ADVERTISEMENT

O-Line a lost art

tampa1

Oct 11, 2007
http://www.buccaneers.com/news/arti...e-Part-4/0300ee7d-18b5-4bca-a055-5bb2fcd05bc0
After watching T.J. Clemmings video on here I have to say teaching pass protection is a lost art.

If I was coaching at the NUC (national underclassman combine) and was getting these results you would see the Donald duck come out of me!

thanidonald2.gif

Couldn't find the video, but as an old school dinosaur, I agree. I've watched a lot of pass blocking schemes with things as sophisticated as touch changes to the guy next to you after the snap. It just seems to me some schemes make O-line pass blocking a lot tougher than it has to be, particularly for HS kids. They still can only come at you from so many gaps, overload or blitz. O-lines should know their individual and collective responsibilities for backside, pulling on a bootleg or trap pass or selling play action. As a four year starter and the smallest OT in the NAIA I gave up 1 1/2 sacks, and the 1 was as a freshman to Ed Smith of Colorado College who was playing for the Broncos the next year. Four of the five O-lineman started as freshman the other guy was an All American OT a year ahead of us. That helps, so does having four different 1,000 yard rushers in those four years that set up the play action. You have an arsenal of technique: Fire off and get into the guy, drop back, pop n cut, or just get into his legs- you change it up. Plus, when I was engaged if a linebacker was coming through my inside gap, they never once called me for tripping by planting that left leg in the gap or laying out vertically by leg whipping to slow him down.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT