ADVERTISEMENT

School Choice

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
I was just reading a Florida paper and saw an article saying that School Choice is being pushed very hard in the legislature and that students can even cross county lines.

I know the issues it will raise for high school sports. But, I'm trying to figure how one county district will fund the increase of students. Will one county have to pay another based on the number of students who cross over? Will this produce shortfalls for maintaining their own schools?

For sports, it will be a melee! Coaches will not only have to make certain their current players stay academically qualified, physically fit, and out of trouble. The will also have to visit every middle school within their county and in surrounding counties recruiting players. In a way, principles will have to do the same. Don't they get more funding for these specialty Choice education programs?

All I can say is I'm glad my boys are grown. I wouldn't want them to have to make this choice nor be left out of being pursued by other schools. Either way, it won't be good!

This is going to be a gaggle with the introduction of the FHSAA being replaced along with this crossing the lines. Such a rip off of the systems.

Atlantic Coast HS is a Choice school with three programs of academic study: Information Technology - Code writing, digital graphics, digital video (video gaming!). Video production. and AP Studies. All are academic opportunities for students in Duval and parts of St.Johns Counties. See the district website or contact the school for more information.

Reactions: blackpopsicle
I was just reading a Florida paper and saw an article saying that School Choice is being pushed very hard in the legislature and that students can even cross county lines.

I know the issues it will raise for high school sports. But, I'm trying to figure how one county district will fund the increase of students. Will one county have to pay another based on the number of students who cross over? Will this produce shortfalls for maintaining their own schools?

For sports, it will be a melee! Coaches will not only have to make certain their current players stay academically qualified, physically fit, and out of trouble. The will also have to visit every middle school within their county and in surrounding counties recruiting players. In a way, principles will have to do the same. Don't they get more funding for these specialty Choice education programs?

All I can say is I'm glad my boys are grown. I wouldn't want them to have to make this choice nor be left out of being pursued by other schools. Either way, it won't be good!

It has been explained to me that basically the FHSAA as a governing body will be out the window... even age restriction will be lifted (within reason). Potentially the 19 and 9 months rule will be gone and if the kid is legally an enrolled student at your school the only thing that can make him ineligible is his GPA. Crazy. As far as the crossing county lines, busing will not be provided. If a child wishes to cross that county/district line in order to attend a specific school it is on them to make sure they are able to reach/attend said school. Of course, it is stated that "openly recruiting" will be monitored (but overseen by whom I am not sure)... Welcome to the Wild, Wild West fellas... it will get messy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT