see us all in the morning. That is except CITY DAN. Sorry boys but that one day was enough for me. I didn't eat another watermellon that year. Did I tell you my Live Oak tobacco story ?

Originally posted by Dan in Daytona:
As a city slicker turned watermelon tosser for one day long ago here's what you missed out on : Suwannee County (Live Oak,Fl), 95 degree summer heat, not a cloud in the sky. Arrive at 7am with a friend from Madison County and two Bulldog's from the Suwanee High football team. City Dan and one of the Bulldogs start out walking on each side of a large flat bed truck with 4ft wooden rails. As the truck slowly drives between the rows of cut from the vine watermellons we bend over and toss the mellons up to our partners who catch and stack them. Up and down the rows we go until the truck is filled up. Then we hop aboard, and head back to the house where the 48ft tractor tailer is waiting. Us four and the driver form a line and pass each watermellon to an experienced packer. He stacks them 6 or 7 high putting hay between them. Empty the flat bed...back to the field. Over,and over, and over...a couple rest stops along the way ( only the heart of the mellon is good enough for me and my country brothers at these short timeouts). About 2pm me and the boys top out the trailer. City Dan's thinking give me my $40 and let's get the $%&@ out of here. Just then another EMPTY 48fter pulls in the driveway. DAMN!!!! We go to a little after 4:00 o'clock and get about a 1/4 of the new truck loaded. Owner tells us we did a great job. As he hands over the money, he thanks us and with a powerful hand shake says he'll see us all in the morning. That is except CITY DAN. Sorry boys but that one day was enough for me. I didn't eat another watermellon that year. Did I tell you my Live Oak tobacco story ?
Sounds just like i remember back in the late 70's when watermelons where big not these little 15 pound seedless things they have now. 4 tractor trailer loads a day until the season was over with an average weight of 35 pounds. Then it was on to picking bell pepper and cropping tobacco the rest of the summer, by the time football started in the fall you where in great shape and hard as a rock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT