ADVERTISEMENT

Political Football Is No Substitute For the Real Thing

Read the Cortez article in it's entirety. He's obviously a seriously pissed-off football fan and, perhaps, relies on writing about college football to put food on his table.

Then I dropped down and read a few reader comments. One that grabbed my attention was this extremely predictable reply by a bigot named "El Norte":

"... the only reason to play (college football) is make money off of the largely Black and poor athletes for the amusement of whites ..."

Nu'Trelle rests his case.

The colleges can't win and most of them are smart enough to realize it.

If they play, they're wrong. If they don't play, same deal. A college can't do anything right. They can only make a mistake and draw criticism from 10 or 12 different directions.

Classic. Convenient, too.

I didn't make it down to read the comments on that article, but I agree totally with your sentiments!
Don't know that I would classify myself as really pissed off about the possibility of no college football.......I haven't turned of the TV to watch the abbreviated season of baseball, pro basketball lost me as a fan over 10 years ago......while the pro football season at this point appears to still be on, I was really turned off by all this social justice BS they feel compelled to get involved in.....I'm heading in the direction of not watching it either......HS sports and collegiate sports is about all I still watch regularly at this point.

I haven't been to a college football game since OSU and UF played in the Taxslayer Bowl the year before Meyer took over. Just got fed up with the type of people who go to the games to get drunk and make a$$es of themselves. It's not worth the expense or frustration.

I hope and pray that college football gets to the point where HS players are allowed to sign, skip college and go straight into a minor league NFL farm system. Let the "superstars" who are pissed about attending college for free go through the same pain and frustration as most minor-league baseball prospects.

Then they can labor in places like Stuebenville or Schenectady. They'll be able to get a good hard taste of what it's like to play in front of 300-400 people and never see a TV camera. Maybe that would wake up an entire generation of know-nothing knuckleheads who think they're God's gift to football.

Conversely, it would open up the game and the scholarships to kids who are actually smart enough to attend college and have a true desire to earn a degree. It would mean the game could once again be played by student-athletes.

And for those who would insist, "Well, you better be ready to watch players on Saturdays that are only half as good as what could be out there, I'd reply, "Sounds good to me. I've been waiting for years to watch players who can stay out of jail and actually manage to put a full sentence together."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT